Author Topic: [Steam] Steam to 1998 conversion - Game Converter (Beta V0.11)  (Read 219573 times)

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 Game Converter -BETA-
« Reply #25 on: 2013-07-10 19:06:09 »
That explains ALL  :roll:

I have installed a few beeps at key locations in the script so that the user is more attentive.
Otherwise he might overlook the last lines in the dos window... ;D
I'm not sure if those are related? It is maybe causing an audio blip when opening the game for some hardware configurations. If I use GC on any installation type I get this high pitched blip when I open the game every time after. I'll send you a video if I get a chance this evening.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 2013-07-10 20:29:29 »
I get the audio blips as well. During the GC installation and then when I'm launching the game.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2013-07-13 16:58:20 »
I do not know what you mean with "audio blips".
I can hear nothing like that with me.

If you could make an audio file or a video of it, that would be very helpful for me.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2013-07-13 18:52:17 »
There's something going on with regions or something. This works well for Europeans. Not so much for North American region. Lately when I try again my videos don't work afterI needed to restart my computer it had been months. Some files are being changed names, very strange.

EQ2Alyza where did you download your version from? Is your computer set up in the US or Europe?

New version that asks for language is pretty slick! I think this is gonna help some folks out for sure.

Edit: Something I want to point out about Kompass's Game Converter: you can literally make your own CD image and name the VOLUME FF7DISC1 to get going, put a single file in so the imageburner will make the ISO for you. You'll have to get a program like UltraISO to mount it (these are free to use) and then you should be good to go. Or like Komp says you can use a USB stick or even a floppy disk!  :-D
@Komp Can you just include a tiny ISO volume like that with the installer and have it do it's own disc check? People are thrown off track by this maybe.
Also: I have managed to remove the audio glitch that I talked about. I took the multi.dll out and just changed to load_library=FF7anyCDv2.dll (which I moved to the main game directory).
« Last Edit: 2013-08-11 09:35:14 by Template »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2013-07-16 21:21:37 »
The audio 'blip' at the game start is only a sign that DLPB's hext.dll is working

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2013-07-16 21:24:23 »
I was warned against using a blip for this reason, but it is just a harmless call to the PC's speaker. As kaldarasha said, it's just to let you know that hext.dll is loaded.  The same thing happens for RaW.dll unless I removed the blip.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2013-07-17 04:56:59 »
Thanks for the clarification of the blib.

Apparently I'm a little hard of hearing, namely I can not hear blib with me...

@DLPB
Would it be possible that you compile a version without blib for me?

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2013-07-20 20:38:14 »
I think the blip is fine. We know what it's for now and it doesn't bother me at all. People will maybe wonder and never know why it's there, but other than that they will be totally unaffected. Would be a major pain in the ass to change it at this point. It's good to know Hext is working anyway.

Basically this is the Game Converter to use now. It is set up for the 4 languages SE put on the rerelease and Kranmer'sNew-to-Old Patch just doesn't always handle that correctly; I do not have a frikkin' clue why, cause it works fine for most people. Other than that they are about the same, so I just tell people to use this one now.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-20 20:41:56 by Template »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2013-07-21 09:59:13 »
Basically this is the Game Converter to use now. It is set up for the 4 languages SE put on the rerelease and Kranmer'sNew-to-Old Patch just doesn't always handle that correctly; I do not have a frikkin' clue why, cause it works fine for most people. Other than that they are about the same, so I just tell people to use this one now.

The problem with my New to old patch is that it doesn't support UAC or Multiple languages (mine is English), other then that there is NO PROBLEM with it, it adds only the needed registry entries to run the game (and i mean only the needed ones, it doesn't add any that are not needed), Also the difference between my patch other then then the fact i don't support UAC or Multiple languages is that my patch actually converters the new game to the old game, Kompass63's converter just allows you to run the old 1.02 EXE with the new game files, it doesn't actually patch any files other then registry. This is currently only important in the Menu overhaul Mod since it requires the original "flevel.lpg", but once Lusky has fixed the problem with touphscript my patch will no long be needed at all since Kompass63's patch will be good enough to use all mods, So i am hoping Lusky can fix the problem soon since this converter is much better then my own with support for UAC and languages :).
And great work on this Kompass63 its really come along nicely.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-21 10:01:47 by Kranmer »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2013-07-31 03:38:24 »
Bump for Kompass63's GameConverter.9b on the front page.
Some things to note:

This is now completely compatible with Steam Mover. You can also just cut and paste the entire FFVII game folder and move it where you want from the STEAM directory. The Game Converter will detect your installation type. It will ask you to type your game path manually if you have moved your STEAM FF7 install or if it can't find one. If you haven't moved your STEAM FF7 install, you can just hit enter and it will do its thing. It is fully compatible with Steam FF7 in all 4 languages. You can change your language in FF7 STEAM by right clicking on the Final Fantasy VII entry in your Library, and choosing the bottom selection, properties. Then select language and there is a dropdown box. You must do this before using Kompass63's GameConverter. It is still necessary to move your FFVII install outside of the Program Files(system) area.

