Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] FF7 Randomiser - Godo  (Read 70790 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] FF7 Randomiser - Godo
« Reply #25 on: 2020-01-28 13:06:08 »
Minor update; some fixes and checks added. UI update was supposed to happen at weekend but wasn't able to finish it. Will probably be ready next weekend.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2020-01-29 22:46:24 »
hey sega chief

when people use the different battle background option on your ff7 randomizer program, hellagunner and motorball bosses are invisable

renegadeofunk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2020-01-30 00:17:03 »
Thanks so much for doing this Sega, I always thought an FF7 randomizer would be awesome! I've mostly just been watching it on Twitch so far and I had a question and a comment:

1. What is the attack where an enemy seems to throw an Ultima Weapon at you? Is that supposed to be a projectile attack with a different model?
2. I noticed that the Kalm flashback battle with Sephiroth/Cloud vs the dragon is also randomized. Unfortunately that means both Sephiroth and Cloud might only be able to do like 50 damage a round so you just have to wait for them to slowly whittle the dragon down. Its a bit frustrating and also throws an RNG wrench into speedruns so I just wanted to mention that.

In any case thanks so much for making this!! Cheers.

solid_snake1982

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2020-01-30 08:29:48 »
Just got a soft lock applying Berserk Status to the Machine Gun enemy in the second reactor. Cant remember the exact enemy name.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2020-01-30 08:39:49 »
hey sega chief

when people use the different battle background option on your ff7 randomizer program, hellagunner and motorball bosses are invisable

I'll exclude the BG from swapping for that fight if this is the case.

Thanks so much for doing this Sega, I always thought an FF7 randomizer would be awesome! I've mostly just been watching it on Twitch so far and I had a question and a comment:

1. What is the attack where an enemy seems to throw an Ultima Weapon at you? Is that supposed to be a projectile attack with a different model?
2. I noticed that the Kalm flashback battle with Sephiroth/Cloud vs the dragon is also randomized. Unfortunately that means both Sephiroth and Cloud might only be able to do like 50 damage a round so you just have to wait for them to slowly whittle the dragon down. Its a bit frustrating and also throws an RNG wrench into speedruns so I just wanted to mention that.

In any case thanks so much for making this!! Cheers.

So there are two sets of flags on every attack; Impact Effect & Attack Effect. Impact is for physical attacks, while Attack Effect is for things like spells. If one has a value, typically the other is set as FF. An enemy animation is hard-coded to look for one or the other (or neither sometimes if the animation is designed to be used as, say, a stance change like Scorpion raising its tail) so if it finds FF for Attack Effect, the anim used is the projectile associated with Throw w/ Ultima Weapon. I don't know the specifics behind that, but I've seen it in the past when setting the wrong type of anim for an attack by accident.

I think when it's the other way around, a physical animation finding FF for Impact, then nothing comes out (no sound either as this will typically be FF'd as well).

The reason it happens in the rando is because it currently doesn't have logic set up to re-roll a model if it doesn't have any valid animations for one of the attack types. Instead what it does is assign the anim 03 as a fallback (most models have this anim ID - they have Idle 00, Hurt 01, then their first attack anim which is 03, but not all do and there's no guarantee it'll be the correct type for what's needed).

But there's something I can do to alleviate the issue; I was going to look into setting up an index for valid ranges regarding Impact Effect + Impact Sound, and Attack Effect, then assigning a value to EVERY attack. That way if a wrong anim type gets assigned, it won't matter because it'll find a value rather than FF (while Misc anims don't look for this data at all).

I'll exclude Seph from stat/level randomisation.

Just got a soft lock applying Berserk Status to the Machine Gun enemy in the second reactor. Cant remember the exact enemy name.

Probable cause is either enemy didn't have a Berserk attack assigned, or had a Berserk attack assigned that wasn't in its repertoire (most likely the latter). I'll check it out before the UI update goes out.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-30 08:41:30 by Sega Chief »

petfriendamy

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2020-01-31 02:37:09 »
Hey SegaChief! Loving the randomizer; it's fun seeing the weird stuff that can happen with it, haha.

