Author Topic: FAQ: How to get FFVII PC running on Win2K/NT5  (Read 75020 times)

Yagami1211

FAQ: How to get FFVII PC running on Win2K/NT5
« Reply #25 on: 2003-09-21 08:39:19 »
Same stuff here, however, found the 3.0 but doesn't have the foggiest idea how to use that stuff

Synergy Blades

« Reply #26 on: 2003-09-21 12:25:44 »
seanykc, I left a link to instructions and the ACT in your original thread (Game Tweaking).

Mystiq

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2003-09-21 21:19:18 »
I got 3.0 but I keep getting an error with sdbinst.exe whenever I try to run FF7. You pretty much just keep hitting Ok, the default settings are fine. Now if it just ran...

[Edit]
Ok now I got the sdbinst error gone but now it simply won't run the game.  :evil: It hangs on "Waiting for application to finish."

[Edit]
Someone help, this program is driving me nuts.

[Edit]
Same thing happens with QFixApp 3.4, FF7 simply won't run. If I go straight to creeating a support fix, it's as if I didn't do anything; the game still crashes when I try to enter the menu.

[Edit]
These just keep comin', don't they?

If I don't use the TNT Choco-patched exe, it does run. But I want my Direct 3D!

seanykc

« Reply #28 on: 2003-09-23 16:28:43 »
Quote from: Synergy Blades
seanykc, I left a link to instructions and the ACT in your original thread (Game Tweaking).

Ta very much :D

Holyone

Menu button + 2 secs in first battle thing
« Reply #29 on: 2003-09-25 22:40:20 »
I am sure the step-by-step at the top was very useful at the time written however ACT is now a different version and also the SP2 is now SP4; where the heck is this qfixapp thing, i have looked everwhere on my system and found nothing... Anyone got i solution without using it, or better anyone no where to get this qfixapp thing?

Synergy Blades

« Reply #30 on: 2003-09-25 23:56:12 »
You can find it here: http://www.joikkeli.org/janne/ff7.html - follow the instructions there on how to use it.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2003-09-26 07:56:34 »
"3. Install FF7
-DO NOT use the FF7 Riva 128/TNT-patch. It just messes trings up.
the game should work perfectly witrout it, if you have a decent graphics adapter"

Hmm I have to disagree, it must depend on the hardware in the machine but I have a geforce 2 pro.

I do this

1 - Install ff7 full install
2 - use the fixed configuration exe rivatnt nvidia version
3 - dont tick the nvidia box and just select hardware graphics and save
4 - apply the chocobo patch
5 - play the game

issues doing this, only 2 so far, the bike scene in midgar is super fast and the snowboard scene crashes(had to use software graaphics) rest of game works fine.

so if anyone has simliar hardware to me i reccomend my method, I didnt use any qfixapp etc.

Holyone

« Reply #32 on: 2003-09-26 19:52:46 »
Thanx for the qfixapp Synergy!

Unfortunately though after trying several different ways now using qfixapp it has not done a thing to change my problem...

When I press the menu key or someone attacks in the fight with the guards, I get a message saying something like this (got this from event viewer): Application popup: DEFAULT: ff7.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x0069996d" referenced memory at "0x43a00004". The memory could not be "read".

Is this actually the same problem as you guys (and girls) or does it just happen in the same places?

If someone could help find a solution that would work for my system specs I would be very happy...

OS Name - Microsoft Windows 2000 proffesional
Vesion     - 5.0.2195 Sevice Pack 4 Build 2195
Radeon FSC

If you need anything more specific then either write it here or email me at [email protected]

Thanx

Synergy Blades

« Reply #33 on: 2003-09-26 20:20:50 »
That was the problem I had, and following the directions on that page fixed it. You could try downgrading to SP2, since that's what I've got and it works fine. If you can't try downgrading for whatever reason I can't really think what else to suggest.  :-?

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2003-09-26 21:02:06 »
could always dig up an old 3d grapics card voodoo or something and use that to play, not ideal I know but it seems new ati cards have trouble playing the game.

Mystiq

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2003-09-27 00:10:50 »
If you're using Windows 2000/XP, you need QFixApp, this is said everywhere on this forum.

But can't anyone help me with my problem? If I use the 1.02 exe, QFixApp simply refuses to load it. It runs, but nothing happens, I have to manually close it with task manager.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2003-09-27 01:55:24 »
mystiq what graphics card you got, if its a geforce then you may not need qfixapp, I know because I am not using it.

Mystiq

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2003-09-27 03:57:10 »
...It's a Radeon 8500. And for some reason if I rename the exe it works, don't ask. Except now I have a problem entirely unrelated to FF7: all my USB devices, after about an hour of being plugged in, simply stop responding. Everything. My mouse (which fortunately has a PS2 converter), my gamepad and my MP3 player (plugs in VIA USB to transfer files).

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #38 on: 2003-09-27 04:02:09 »
My USB Infrared thingie used to stop working like that.  I fixed it by going to it in the device manager, getting its properties, going to the Power Management tab and disabling the option to "Let Windows turn off this device to conserve power."  This shouldn't be your problem, as this option does not show up for all devices (only IrDA and my network cards for me), but you should check to see if by some fluke it is showing up for a USB controller or hub that you have?

Has this been happening for a while?  If it has, another thought might be to upgrade your BIOS or try a PCI USB card or something.

That's really all I can think of right now.

Mystiq

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2003-09-27 04:18:31 »
Nope.

