Author Topic: New Materia  (Read 4026 times)

Aeris

• ~~Princess~~
    • View Profile
New Materia
« on: 2010-11-02 23:45:36 »
We all know there's unused 'blank' materia in the game, and ive decided to mess with this for the upcomings of a mod or some sort ive been working off & on for awhile. now, i can use WallMarket to actually make it have a name, i edited a blank spell slot and gave it a name, everythings peachy keen in the materia window, it says <name> it's highlighted and it's pretty looking (lol). but when i go into the check magic, or enter a battle it isn't selectable. i reason this because since master magic is supposed to contain all the spells, that there are no slots available for it to be selected. and i was curious if there was a way to edit that. on top of it, at one point i made it look like Pulse of Life on a random enemy/character (idk how i managed that) but it did 0 damage and didn't do anything else, but it looked pretty lol. this is for the PC version of FF7 btw.

any and all help would be appreciated :3

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: New Materia
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-03 00:14:37 »
Did you go to "Initial data>spell order" in wall market? When you make a new spell, you need to make sure it will appear in the menu:

As a general warning, the game doesn't react well to new spells being made from the blank spell slots; things tend to go wrong.

Aeris

• ~~Princess~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-03 01:12:13 »
Yep i looked and the spell is there at the bottom below shield.

edit: i modified it to take Ultimas place, and it's invisible. it wont appear in the magic menu at all. however Ultima is one area below where it normally is (far left, one row down) and when equipped with master magic, Ultima just 'vanishes'

edit2: so i added the 'new' spell i added to the attack section on the Ultima materia and it's still invisible and won't appear lol.

edit3: Okay, reallllly weird. but! i added a summon (Choco/Mog for example) to the new materia along with the 2 spells that are supposed to be on it, the summon didnt appear in the magic window (of course) but the new spells did. i used both without problems and then i noticed my spell order was way weird. cure was at the bottom flare in the top right etc. so i decided i'd test what would happen if i put master magic on... yeah i crashed lol. so i'm not too sure what's going on here but i've made some progress XD

i'm thinking unless there is a way for the magic menu to be made longer (IE: the rows can go past Ultima if Master Magic is equipped) this might not be too possible >.<
« Last Edit: 2010-11-03 02:35:56 by Aeris »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-03 16:41:29 »
Yep i looked and the spell is there at the bottom below shield.

edit: i modified it to take Ultimas place, and it's invisible. it wont appear in the magic menu at all. however Ultima is one area below where it normally is (far left, one row down) and when equipped with master magic, Ultima just 'vanishes'

edit2: so i added the 'new' spell i added to the attack section on the Ultima materia and it's still invisible and won't appear lol.

That's what I feared. Like I said, the game can be uncooperative when new spells are made from the blank spots.

Have you thought about getting rid of a spell you don't need and using that spell's slot for your new spell? That's what I did when I made new spells; Escape, Remove, DeBarrier,  Bio2, Bio3, Demi2 and Demi3 got replaced. Obviously, you can replace any spell you like and it should work.

edit3: Okay, reallllly weird. but! i added a summon (Choco/Mog for example) to the new materia along with the 2 spells that are supposed to be on it, the summon didnt appear in the magic window (of course) but the new spells did. i used both without problems and then i noticed my spell order was way weird. cure was at the bottom flare in the top right etc. so i decided i'd test what would happen if i put master magic on... yeah i crashed lol. so i'm not too sure what's going on here but i've made some progress XD

That's...weird...

Maybe the game only recognises a new materia as legitimate if it uses a spell ID that already exists in the game. Or maybe something else is going on.

Aeris

• ~~Princess~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-04 00:17:15 »
id say something else is going on because it screwed up the spell order extremely bad. some materia i had equipped didn't produce the spells in the menu (Like  Cure 2 3 and Regen) while Flare was in the top right, and i had Dia and Dia2 in dead middle (new spells).

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-04 03:40:45 »
I've encountered similar effects when messing around with blank spell slots and materia.  I played around with putting enemy skills into magic materia, summons in enemy skills etc. etc. to see what was possible or not.  I got all sorts of strange effects.  Turned Gunge Lance into an enemy skill and when used in game it performed Cosmo Memory.  Tried using enemy skills in magic materia and in game it performed the Phoenix animation without the Phoenix (I might go try to replicate this for some badass mega-spells).  I never messed with the spell order tab though.  Good luck with getting your spells to work though...sorry I didn't really contribute any useful information.