Author Topic: Models by X-Dina (Satoh)  (Read 27845 times)

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
Models by X-Dina (Satoh)
« on: 2009-08-09 18:07:01 »
Ok so... I spent a few days messing around in Maya with what was a long long time ago, Sephiroth, and when I was done, almost none of the original mesh was left in it's original form and this was the result... I think it turned out well.

I would love to release it... but since parts of Square's models were used (albeit no longer intact) I can't... However... I am seriously considering making a new one from scratch for that very purpose...

Anyway here is the question for you all... What next? I'm considering doing a remake of all the weapons... but I don't know yet...

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
Re: Models by X-Dina (Satoh)
« Reply #1 on: 2009-08-09 18:21:40 »
Can I just ask a quick question... How does Maya differ from 3ds Max, they are both Autodesk programs correct?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-08-09 18:26:50 »
Oooo, this looks nice. I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

Let's see now, Millenia and slayersnext have been doing Cloud's swords, slayersnext has also done Aeris' weapons and (bearing in mind that he's done a lot of work on guns before) Millenia might be thinking of doing Vincent's weapons. Perhaps Someone like Cid (maybe?) could do with some nioce weapon models...

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-08-09 18:43:10 »
Hmm... Spears are a simple project with a lot of room for interpretation... I'll go with that and see what I can manage.

As for Maya vs Max, they were originally owned by Alias Wavefront and Discreet, before both companies were bought by Autodesk.

So essentially they are completely differing programs. I was trained in Maya at my college, though previously I had been using Max. Maya has a slightly steeper learning curve, but is far more simple in it's use once you know it... in my opinion anyway.

I can also efficiently use Metasequoia, which was a bit confusing at first but is now pretty simple. I loathe blender aside from importing and exporting.

EDIT: Actually after looking at Cid's terrible spears I decided to do Yuffie's weapons... she's my favorite anyway.

EDIT2: can someone point me toward a list of materia slots on each weapon?
« Last Edit: 2009-08-09 18:59:17 by X-Dina »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-08-09 18:57:53 »
you should join in our effort to remake battle models, see my wip thread or neocloudstrifes. Just pop me a line if you want a task (i dont want ppl to overlap work)

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-08-09 19:04:56 »
you should join in our effort to remake battle models, see my wip thread or neocloudstrifes. Just pop me a line if you want a task (i dont want ppl to overlap work)

I'm not terribly worried about overlapping, I'm doing it simply as a hobby rather than an actual mod... if you want to use my models (provided I haven't used more sephiroth's or tseng's XD;; )

That's fine... butI'm not setting any lofty goals like "revitalizing Final Fantasy VII"......yet.

I will try not to undermine your work however.

Basically to be clearer, I'm not joining the project directly because I have no idea how long I'll keep my interest in it and I don't like letting people down...

I'll help out while I am here... and won't when I'm not...essentially.

Long winded self-contradicting arguments aside... I'm gonna start on the shurikens now.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-08-09 19:17:05 »
thats kind of how it is for everyone... i have no promise i'll do everything... but as much as i can! :D

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-08-09 20:07:58 »
In that case I suppose you have my support.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-08-09 20:09:13 »
anyone can contribue, and if its up to standard then its in! so model away on those shuriken!

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-08-09 20:34:12 »
For materia slot info for the weapons, download Wallmarket, you can view/modify all weapon info with it.

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-08-09 22:28:22 »
Well I decided against adding materia slots to the weapon models... The reason is that materia is much too large to fit on most of these weapons... so it would just look wrong to try...

anyway here is a standard shuriken.

EDIT: Boomerang
« Last Edit: 2009-08-10 03:03:37 by Satoh »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-08-10 05:52:13 »
Looking quite good!  May I inquire about the X-Dina to Satoh switch?

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-08-10 06:47:30 »
Looking quite good!  May I inquire about the X-Dina to Satoh switch?

My usual name is Satoh... on a whim I named my Qhimm account after a Ragnarok Online character I had once... psheew.... how long ago was that... anyway... since I've become a little more active I decided I'd better start going by the name I respond to most readily online...

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-08-10 07:04:24 »
You know? I never made the connection before this thread (and the subsequent username change).

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-08-10 07:10:47 »
You know? I never made the connection before this thread (and the subsequent username change).

Oh yeah... you were on the CC for a while with us weren't you?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-08-10 12:26:02 »
i havnt checkd yuffies weapons in some time, but those seem slightly unproportional? I may be wrong

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-08-10 16:38:11 »
the screenshots are of no particular scale... I had biturn open the whole time too for the originals as reference...

EDIT:

We have pinwheel...
« Last Edit: 2009-08-10 23:23:14 by Satoh »

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-08-11 04:31:32 »
Well...I guess if it's progress I can bump...

Razor Ring.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-08-11 05:14:31 »
Yes, do bump your own thread when there are wonderful updates :-)

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-08-15 07:11:04 »
Ok guys, no picture, but I've completely scratch modeled Rufus' face this time... (it looks almost identical to the Crisis Core modded model, but the actual polygon placement is completely different.)

As soon as I remodel the body I'll post pics and maybe if I'm lucky I can convince Millenia to texture it... (Of course I'll UV map it first to save some trouble...)

Thought you guys would like to know that Rufus is getting a makeover finally... that's all...

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-08-15 11:34:33 »
Judging by the picture in your first post, he seems to be in very capable hands :-)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-08-15 14:15:56 »
you goin for the anime style of ff7 or more realistic like in AC?

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009-08-15 17:10:36 »
I used AC Rufus as my reference, so it looks like that... But I'll be making his outfit like it was in the game....Or as close as I can manage... In the game his coat buttoned all the way up to his throat... which is impractical to say the least. I'll be giving him a little breathing space.

That face looks awesome, how many polies is it? And is it generated?
And can you teach me  :-D

Right now I believe the whole model is under 2k polys, but that ma change...(I'm using a generic reference body I made for a friend as the base)

I tried using facegen on my original model to get a similar model without being a copy of square's resources... that facegen model looked terrible. So I modeled it from scratch using the generic face on the aforementioned model as a base. I added some details... moved verteces... scaled etc. etc... Essentially I did the exact same thing I did for the first version, except I didn't touch Squeenix's precious stuff to do it.

As for teaching... I normally try not to agree to such lofty things... I'm not a great teacher really... and aside from all of that... I have already started tutoring a good friend and don't have room for 2 students...

Thanks for all the compliments, I'll try to live up to your expectations.

I do have a question for you all... Do you prefer the sawed-off shotgun or the whatever-the-hell-it-was gun he had in AC?

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #23 on: 2009-08-15 17:20:20 »
wow, these updates are coming along nicely! well done my friend  :-)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009-08-15 17:23:13 »
I do have a question for you all... Do you prefer the sawed-off shotgun or the whatever-the-hell-it-was gun he had in AC?

I'm (nearly) always a fan of being faithful to the original. Sawn-off shotgun for me :-P