Author Topic: Need help for a friend  (Read 2993 times)

BloodShot

• View Profile
Need help for a friend
« on: 2011-07-28 19:23:38 »
Hey guys, I normally wouldn't need help with this, but It's my friend, and I can't come to him physically to help him so I've been telling him what to do, but we have a problem.

My friend wanted to play FF7 for a long time, and I finally got him settled on the PC version after I showed him the mods that are available for it, so he got it, and I've been trying to help him set it up.

We got all the packs and mods and stuff set up right
Problem is, once he gets ingame, Everything is all white and he has no sound. I would have posted this in Aali's driver help sticky, but I'm not sure if it has to do with this or not.

He has vista, which I'm sure is his problem, because vista caused stuff not to work right for me, but I completely forgot how I fixed it, and I have win 7 now, which I had no problems with FF7. Any help would be appreciated. My guess would be that even though he got it set up with FF7Config for the custom driver, it still isn't using it, because the enhanced field BGs require Aali's driver - but again I don't know.

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: Need help for a friend
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-28 19:26:11 »
I remember there's something to do with the Virtual Store...or something like that.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-28 19:38:52 »
I dunno about no sound, but all white sounds like he's using an NVIDIA card with the latest drivers, which do not play nice with Aali's driver. To fix it, turn off use_shaders in the cfg.

Also, make absolutely certain to run ff7config as administrator.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-29 02:49:57 »
That's part of the problem, I had him run it as administrator, and turn off shaders, but he still gets the same problem. The problem I had on vista a while back was that even though I ran the config as an admin and set it up right, whenever I loaded the game up for some reason it seemed to revert back to using one of the default rendering devices (a la software), and the same type of thing happened to me, unfortunately I can't remember how I fixed it :(

SymphoniC

• Mind hack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-29 10:47:38 »
It reverts back to a default renderer? That makes me think the renderer you chose was incompatible with your gfx card. What option is your friend using for compatibility mode?

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-30 00:21:51 »
It probably won't help if you've done extensive trouble shooting already, but I have an automated Bootleg installer.
It would at least install FF7 with all the mods in a way that is known to work on multiple systems.

Alas, Vista is a beast unto itself.