A small thing I wanted to mention though: I just got to the Gold Saucer, and even though I have random initial equipment + materia on, Cait Sith's equipment seems to be unchanged. I'm guessing it has to do with young Cloud using his character slot, but I don't suppose there's any way that could be fixed?

renegadeofunk

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2020-01-31 03:36:41 »
Awesome! Thanks for addressing those couple of points, I appreciate it.

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #32 on: 2020-02-01 13:25:38 »
Hello.
Is there any way to share source code or add an external langage file ?
I know the tool already works with non us files, but i'd like to translate it in french.
So i you can add a langage selection it'll be great

Thanks for this great tool !

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2020-02-03 11:11:29 »
Hey SegaChief! Loving the randomizer; it's fun seeing the weird stuff that can happen with it, haha.

A small thing I wanted to mention though: I just got to the Gold Saucer, and even though I have random initial equipment + materia on, Cait Sith's equipment seems to be unchanged. I'm guessing it has to do with young Cloud using his character slot, but I don't suppose there's any way that could be fixed?

Their stuff is in the .exe. I have their offsets, but I decided not to throw .exe editing into the mix for the time being while the rando is still finding its feet.

Hello.
Is there any way to share source code or add an external langage file ?
I know the tool already works with non us files, but i'd like to translate it in french.
So i you can add a langage selection it'll be great

Thanks for this great tool !

Source is here: https://github.com/Segachief/Godo
I'll look into adding language options when I've got the UI update done.

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #34 on: 2020-02-03 19:12:42 »
thanks a lot for your work and sharing it

petfriendamy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2020-02-04 03:00:12 »
Their stuff is in the .exe. I have their offsets, but I decided not to throw .exe editing into the mix for the time being while the rando is still finding its feet.
Fair enough; there's definitely a lot of randomization options to work through already, haha. Keep up the good work!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2020-02-04 14:23:49 »
Should mention here, I've got the flevel cracked and am working on options to target it. Model/Anim swapping (should be much more stable than enemy model swapping thankfully) and Item location randomisation are in reach. Exit points on fields can also be changed but the game script will likely present a serious obstacle to that going smoothly; it'd be softlock city.

Eswoogi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2020-02-04 18:28:42 »
Hey SegaChief!

First quick question - Does manipulate materia not work in the Rando, due to model swaps? I can't seem to manip anything so far? 

Found a couple of minor softlocks yesterday too, first one was heligunner (Pretty sure your already aware of this one:)

www.twitch.tv/eswoogi/clip/SpotlessGrossTortoiseDansGame - Can up as Dyne and just locked

And second one was Motorball, which was weird, as I haven't had a softlock on him since 0.2.0:

www.twitch.tv/eswoogi/clip/HonorableWildCheetahLeeroyJenkins

Thanks for all the work on this dude, can't wait for the later releases with Flevel and model swaps!!

Legend <3

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2020-02-05 09:08:17 »
Hey SegaChief!

First quick question - Does manipulate materia not work in the Rando, due to model swaps? I can't seem to manip anything so far? 

Found a couple of minor softlocks yesterday too, first one was heligunner (Pretty sure your already aware of this one:)

www.twitch.tv/eswoogi/clip/SpotlessGrossTortoiseDansGame - Can up as Dyne and just locked

And second one was Motorball, which was weird, as I haven't had a softlock on him since 0.2.0:

www.twitch.tv/eswoogi/clip/HonorableWildCheetahLeeroyJenkins

Thanks for all the work on this dude, can't wait for the later releases with Flevel and model swaps!!

Legend <3

If status resistance is on, then it assigns a status weakness and leaves the others off, so mostly enemies will be immune to manipulate. Level difference may also be a factor if stat randomisation is on.

I'm wondering if the build I've used has reintroduced a problem with animation indexing; I'll need to get this UI update finished ASAP as it has the next set of filter improvements in it. The ones I made for 0.2.2 were cobbled together.

petfriendamy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2020-02-06 03:58:52 »
Hey, just ran into an issue with the randomizer. Two enemies that looked like Diamond Weapon showed up in the battle arena (the mandatory battle arena visit before Temple of the Ancients, if that matters), and the game softlocked upon killing them and trying to move on to the next battle. I'm guessing it's because there was no death animation, but I'm not sure? Seed number is 418191.

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #40 on: 2020-02-09 15:50:10 »
Hello.
I'm trying to use your tool to only disable escape but it don't seems to works, some battle are randomized and i can escape from most of them.

