Author Topic: Final Fantasy VIII AI info  (Read 6069 times)

volvania

• View Profile
Final Fantasy VIII AI info
« on: 2014-09-07 15:12:52 »
This is a request to -Mcindus-DLPB-obesebear-Kaldarasha-Covarr-gjoerulv-Colly-LandonRayW-random_npc-Vgr-myst6re,and whoever can help.

I will make this short, we who are not very good in programming would like to preform some tweaks by ourselves i myself did some changes to the monsters ai in ff8 thanks to the help of the forum and the posts some of you posted few years ago, now i see many hard mode ver released for ff8 including changes to many things i would like to know about i will name two things i am interested in and lacking info on first is , How can you change items and magic attributes like how to remove vit0 from meldtdown and how to give the item Hero the attribute of shell only and how to make hi potion heals for x amount of hp? ,also how to adjust Magic Damage Multipliers? .

The second info i would like to know is an explanation for the monsters AI i know how to change the dialog in the c0m.dat file for the giving monster and i did change some skills for example i made ifirit use flare instead of fire but that's the only thing i can change simple numbers to change certain skills but how can i add more commands? a long explanation is very much appreciated.

i know i sound demanding but forgive my simple english skills i am checking the forums for more than 3 years now but still there is no info in the ai it would be nice to share your discovery guys just look at the info i posted once a guy replied to me saying (thank you for your post,My difficulty has been resolved.) http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12717.0

There is many people checking for modding info but non seem to be posted there is only releases we want to mod and make our own game play style someday :D thank you soo much for reading i really hope there will be replies from you guys i will check every day in hope for any news (its not necessary to post a long lesson if you don't have the time or not feeling to type , a simple copy paste from the discovery would be appreciated TYVM) luv you guys.

edit: i will be satasfied with for example the bite bug c0m.dat file section 8 the offset for what the enemy does when it gets a turn.  That starts at 73E0.  You’ll see 02 02 03 00.  explain to me the numbers and what it does if possible again thank you very much people.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-07 17:47:23 by volvania »

Shard

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VIII AI info
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-07 15:54:06 »
Monster AI is probably done much in the same way as in the RPG maker series. Each monster has a full list of commands and a percentage chance to use them given certain conditions (health, who's in your party, etc). Unfortunately we don't have the data structures for battle scenes yet to edit that kind of stuff. You'll have to play around with guess-and-check unless you want to be the one who breaks the file format.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-07 20:01:23 »
As far as I'm aware there isn't much information on FF8 AI yet. I know you can edit the stats, but AI is still a foggy area. Even starting character stats aren't completely known yet (not talking about the savemap), and there's overall a lot unknown that we should really reverse engineer. This community focuses a lot more on FF7 and while that's good I hope there was more work done on VIII.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-07 21:06:02 »
Monster AI is probably done much in the same way as in the RPG maker series. Each monster has a full list of commands and a percentage chance to use them given certain conditions (health, who's in your party, etc).

What makes you say that? VI and VII both have fully-fledged script engines, and there are lots of scripted sets of actions in FFVIII battles.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-07 21:51:00 »
I don't see the difference between what you said and what I said.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-07 23:26:53 »
It sounds like you're talking about a list of commands - attack IDs - just mapped to conditions, am I correct? I'm talking about a proper scripting language with variables, flow control and direct access to battle functions.

Anyway, OP, I'm sure I've seen a thread at some point detailing an (incomplete) reverse of the enemy scripts. I will try and find it for you.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-07 23:42:24 by Bosola »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2014-09-08 13:30:20 »
It sounds like you're talking about a list of commands - attack IDs - just mapped to conditions, am I correct? I'm talking about a proper scripting language with variables, flow control and direct access to battle functions.

In that sense, FFVI did NOT have a scripted language. It had a very strict progression of "do one of these actions on the next turn" with few basic conditions.