Author Topic: To subtitle, or not to subtitle.  (Read 7441 times)

Tsetra

• View Profile
To subtitle, or not to subtitle.
« on: 2008-10-10 06:29:41 »
When this project started, Mesden brought up the idea of changing the dialog windows to look more like subtitles ala Final Fantasy X. While it's possible to achieve the same effect, the look will be different mostly because of the larger font used in FF7. My question is which do you think would fit better?

These are technically mock-ups, as I just used the YAMP no-box patch and edited the dialog in Loveless to look more FFX-like, but the same thing is possible to do in Meteor so that item pick-ups and other areas can keep their boxes.
« Last Edit: 2008-10-10 07:24:24 by Tsetra »

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
Re: To subtitle, or not to subtitle.
« Reply #1 on: 2008-10-10 07:16:52 »
I actually prefer the look of the subtitles.  Less intrusive.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-10-10 12:40:20 »
Personally not crazy about it.  I'm used to ff7's style of boxes.

Perhaps this could be a separate patch for people who want it ?

Panga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-10-10 13:39:39 »
I like the look of the subtitles, but would it not cause problems reading it when in areas where the background is much lighter/brighter?

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-10-10 21:31:27 »
Hmm fair point, I never thought about that.  I think I could live with it in certain areas. :-)
I just like the look of it, as I'm used to FFX subtitles seeing as it's the one I play most.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-10-10 21:46:01 »
I believe the font is outlined and shadowed, so I'm fairly sure you'd still be able to see it in the few areas bright enough to be nearly white.

This is really an honest question, I'm not biased towards the idea at all. I just want your input on the matter and if there's enough support I'll think about it. It would basically require I go through and reformat ALL of the text so it would be a lot of work, and no matter what's decided, the idea is low priority and would wait until everything else was finished.

Krigo

« Reply #6 on: 2008-10-10 22:47:57 »
Looks good, it doesn't get in the way(like textboxes) and the shadow's effective.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-10-13 01:21:11 »
I'm officially a big fan of this idea.

I do like the original boxes though, so maybe this could be a seperate patch? I think i'd have to play through to see which I preferred, for now I think subtitles look nicer ^_^

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-10-20 09:42:45 »
I've been thinking about making some modular patches to go alongside this project. While learning Meteor, the Qhimm Wiki was insufficient, to say the least. I basically had to learn what the opcodes REALLY did by watching a scene play out, noting the sequence, and opening up the scene in Meteor to observe the opcodes responsible. So I did a lot of copy and paste with the opcodes and TONS of trial and error.
In the learning process I've been able to accomplish some fun things which don't quite fit within the scope of this project. Likely, I'll make compatible versions that can stack with this program first, then maybe add some of them later that can be used without it.

These things include the restoration of Biggs getting knocked down in the first reactor mission (play the PSX sampler demo to see it), the guards appearing after the first gate opens, the initial two guards in red you see yelling at you, LOTS of stuff. If I could freeze time, I'd love to write a more intuitive "how-to" guide for Meteor. It's honestly quite simple once you learn a few rules.

I've been meaning to get really crazy with it, doing completely new things like adding a new movie or two, adding materia, and as I've been trying to learn more about - adding a new character entirely into the database. My schedule is about as unstable as my whims, I'm afraid. So it doesn't get done as fast as I'd like it to.
Unfortunately, my home also has 56k. I do my uploading when I'm on my laptop and I'm on a faster connection. I'd love to post YouTube videos for you guys, but it's time consuming, time I'd rather spend doing more tweaking while the mood still strikes me, you know? But I love this game, and this site has really breathed new life into it. Eventually, you'll be seeing some of these things as my way of saying thanks.

Clad_in_Black

« Reply #9 on: 2008-10-26 21:20:55 »
I would definitely go for the subtitles, especially combined with this voice-over mod, it gives the game a complete new look!