And yes, for a long while, ever since I got this new mouse about a year ago. The original mouse I had was also USB, but must have been either 1.0 or something because it never did this.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2003-09-27 06:43:23 »
you need to get a usb powered hub i guess,

I did some investigation and now know why people trying the qfixapp have no success, its because 2k sp3 and sp4 have act fixes built in thats why m$ removed the old act apps, so if anyone wants to use the old act then they must make sure not use sp3 or later.

I am going to post info to try and help others to get their ff7's working, really anyone asking for help needs to post graphics card, driver version installed, directx version and os version and wether or not using any patches.

geforce2 pro
45.24 detonators drivers
win xp sp1
directx 8
1.02 config for ff7 and chocobo patch

-edited info concerning 1.02 exe-

Mystiq

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2003-09-27 08:57:04 »
Chrysalis: Unless you've been living under a mossy rock, you'd have found out it's not for NVIDIA cards, per se, but a fix for cards that don't support palletted textures -- which is every card since 3dfx (it was used to save video RAM, I believe; most consoles use it or at least I can name a few that do). Back when this game was made, the 3dfx cards were popular and ATI wasn't even a valid competitor, hence why it says "NVIDIA" and not "cards that don't support this feature." And if there was any TNT- or RIVA 128-specific code in there, the game would crash on any other card and it doesn't, so there's not.

I get angry when people spit out wrong information and it's all over a forum...

Oh and PS: I'm using SP4 under Win2k and FF7 runs just fine with QFixApp.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2003-09-27 22:33:46 »
sorry if info is wrong on the 1.02 exe but the sp4 info is correct, XP has built in compatibility fixes for older games and apps and these were introduced to windows 2000 when sp3 was released.

I still stick by my claim that anyone with a geforce type card will not need to use qfixapp if they either have windows xp or windows 2000 sp4.

Also you will find the faq needs updating as people are finding out as it is indeed for an old version that existed pre windows 2000 sp2 and users are getting confused.

Dont attack me, there is no 1 fix for all users, I was giving advice to people with similiar hardware to me I did state that owners of other gfx cards I dont know what their solution is but only for geforce owners.

Lloyd

Thanks
« Reply #43 on: 2004-06-17 06:46:38 »
just like to thanks for posting this fix.. i gave up on this 2 years back and i stumbled apon some good resources here and now i am able to play ff7 on win2k! thanks :)

mofat

« Reply #44 on: 2005-03-07 22:48:21 »
to get it to work w/ win xp sp 2 i just uninstalled ff7, reinstalled it w/ all of the options (direct x, direct show, yamaha sound player) and rebooted my computer.  got no upside down videos and they all run fine so far.  so the only problem i have is that i dont have a game port for my gamepad.

chain907

Well Done
« Reply #45 on: 2005-09-30 02:16:19 »

:(! nice :))

whocarez

Re: Similar Issue
« Reply #46 on: 2005-10-13 09:19:47 »
Quote from: oglsmm

Problem - Game starts, black screen. If I hit enter, i get New/Continue Menu. New Game = BlackScreen, if I load an old save game it loads and plays fine and sound works. (world map and battles anyways).

my problem is exactly the same as oglsmm's one
is there a solution yet?

i dunno if anyone'd reply this msg since it post has been abondonded for so long but still i reli hope someone can save me here

so.........PLEASE HELP  :weep:

o btw the disc 1 my friend burnt me has no file called "eidos.avi" which everyone says a essential file before the game starts
so i copied one of the vedio in the folder and renamed it as "eidos.avi" ( can see nothing else a black screen anyway )
is it ok to do that?

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
Re: Similar Issue
« Reply #47 on: 2005-10-13 11:18:05 »
Quote from: whocarez

btw the disc 1 my friend burnt me has no file called "eidos.avi"

Copied versions are not supported here.

blackhole

« Reply #48 on: 2006-02-28 16:12:39 »
:D Thanks for this site! I've been wanting to play FF7 on my PC for a long time and never could get it to work until I found this place. I've tried almost every other fix listed on this site and others and this is the only one that has gotten me past the opening battle without crashing.

Just for future reference: I was successfully able to get FF7 to run on Win2k SP4 build 2195 by following Synergy Blades' guide at the top of this page with exceptions: I skipped installing the Win2k application compatibility update since SP4 stated that it was already part of the OS and would not let me install it. And I installed the Riva 1.02 patch so that I could use some of the other patches developed here.

1. Installed Win2k Application Compatibility Toolkit
2. Installed FF7 [maximum install]
3. Installed 1.02 / Riva TNT patch [software only, crashed otherwise]
4. Installed Chocobo-race patch
5. Used QFixApp exactly as described

Working fine so far. One comment - it appears that every time ff7.exe is replaced [like with the 1.02 or YAMP patches], the Application Compatibility settings are effectively lost. So after both the 1.02 and YAMP installs I had to re-setup (not reinstall) QFixApp otherwise the game would crash.

Otherwise it has worked flawlessly since. I've only put about 2hrs game time into it and had no issues.

System Info:
Win2k SP4 build 2195
Athlon XP @ 1600 MHz on Abit NF7-S v2.0 m/b
GeForce4 Ti4400
512 Mb RAM
Logitech Rumblepad used through Logitech configuration application

[post edited to reflect current stable settings]

Kyle "BlackHole"

kaelan

« Reply #49 on: 2006-03-10 23:10:16 »
I have a slightly different problem -- I can't install the game at all!  It does not appear to be the "error 112" problem mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.  Rather, I get a dialog saying that NTVDM has crashed, or something similar.  I'll re-try it from a different account and try and get a screenshot.

Is there a way to do a manual install? (Copy files, twiddle the registry, etc)  I'd do it if I knew what needed to be done :)