Author Topic: FFVII FSAA Problems  (Read 7365 times)

Zw4nzig

FFVII FSAA Problems
« on: 2004-07-12 03:04:42 »
Uh oh! I have Windows XP, first off. I installed the Chocobo patch, and I installed the official 1.02 patch. I am having a bit of a problem with FSAA.

I did everything described (Please don't assume I made an error somewhere in what I did, I assure you, I've done everything correctly.) and for some reason, when I use D3D rendering mode, FSAA on or not, some of the backgrounds turn black and are invisible! If I run it in Software, all the backgrounds are there fine.. But it's just plain ugly.

Could someone kindly help me figure out how to get my game to run on XP in D3D with FSAA on, and not miss most of the backgrounds?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-12 03:47:46 »
How about your system specs?  Like, what kind of graphics card do you have?  What version of the drivers are you using?

Zw4nzig

FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-12 04:32:57 »
[email protected]
1GB DDRAM
GeForce FX 5200 256MB (Latest drivers)
Windows XP Home SP1

Does that help?

Messiah99

• View Profile
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-12 05:10:39 »
FF7 doesnt like GeForce cards, I have a GeForce2 myself, and sometimes I wonder if its not the source of the troubles I have with FF7. Ive never had that exact problem, but when I use the Odin summon, more often than not instead of the proper animation I get the famous 2 white blocks. Im guessing that that and your problem are not entirely unrelated.

The problem is that the GeForce is not a supported graphics chipset, even with the 1.02 patch. At least I presume so because you said when running in software mode you dont have this problem. The 1.02 patch is for the Riva128 and TNT chipsets, but supports GeForce cards as something of a side-effect.

Zw4nzig

FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-12 06:56:32 »
That sucks so horribly! I either can .. Run and make it look very pretty.. or not run, and make it full of jaggies.. But it'll be more consistant! Yeesh! haha.

Locutus

• View Profile
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-12 07:31:34 »
ff7 likes win98 so if you can run ff7 on win 98.On windows xp graphic should be ok also but on windows xp there are stability problems.

I have nvidia drivers 56.xx  and gfeforce 4 ti and have got no problem with fsaa.

Ff7 doesn't need any riva patch for geforce cards becouse geforce cards in newer drivers has got 8 bit texture palet enabled.So do not install riva patch.
About fsaa. If you run ff7 without fsaa you can have corrupted background or even if your background is ok, the game has low resolution graphic so everything is a little jaggy.

Solution for many problems is fsaa, But normal fssa tribes causes background to become blocky and other anomalies .
The only way to have perfect graphic is to activate hidden fsaa modes in new drivers. For this you need riva tuner or atuner tool. Using this tools you can turn on hidden fsaa modes.There is a topic on this messageboard about this but you need to search for it.
You can have problems becouse nvidia is changing many things in drivers so older drivers can be better then new one. Graphics problems are also dependant on your geforce model.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-12 09:37:19 »
You did use Rivatuner for the Anti-alasing right?

There should be some that start with ff, if you did the paste and cut correctly. ff0d is what works on my machine, with a Geforce FX5900xt. Works with FF8, too.

J*** H*******

FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-12 14:15:50 »
Message.

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #8 on: 2004-07-12 14:19:25 »
Quote from: Jari Huttunen

Or any other modern card, for that matter. Feel free to ask ATi users how well FF7 works in their system. ;)

Allow me.

ATi are, in short, crap for running FF7 compared to some of the things I've seen on other computers.  Gridlines, Missing sprites, missing text and majour artifacts on screen are just few....

DAMN YOU RADEON 9600!!!!

I hope to god when I get the new Geforce card thats coming out, It'll get better....

Messiah99

• View Profile
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #9 on: 2004-07-12 14:26:43 »
Quote from: Darkdevil
I hope to god when I get the new Geforce card thats coming out, It'll get better....

Better to a point perhaps, but only by so much, and never perfect. If its not one of the cards listed in the readme for FF7, expect at least slight turbulance. Speaking as a GeForce user (2 not a newer one, but all GeForce cards operate on the same chipset) I can tell you that you'll most likely have at the very least the lovely little aestetic touch of white blocks when Odin slices an enemy. Thats not much, but trust me its annoying after a while, haha.

