Miscellaneous Forums > Scripting and Reverse Engineering

[FF8] .x battle fields

(1/33) > >>

Halfer:
Full documentation of battlefields done by MaKiPL found here: http://wiki.qhimm.com/view/FF8/FileFormat_X

Tool to extract battle stages found here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16017.0

Hello!

I've started to study a bit of Final Fantasy 8 files and I happened to see that there was no documentation of .x battle fields in Qhimm's forum. I didn't find any threads about this file format or I completely missed it so I decided to make this thread.

After searching about this format I came to conclusion that this is DirectX file. However they are compressed and they are not lzs compressed (maybe a modified version?). Since I don't have any experience in decompressing, I wanted to ask if someone has already worked around this or if it's relatively easy to work on based on success of decompressing other files?

Accessing these files would be the next big leap after we finally got the textures working.

Also on side note (off-topic), I found something interesting from wmx.obj (world map object?) while opening it with NuGraf. NuGraf reported that the password was wrong so maybe it's encrypted?

Maki:
Completed WIKI page: http://wiki.qhimm.com/view/FF8/FileFormat_X

Maki:
I took a0stg105, and HEX'd fun it.

--- Code: ---#OFFSET IN HEX                                 #DEFINITION
0x48-49                                              Changing this does nothing
0x5C-5D                                              Before map load, there is a cursor that blink once, after that map loads. Sometimes
0x588-58E                                          Completely nothing.
0x5DA-5DB                                          Still nothing
0x5D6-9A5                                        ##CAMERA HERE! - I reversed bytes from end to start by this offset, and camera is fixed no matter what. Also some enemies can be off-screen.

--- End code ---

Summary:

Whole code from 000-5F1 is probably the same. I'll check with other maps.

NULL'ing header makes no effect... really... Game doesn't care what it is.

0-23A can be NULL'ified and the game doesn't care. WTF?
Huh...
NULL'ied from 0x0 to 0x5d3 and guess what... NOTHING

EDIT2:
Finally, so te textures are like:

LINE1
0101 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
LINE 2
etc...
It's pallete colored. This is detailed somewhere here in Texture section. So, I nulled from beggining to 0x998 and still no vertex glitches or anything.
I nulled one line covered by those 0101010101, and here it is:

EDIT3:
Yea, found something, probably reversed the "pallete" or UV. More like both.  it is 44CE to 4905

Summary:
File is divided in some parts, where:

--- Code: ---STAGE 1 - from START to 0x??? - ???
STAGE 2 - from 0x5D6 to 0x9A5 - Camera *THIS NEEDS TO BE NARROWED! Narrowed by 1/2
STAGE 3 - from 0x??? to 0x??? - Vertex data
STAGE 4 - Search for first 0x/10,0x/00,0x/00,0x/00 - Texture
--- End code ---

Maki:
Okay. The texture is no more than just a TIM file, starting with 10 00 00 00. Thanks to paul and _Tom_ for TIM header infos.

DEPRECATED:
*Updated "summary" post above. I finally found where the texture starts. RGBA pixel format is probably 555, Didn't test it yet, but that's what wiki says here for FF7 textures.

The texture section, clearly starts at repeating 01 01 01... bytes. After each line it has a tendency to drop to small numbers. For example the first one header for top-one pixel line is 178 bytes long, where the next one header for second pixel has 176 as for a0stg105.x

So, to find the texture, and re-export it, or EVEN replace, just find the first appearance of 01 01 01 01 01 01 bytes starting from 0x0 offset, and you should get it in all normal BG's.
See below:

Ragna:
.X files?

In FF7 those are gzip compressed files like BATTLE.X and others in the same folder.
If you could post the first 16 bytes... maybe is the same or similar?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version