Author Topic: Learning Enemy Skills without winning the battle?  (Read 3366 times)

Kefka

• View Profile
Hi guys,

like the thread title says, I’m looking for a way to learn enemy skills without actually having to defeat the enemies afterwards. I always found it strange that you could learn an enemy skill (and can even use it right away in that same battle), but if you run from the battle the skill becomes “unlearned” again. Not only is this illogical, but it’s also a major hindrance for low level games, as having to win the battle forces you to earn EXP. I’d like to be able to learn enemy skills even when running from the battle, does anybody happen to know how to make that possible? Any ideas are welcome.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Enemy Skills without winning the battle?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-10-13 20:53:15 »
This should go on the Big Bug thread.  It may not be a bug but it's clearly an oversight.  Though I think this one has already been logged:

goo.gl/ud0MIF

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2016-10-14 02:36:26 »
It would take a non-trivial re-write to enable this. I have the rewards method mostly mapped out and the "enable ESkills on materia" can be skipped over under several conditions.

Actually, now that I think about it, it might be possible to make the ESkill go straight to the materia when the character learns it. That makes more canonical sense anyway. I'll look for that section and check it out.

EDIT:

Somewhere in the function starting at 0x5DB812 something similar to the following needs to be added:

mov     ecx, offset_99CE0C
mov     edx, [ecx+204h]
push [edx+24h]
push [ecx+204h]
call offset_5C6DB5

Not tested. It should be something similar to that.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-14 02:57:47 by NFITC1 »

Kefka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-10-14 19:35:22 »
Thanks for the replies, guys. Wow, that's a really long list of bugs, didn't know there were that many. Took me a while to read through all that, lol. Yeah, the Enemy Skill issue is already on the list, I sure hope there's a way to fix that somehow.

@NFTC1:
Which file is the function you mentioned in? Is it in the .exe?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2016-10-14 20:27:00 »
Yes. It will require some EXE trickery to make it work. It's possible.