Author Topic: New Admins  (Read 24761 times)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Re: New Admins
« Reply #75 on: 2010-05-31 06:09:07 »
Personally I'd call for a whole reform of the forums. Put a specific area for guests to ask their lazy questions and have it auto clear up at the end of a month. Put a specific tutorials area. Basically make sections out to be more specific. The only thing is I wouldn't want is to strip the board of all it's current posts during the reform  :-\

Also to put a front page, faq, or some warnings up on the forum to use search or to look for answers etc.

Of course probably send out a mass ban email warning that if some people don't answer it they will get banned for inactivity. Not like, they've been busy for a month and don't have anything particular they want to post on. But for the users who created accounts to get a few questions answered and just left.

of course that's my two cents for what should be done besides banning, warnings, etc. Not saying I should be the one to do it. But I'd certainly would put my effort into it if I was given the opportunity. I'm online just about every day and check onto the board frequently. So I'd be able to take care of most situations fast.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2010-05-31 08:09:21 »
Well these forums is a modder's community instead of helping to make ff7 run on my pc forums.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2010-05-31 08:40:33 »
Well these forums is a modder's community instead of helping to make ff7 run on my pc forums.

I think you misinterperated me. I was just pointing out the problems I see on the board being that most people come here for that reason. Yes I think it would be good to boost up stuff for the modding community. As I was suggesting the tutorials section I was thinking on modding tutorials. Thats what I mean by making more specific sections. I think that giving one section to play nice with the newbs will be worthwhile to give us a break from all the runup of useless threads they make before leaving.

I personally can hardly remember asking a tech question on FF7 and modding. Mostly I've been here out of interest in the community and to add new perspective to peoples ideas.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2010-05-31 08:51:41 »
Oh don't worry about it. I just wanted to say that since nowadays there are more members who only join to make their game run fine and how to use mods found on the forums instead of contributing.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2010-05-31 14:14:59 »
Although I agree an admin (or more mods) is not a bad idea and I have nothing to say on obesebear's character good or bad since I don't pay attention to these things,  I've never seen an admin get promotted after he asked to be.  On any forums.  In the last 10 years I've spent on the net.  Ever.

As for the layout of the forums I would actually leave things as they are right now except I would split game tweaking in two sub-sections : graphical mods and other mods.  I've felt for a while that the graphical mods really overshadow the other mods out there and there's only so many AC models, weapons retexture or Avatar mods I can really care for before it all starts to blend in.

I usually find the engine related mods to be more interesting to me (with a few exceptions like Team Avalanche's efforts and the NPC project for example).

Edit : I thought this http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=4219.0 would be of some interest to the topic at hand.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-31 15:43:25 by Marc »

ScottMcTony

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2010-05-31 14:34:18 »
I, the mighty seconder, second the idea of a tutorials board, of a graphics mod sub-forum, and of obesebear for admin.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2010-05-31 19:07:19 »
Oh don't worry about it. I just wanted to say that since nowadays there are more members who only join to make their game run fine and how to use mods found on the forums instead of contributing.
(Note: when I say FF7 include extra pages in mind for FF8 and others included in our modding)
Well, hence why I think there should be a FAQ. Maybe both in big bold letters on forum header and index page of Qhimm.Com; both leading to same FAQ. In Fact, probably should make multiple FAQS. One for various trouble shoots with FF7. How to install mods/trouble shoot them. How to mod Faq. Etc.

Now who has the permissions for the Qhimm Wiki?

If need be I'll offer up some of my webspace and try to install some basic wiki set up so that I could get everyones Faqs into it.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2010-06-01 04:14:33 »
I think only Halkun can give permission to the wiki??

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2010-06-01 22:13:53 »
i like the idea of splitting the mod section into graphics and models, but both should be WIP boards. The thing that drives me nuts around here is the way most people don't label their work [WIP] or [REL] to denote if it is a finished product of simply something in the future. I hate reading through pages of posts only to find out the damn thing isn't even released yet.

Making a unified "releases" boards would ensure that all finished content ends up in one easy to find board. This also stops most discussions from going wayyyyyyyyyy of topic in release threads, when most posts should end up in the [WIP] thread. REL threads tend to stay strictly within the "good job dude" and maybe constructive criticism.

In short, individual boards for work-in-progress graphics and models, and a single board for finished releases. My count for obesebear (or anyone for that matter) to get moderator powers. Imagine what will happen if people start realizing there is no one regulating the boards.

Also think Aali's driver needs it's own dedicated board as well.

lets hope a higher power checks this thread out and can implement a few changes to make this place run a little smoother.

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2010-06-01 22:23:48 »
There is a reason Team Avalanches release thread is locked and stickied  :-P

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2010-06-01 23:05:17 »
There is a reason Team Avalanches release thread is locked and stickied  :-P

i was refering more to the general "game tweaking" section, which has become a kind of catch-all lately. Game tweaking reads to me like a discussion forum, and releases should go somewhere else. It can be a chore to dig up old mods, especially if you don't know the name. Search can be useless at time, and you cannot hope to sift through the hundreds of duplicate threads to find a release.

Thats just my opinion, im a member of a bunch of PC game boards and this is the only one that lumps discussion in with releases. TA is exempt from m complaint because we have our own section, and it is kept very clean.

lee