Author Topic: Mesh deformation instead of parented objects  (Read 4214 times)

Rayved

• It ain't easy being cheesy
    • View Profile
Mesh deformation instead of parented objects
« on: 2012-09-13 23:17:03 »
Would it be possible to have a plugin change the way the animation works? I'm not talking about bone movements but a smooth skin bind to the skeleton instead of just parented objects and polygons that go through each other. In other words, the modern way to do character animations in games.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Re: Mesh deformation instead of parented objects
« Reply #1 on: 2012-09-14 13:28:39 »
I am going to preemptively say no, not in the current game engine, Maybe in q-gears. I'm not sure this is even controlled by Aali's driver. So i don't think he can help out either.

archerxtreme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-09-14 16:45:16 »
From what i've seen so far i'd have to agree Hellbringer616 though i'm still kinda new to this modding

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-09-14 16:58:48 »
Meeeeh..... that sucks, but there's gotta be a way, somehow. Wish I had studied in programming too.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 2012-09-14 17:02:00 »
there is always a way. but not always one that can be followed without help. and there is not always those that want to help.

narcku

• Like what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-09-15 04:55:44 »
Would it be possible to have a plugin change the way the animation works? I'm not talking about bone movements but a smooth skin bind to the skeleton instead of just parented objects and polygons that go through each other. In other words, the modern way to do character animations in games.

Even if there's a way, what do you plan to do with the models?
Rig them one by one :o ? And what about the animations?

Or do you mean something like a "magical plugin" to do all this in one go :| ?

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-09-15 16:24:52 »
Something like that wouldn't bother the already existing models. Having a parented object to a bone is still common in animation nowadays with big pieces of armors and stuff. As for the animation, I don't know how the plugin would work but if it doesn't require to change the bones themselves to make it work, nothing should change. What the plugin would do (in an ideal world) is to make the users be able to rig skin over the already existing skeletons.