GameConverter will ask for you what language you would like to use if you are using the 2012 version, E S F G
Game Converter is now compatible with 1998 PC version for backwards compatibility and future uninstall functionality.

Thanks for this utility, Kompass63. Some of you guys passing through just don't understand how much work goes into this stuff.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-31 06:11:20 by Template »

RedXell

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2013-07-31 08:20:23 »
Some of you guys passing through just don't understand how much work goes into this stuff.

Maybe we can change that, if they take a look into the Batch-File :D

BTW:
I updated the Mirrors.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14047.msg196970#msg196970

Mediafire have some strange problems with the sharing system. If you can't download the Converter with the Mediafire Mirror so please feel free to PM me. I'll try to fix it. (The MO_Patch doesn't have the problem... Strange world)

Cosmos

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2013-08-07 17:49:31 »
Any chances for this to work with the japanese version?   :-\

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2013-08-08 19:26:21 »
Japanese version converter is probably not possible at all because of file structure and language characters.

I want to make one note about Game Converter compatibility. Game Converter uses the files that come with the 2012 or STEAM FF7 release, and splices in the 1998 ff7.exe. Because of this, certain mods that are only compatible with other old ff7 files from 1998 (like Menu Overhaul) are not yet fully compatible. Once a new version of the utility ToughScript (which MenuOverhaul makes use of) is released, this issue will be completely addressed.   

As for the actual incompatibility--I am not sure what problems exist, but I think it is safe to say there will be problems somewhere in the game script if you don't use bootleg to put MenuOverhaul on after GameConverter. For English 2012 installs with MenuOverhaul in mind, GameConverter isn't necessarily needed, you can just run bootleg. For STEAM and foreign language installs, I think gameConverter is the way to go, but if you want to use MenuOverhaul, bootleg may be necessary.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2013-08-09 05:38:44 »
Any chances for this to work with the japanese version?   :-\
The probability is low, but if anyone can help me, I can try it.

I want to make one note about Game Converter compatibility. Game Converter uses the files that come with the 2012 or STEAM FF7 release, and splices in the 1998 ff7.exe. Because of this, certain mods that are only compatible with other old ff7 files from 1998 (like Menu Overhaul) are not yet fully compatible. Once a new version of the utility ToughScript (which MenuOverhaul makes use of) is released, this issue will be completely addressed.   

As for the actual incompatibility--I am not sure what problems exist, but I think it is safe to say there will be problems somewhere in the game script if you don't use bootleg to put MenuOverhaul on after GameConverter. For English 2012 installs with MenuOverhaul in mind, GameConverter isn't necessarily needed, you can just run bootleg. For STEAM and foreign language installs, I think gameConverter is the way to go, but if you want to use MenuOverhaul, bootleg may be necessary.
Should I make a patch for it?
It would be somewhat provisionally, some English data must be inserted and the improvements by SE are gone.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2013-08-09 06:16:07 »
What are the improvements?

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2013-08-09 07:28:42 »
I really don't like the idea of changing this program from the way it is. I think it makes sense to use the new files. But if Reunion MenuOverhaul/Retranslation comes out tomorrow... and it's only working on 1998 flevels... (I'm pretty sure Dan's warned us that it will only work with 1998 flevel) then maybe it is a good idea to alter GC's output flevel. It seems to be the only new file there is a problem with. We know they altered the script in at least 1 or two places. I'm guessing it would be easier to change the GC flevel than it would be to change Menu Overhaul or ToughScript. But I also don't know the status of those projects (well, MO is nearly complete).

Edit: removed incorrect info about changes to flevel in 2012 and STEAM. I don't know what they fixed, if anything, other than messing with the script somewhere.

The adjusted movie script is a question of putting an extra 720MB of stuff on a GC install to fix an error that is probably harmless. I don't know what is best for either question... but the movie script is here on the forum, I can make a thread about it, but it seems a bit silly and almost illegal to post a collection of movies that were upscaled by SE and have simply had their sound ripped out and reencoded. So I'm not going to do that. I do think it's a pretty cool trick, though, and it would be fun to watch GameConverter whip out all 105 movies reencoded in under one minute.

