Author Topic: Colleges and such  (Read 5025 times)

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
Colleges and such
« on: 2006-05-16 00:09:38 »
Hmm, well I'll be going to college next year, any suggestions? I'm thinking about going to MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) or USAFA. I got a 32 on the ACT (35 on the math section :-D), but if I retake, I'm pretty sure I can get higher. Where are you guys going (future or currently [or in the past])?
« Last Edit: 2006-05-16 00:12:00 by RPGillespie »

Otokoshi

• View Profile
Re: Colleges and such
« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-16 01:01:27 »
Quote from: RPGillespie
Hmm, well I'll be going to college next year, any suggestions?

My friend graduated from RIT, Rochester, NY two years ago.  He got a degree in software engineering and now has a sweet job with this independent firm.  It's based in Crystal City (a hop away from Washington D.C.), and a majority of their contracts they recieve are from the federal government.  He currently manages his own team and recieves some pretty great benefits. (insurance, company car, expense account, ect.)  If this is even close to the field of study you are interested in, I've heard great things about MIT.

I currently attend JHU in for a completley different field of study.  :-)  The one thing that really annoys me here is everyone's deep obsession with lacrosse.  I don't hate the game, it's just not my cup of tea.  It gets annoying when everyone here follows it like a religion.  :-)

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-16 07:07:36 »
Quote from: RPGillespie
Hmm, well I'll be going to college next year, any suggestions?
I currently attend JHU in for a completley different field of study.  :-)  The one thing that really annoys me here is everyone's deep obsession with lacrosse.  I don't hate the game, it's just not my cup of tea.  It gets annoying when everyone here follows it like a religion.  :-)

Yeah, I have the same with friends who play WoW, sure it's fun, bu not for 6 months is it? I think it's kinda sad when people play so much online they forgot who their real friends are instead of there OMG'ing pixel-buddies.

Anyway I'm on KW1C in the Netherlands and do ICT, It's pretty fun but very easy, the main thing you learn is how to be a "great" system admin on Windows 2003 and Linux. Not something I wanne do for a living later but its a required step to being able to follow some programming courses so that's why!

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-16 07:42:21 »
I study Forensic Science and A-Level computing.

And as for "it cant be interesting for more than 6 months"

Learn about MMO's before making stupid ass comments like that.

New content to play is released bi monthly, perhaps longer. Theres expansion packs, content patches, talent rebuilds to play a different section of your class.

Many things.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-16 09:30:35 »
I think I played enough of MMORPG's to be able to say it aint fun after 6 months.
Sure there's updates (mainly bug-patching) but hey, is it really that great that 1 new weapon released?

Or burning crusade, wow, you can lvlv to 70 now, amazing, so much fun! maybe even some new weapons or races but its still the same.
Like every mmorpg is the same with other quests/bosses/items..

enough said, sorry to go off-topic.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-05-16 17:02:55 »
You obviously dont have a clue then, if you think thats all the expansion has to offer.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #6 on: 2006-05-16 17:52:38 »
Faaaaaaanboy.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-05-16 18:02:19 »
Ah, this fall I'm going to Washington State University. It's supposed to be good for civil engineering.

MIT is one of the highest rated tech schools in the country. Only thing is, I'd advise going to a smaller school because the little ones have smaller student-teacher ratios, meaning more one-on-one time and a potentially better education. Some people work well with crowded lectures, but it really depends on the person.

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #8 on: 2006-05-16 18:47:03 »
I'm going to assume based on stuff you've said in the past that you want to go for software development.  You'll definitely want your masters.  It'll give you a big edge (I'm also assuming you want to go into the industry after college.)

Go to a state school for your undergrad (inexpensive, and they are generally focused on TEACHING rather than research.)  Then get an assistantship at a good research school for your masters.  Even if you're planning on going right into the industry after that, you should be pretty good.

Actually, I hear MIT is good for industry, but I'd wait to go there until your masters (they probably have some kind of an assistantship for that, too.)