Darkdevil

• View Profile
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #10 on: 2004-07-12 14:37:42 »
Quote from: Messiah99
I can tell you that you'll most likely have at the very least the lovely little aestetic touch of white blocks when Odin slices an enemy. Thats not much, but trust me its annoying after a while, haha.

Amen to that...When i was using my old machine with an ATi Rage pro 2, I got those blocks and wondered what they were...Either way, Pixel sharding 3.0 will make up for it :D

The SaiNt

• View Profile
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #11 on: 2004-07-12 15:50:01 »
Works fine on my Radeon 9600XT.
Only thing is I can't do FSAA that's all.
I know why that's the case though and it MIGHT be fixable.

Thought that's not a priority on my list of things to do atm.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #12 on: 2004-07-12 16:40:49 »
ff7 runs PERFECT on the geforce mxmx400 with the 52.03 drivers (or was it 53.02?).  i didnt even need rivatuner to get fsaa working!  And no garbled text or anything!

But then i upgraded, and now the text is blargy ;_;

Goku7

• View Profile
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #13 on: 2004-07-12 16:58:11 »
Quote from: Jari Huttunen
Quote from: Messiah99
FF7 doesnt like GeForce cards,

Or any other modern card, for that matter. Feel free to ask ATi users how well FF7 works in their system. ;)

Apparently old Voodoo 1/2 boards are just about the only sure-fire way to get FF7 working, graphics wise. With anything else YMMV.

Actually, make that the entire Voodoo line.  With the stock drivers off of the Driver CD, my Voodoo5 runs the game with FSAA perfectly, without any patches whatsoever -- and that's a GF2 era card, mind you.

.....On second thought, maybe not PERFECTLY -- I do get the "white block" thing with the Odin summon from time to time.  But other than that, the FSAA looks nice......

Jedimark

• View Profile
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #14 on: 2004-07-12 17:38:07 »
Quote from: Darkdevil

ATi are, in short, crap for running FF7 compared to some of the things I've seen on other computers.  Gridlines, Missing sprites, missing text and majour artifacts on screen are just few....

Are you kidding... I get near perfect results with my Radeon 7500 8) It FFVIII that I have the problems with...

Darkdevil

• View Profile
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #15 on: 2004-07-12 19:00:47 »
I get problems with both :(

Goku7

• View Profile
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #16 on: 2004-07-13 00:21:56 »
I would like to take this time to remind you of a possible fix listed in FF8's readme file:

Quote from: teh readme
-KNOWN PROBLEMS-

nVidia:
      TNT/TNT2: FFVIII PC requires that texture coordinates begin at the top, left corner of a texture map. If you notice the texture mapping and fonts are misaligned please check the TNT/TNT2 texel alignment setting.  Ensure that it is set to the upper-left corner.  If your current drivers do not support this feature, you may need to use nVidia's reference drivers.

At the very least, it should be possible to pull off the same thing with Radeon drivers......

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #17 on: 2004-07-13 03:06:14 »
Quote from: Goku7
Quote from: teh readme
-KNOWN PROBLEMS-

nVidia:
      TNT/TNT2: FFVIII PC requires that texture coordinates begin at the top, left corner of a texture map. If you notice the texture mapping and fonts are misaligned please check the TNT/TNT2 texel alignment setting.  Ensure that it is set to the upper-left corner.  If your current drivers do not support this feature, you may need to use nVidia's reference drivers.

At the very least, it should be possible to pull off the same thing with Radeon drivers......

I know it was possible back when I had a geforce2 because I had tiling and toying with that fixed my issue.

However looking at radeon drivers and even using radeontweaker doesn't seem to have any option like that.

Borman

• View Profile
FFVII FSAA Problems
« Reply #18 on: 2004-07-14 06:46:34 »
I gotta put together my old PC again to play this game lol. Then again, i have to figure out where my copy of FFVII is