Then there is the security disc check. Newbies are confused by that and I do not have time to make a bloomin tutorial on mounting ISOs or renaming a USB memory stick. I think there comes a point where you have to stop making a program user friendly and let the user learn about their computer or not.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-09 08:43:34 by Template »

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2013-08-09 08:43:33 »
I plan to make a new topic for the flevel, so we could make our own patches. I have currently fixed some of the stopping sound bugs (the Mako Reaktors and the ship).
My idea is, that many person will work on different scenes for faster patching. Possible changes: adding background sound, change the color of the scene light for a character (I made some tests with this and got nice results), a better model size, adding some animations to a character (for example I have added some animations to Cloud to make him look sad when Aerith dies - after the fight with Jenova) and complete script enhancements.
It is possible to use Iros mod manger to implement it. My only concern is, how this could work with the Reunion.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2013-08-09 08:56:18 »
I wish I understood why the MIDI playback is restarting after battles... I don't know if it is a function of Aali's driver or something the game code had messed up from the beginning. I hate testing vanilla STEAM or 2012. I'm doing install after install after install of bootleg all of a sudden to make .iros out of the adjusted models and things that PitBrat and VGR did. There will be available--in time--an iro for mode changing. It will include all complete difficulty mods and gameplay mods like Aerith revival which are made compatible through bootleg. So there will be a config option for this Mode.iro mod through 7thHeaven which will allow you to switch modes or turn Aeris revival on off etc.

This is only possible because PitBrat and the other developers are allowing us to do these things and giving permission, or at least everyone's not telling me to go jump in a lake. Perhaps the development of more convenient ways of modding the game will attract more artists and developers to create new material.

It is possible to use Iros mod manger to implement it. My only concern is, how this could work with the Reunion.
Flevel changes of any kind will be compatible with Reunion Menu Overhaul. The Retranslation is the sticky part. If the game text script has been altered by flevel changes, it will not be compatible with the retranslation, but only that portion of the Reunion is affected.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-10 10:02:51 by Template »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2013-08-10 18:38:49 »
I am sure Luksy will add support for 2012 ts when he completes the update, and it does fix a few bugs from the original flevel.  It is probably best to use it.. especially since I am thinking of postponing Reunion regardless until ts new is completed.  What we need is a new universal flevel that fixes numerous bugs but does not alter the text structure.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2013-08-10 19:58:03 »
...And finally it sinks in. OK! So Kompass is right to use the new flevels. Luksy will come through for us. We just need to put a note for people not to use the retranslation preview with GameConverter for now.

Cosmos

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2013-08-11 14:58:22 »
The probability is low, but if anyone can help me, I can try it.

For some reason I cannot reply to the PM. I only have the english version but since I´m living now in Japan and I wanted to play the original version I was thinking of buying the japanese version also. So I cannot help right now but if I decide to buy it, I´ll let you know.

Isuldor

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2014-01-29 11:34:18 »
I just tried it on a newly installed machine with steam and New Folder\ff7.exe closes promptly after being run.

update: as a workaround, I uninstalled this and used Kranmer's  conversion patch instead
« Last Edit: 2014-01-29 12:12:31 by Isuldor »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2014-01-30 03:49:17 »
I just tried it on a newly installed machine with steam and New Folder\ff7.exe closes promptly after being run.

update: as a workaround, I uninstalled this and used Kranmer's  conversion patch instead
That's too few information!

What OS,what architecture,  UAC on or off, what compatibility modes, have you tried to start ff7config, what tells the ff7_GC.log (etc) ?

Isuldor

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2014-01-30 08:03:31 »
Sorry about that, I was posting from my phone while heading off to work.  That was a Windows 7 x64 system. UAC on. Non-system directory. Subsequently I realized "New Folder" is a product of Kranmer's conversion app, while trying to set it up for a friend I saw the same issue. I suspect "New Folder" gets created and then it should be removed after files are moved to the correct location, so seeing that folder is a symptom of the patch failing.  It would be nice if either of these apps were open source, or if the process that they execute were described in detail.  Otherwise I'm left to diff the directory and registry for changes to try to figure out what you're doing.

On an side note (nothing to do with this conversion app), ff7config.exe was just crashing on friend's pc. It made me wonder why it's still necessary when we're using Aali's opengl driver.  I'm tempted to diff the registry and document all the records necessary for the game to run so we can make that file obsolete.  I ended up telling my friend to wait for MO R02. 

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2014-01-30 08:42:56 »
On an side note (nothing to do with this conversion app), ff7config.exe was just crashing on friend's pc. It made me wonder why it's still necessary when we're using Aali's opengl driver.  I'm tempted to diff the registry and document all the records necessary for the game to run so we can make that file obsolete.  I ended up telling my friend to wait for MO R02.

This is a known bug of Nvidias Optimus solution. The wraper.dll conflicts with it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\coprocmanager  --> 'Nvd3d9wrap.dll' rename it to '_Nvd3d9wrap.dll'. Change it back after you have setuped the config.