I'm using stock french scene.bin

Thanks

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2020-02-10 13:49:26 »
Hey, just ran into an issue with the randomizer. Two enemies that looked like Diamond Weapon showed up in the battle arena (the mandatory battle arena visit before Temple of the Ancients, if that matters), and the game softlocked upon killing them and trying to move on to the next battle. I'm guessing it's because there was no death animation, but I'm not sure? Seed number is 418191.

Might have been, they have an animation which is 'unstable' (the one used for KOs) that's supposed to end a fight when he dies. But if it's not used at KO, then it locks the fight. For that reason, Diamond's model is going on a filter list.

Hello.
I'm trying to use your tool to only disable escape but it don't seems to works, some battle are randomized and i can escape from most of them.

I'm using stock french scene.bin

Thanks

Assuming the structure of the scene.bin hasn't changed, it should work unless the option has been buried under other logic. The UI update out soon should address this, unless the french scene.bin is different in some way.

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #42 on: 2020-02-10 17:43:29 »
I'll wait for the update ^^

Thanks again

renegadeofunk

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2020-02-11 19:41:07 »
Hi Sega, just wanted to ask if item randomization is in the next patch or if its only the model swaps. Cheers!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2020-02-12 15:44:22 »
Hi Sega, just wanted to ask if item randomization is in the next patch or if its only the model swaps. Cheers!

Item randomisation might be a stretch but not impossible for it to be ready; the trick is finding a reliable way of searching out and replacing the opcodes for it. Materia will probably be fine because it's longer (3 AP values) which are always 0 in the middle of it and the longer the opcode, the less likely false positives creep into the replacement logic. Items though are fairly short and two of the bytes change a lot as it uses 2-bytes for IDs. Text strings seem to be getting found reliably at least, but I'll need to either build a list of all available items, Materia, etc. or set it up to pull all that from the kernel2. Time-wise, I'd be better investing my time into that as it would help with the scene/kernel side of the randomiser in rebuilding strings for changed spells, attacks, etc. to describe their changes in-game.

Model randomisation is mostly finished though, just a question of getting all the Model IDs and Animation IDs into a set of formatted lists. I'm partway through with that. Good thing about field models is that I don't have to really worry about animations this time around, because they'll work with whatever they're given. The PC port actually shipped with some mis-assigned anims that are still in the base Steam version, like Vincent at the Altar after the Jenova LIFE fight.

Edit:
Got the item identification working. If the kernel2 string thing works out then it might be ready in time, but then I probably shouldn't rush it.
« Last Edit: 2020-02-12 16:00:28 by Sega Chief »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2020-02-13 17:10:18 »
An update, I got the item randomisation working now to update text when it changes the item ID. That means I can now change the item you pick up and have it display the name of the item along with it. Adding Materia next, but will need to have it identify that separately. But looking promising for item swapping to go out alongside the field model + field anim randomisation.

renegadeofunk

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2020-02-13 20:54:02 »
Amazing, thanks for all your hard work!!

Rascalnicough

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2020-02-17 03:10:28 »
Having an issue with the Aps fight and thought you might want to know about it.

Here's a video of the lock:
https://youtu.be/ZWBA2djsaOk

Seed: 164047937

I also used your flevel tool.

Really enjoying your work; posting not out of frustration or complaint but in hopes that it can help.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2020-02-17 08:34:19 »
Having an issue with the Aps fight and thought you might want to know about it.

Here's a video of the lock:
https://youtu.be/ZWBA2djsaOk

Seed: 164047937

I also used your flevel tool.

Really enjoying your work; posting not out of frustration or complaint but in hopes that it can help.

I've fixed some bugs with the flevel component (and added Materia to it), as for the Godo part I think I've approached model swapping the wrong way. I'm going to set it up so that only safe swaps are allowed which will be a lot more limited, but will at least make it a lot more stable. Then in future I can try and work out some rules (and add AI editing) to make the riskier swaps safe to use as well. There's also a lot of technical problems that I've sorted out (like the Challenge form confirm button not working, some parameters not applying or are applying when they're not supposed to). I also need to get the readme stuff updated. That update will go out hopefully sometime this week.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2020-02-18 14:56:38 »
If it's listed somewhere and I missed it I'm sorry but what do the various Preset options change?