Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837140 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.1)
« Reply #250 on: 2014-07-28 01:00:11 »
It's a bit of a conundrum. I think I'd want them to be strong enough to take out enemy groups, but not too strong to sweep a boss immediately. But raising a boss' HP to account for summons isn't a good idea, it should be an option to use Summons but not a necessity; more HP means much longer fights for players who don't use Summons. Same thing goes with Lv.3-4 Limit Breaks; if you boost HP to account for, say, Meteorain then the player is left with a mountain of additional HP to cut down if they don't use Meteorain.

Not sure what the confusion is over starting at Lv.6, that's how it was in the original game. The old version of the mod started at Lv.1 (copying the Hardcore mod) but I put it back to Lv.6. Doesn't make a huge difference, except that it's not required to grind in the 1st Reactor (the starting items were extended as well for this). And I've said a few times before now that I was reducing EXP given in encounters for that exact reason; the player is progressing too fast and finding themselves too strong (I suppose it's marginally better than the other way around, but only marginally).

I think that's all of the main ones; you can pick up Trine on the Da Chao in Wutai. I don't remember Roulette being available until the Crater unless I gave the Gambler enemy in the Rocket Area that skill too. Zolom is a bit of a loose thread now; I think I'll buff him up now that you mention it. I'll have him immediately eject the party if they're under a certain level, but after Lv.50 or so he can be fought as an optional boss and drops potentially missable items, maybe? Yeah, I think I'll do that.

I almost forgot all about the Fort Condor prizes. Yeah, they were changed but I can't be sure if I finished changing them properly. I better double-check. And there should be a battle with either Sgt/Cpt/Cmd Grand Horn if the enemies reach the hut during the Fort Condor minigame; is this not triggering?

That Scorp boss can be slightly tough if he manages to raise his tail (his defences increase significantly). As far as L4 Suicide goes, I decided not to take it too much into account when speccing things (levels are mostly unchanged) so if you find something that works, go with it.

LetCreativityPlay

• Final Fantasy FTW *_*
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/LetCreativityPlay
« Reply #251 on: 2014-07-28 01:06:09 »
You think it's worth doing the fort battles? I remembering most items being potions and either. Curse ring, and The comb was nice!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2014-07-28 01:14:05 »
Hmm. I might try to make the Fort Battles (slightly) more interesting. But not too interesting.

Nice profile picture.

Loseless

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2014-07-28 10:44:40 »
Actually, there's a Zemzlet alike thing in Mt. Nibel that uses Trine. Just got killed by it a while ago. The thing cast two of those things and Cure 2 couldn't handle it. And I think that the 8 Eyes in the Temple of the Ancients uses Roulette.

Anyway, what I really wanted to ask you is if there was a way to easily make enemies give much less experience or characters level slower. Maybe you could make a separate version, if its not too much trouble, for those who feel that they're leveling too much. Right now, the mod's challenge has died. The enemies don't even pose a treat anymore. Being at level 44 just after getting Cid pretty much nulls the increase in difficulty.

Also, is there any news on Lambda? I really wanted to get Odin :P

Oh, and regarding the fort battles, if you do change the items, please tell us to what, since I only fight for the useful ones. I'm afraid I don't quite have the time to track back the fight all of them. And if you upped the enemies it wouldn't be a bad idea... Or putting a special boss at the last fight, even after the enemies were defeated (with the Imperial Guard dropped, of course).
« Last Edit: 2014-07-28 10:54:48 by Loseless »

lappers84

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2014-07-28 14:01:37 »
I'd love to see someone make a guide to this mod - especially covering all the locations of the enemy skills and materia.  I have yet to find Morph materia, currently working my way through the extra side quests - just got killed by the machine board in wall market, my current team are:

Cloud lvl 88
Cid lvl 89
Aeris lvl 88

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 2014-07-28 14:08:50 »
Actually, there's a Zemzlet alike thing in Mt. Nibel that uses Trine. Just got killed by it a while ago. The thing cast two of those things and Cure 2 couldn't handle it. And I think that the 8 Eyes in the Temple of the Ancients uses Roulette.

Anyway, what I really wanted to ask you is if there was a way to easily make enemies give much less experience or characters level slower. Maybe you could make a separate version, if its not too much trouble, for those who feel that they're leveling too much. Right now, the mod's challenge has died. The enemies don't even pose a treat anymore. Being at level 44 just after getting Cid pretty much nulls the increase in difficulty.

Also, is there any news on Lambda? I really wanted to get Odin :P

Oh, and regarding the fort battles, if you do change the items, please tell us to what, since I only fight for the useful ones. I'm afraid I don't quite have the time to track back the fight all of them. And if you upped the enemies it wouldn't be a bad idea... Or putting a special boss at the last fight, even after the enemies were defeated (with the Imperial Guard dropped, of course).

That thing still has Trine? I remember changing that back to Thunderbolt, maybe I made a mistake or forgot. Lambda was changed in the scene.bin hotfix but the main installer wasn't updated with it yet; that'll be rolled out later tonight hopefully if I can get all these changes implemented in time. And the items in Fort Condor were generally just disposable items, but I'll check them out and see what's there.

I'd love to see someone make a guide to this mod - especially covering all the locations of the enemy skills and materia.  I have yet to find Morph materia, currently working my way through the extra side quests - just got killed by the machine board in wall market, my current team are:

Cloud lvl 88
Cid lvl 89
Aeris lvl 88

When things have settled down a bit, I'll put together a quick guide that players can quickly refer to if they want to find something. In the current version, Morph (should) be dropped by the Kalm Traveler but in the update that's going out Morph will be freely available again from another location.

lappers84

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 2014-07-28 14:32:09 »
I thought I'd ask, but would there be any way to perhaps impliment new weapons or armour into the game (if of course you could add a new dungeon to the mod) - would certainly stretch the game further.  If at all possible that is.

Loseless

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 2014-07-28 14:34:52 »
Thanks, I'll go beat it now.

And Fort Condor still drops the Magic Comb as the first prize and the Peace(?) Ring as the third prize. The others I don't remember in which order. X-Potion and Megaelixir amongst them. I was just trying to get the Superball, but that must have been moved too.

Oh, and I can help you with the guide, Chief. I already wrote a published FF7 guide, amongst guides for other RPGs. I also like to write :P Unless you have enough spare time and really want to do it.

Btw, what happend to the Great Gospel?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 2014-07-28 14:43:13 »
More amour and weapons is properly not doable. I guess there are 15 possible weapons for each character and the rest is also very limited. New dungeons are impossible at the moment.

LetCreativityPlay

• Final Fantasy FTW *_*
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 2014-07-28 14:58:56 »
A guide sounds pretty cool!!!

You can get Great Gospel and other final limit breaks by doing character sidequests you unlock once reaching north crater :-)!

If you need some help with sidequest locations, boss fights, or boss names for optional fights I have uploaded a complete play through here.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFFJy7ETmAkt-HX1loJ2SlUt_ILfisXLC

Currently doing a no exp challenge that are part of the playlist, so any tips/advice/guides are helpful. I also post my strategies on these no exp videos too, feel free to use them if someone is making a thorough guide.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-28 15:08:24 by LetCreativityPlay »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 2014-07-28 15:18:22 »
A big full-scale guide might not be a good idea right now, there's too many changes being made and there's a NG+ getting added on at some point. If you really want to put one together though, then go ahead; it might be quite useful for the NG+ because it'll be a different scenario with new challenges and puzzles.

Kalderasha, I was thinking about using 7H to swap in field screens that use a different script (and variables to prevent clashing with the save file) to set up a pseudo-dungeon. It'd be 'random' screens each time, with a challenge on each; sort of like the FF Advance dungeons, setting up new scenarios on old field screens.

LetCreativityPlay

• Final Fantasy FTW *_*
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 2014-07-28 15:36:58 »
Your next update you're putting up will also include revisions of bosses?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 2014-07-28 16:00:23 »
Yep, revised the Disc 2 bosses and making some tweaks to the E. Battle and Sidequest ones.

Loseless

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 2014-07-29 00:10:19 »
So, I just cleared out disc 1. Here are my thoughts:

Midgar section is masterfully done.

From Midgar to Junon things are OK. Magic becomes a little underpowered here. Jenova is a challenge, but a good one.

From Costa Del Sol to Corel things are easier than expected. Spells here become almost useless, as they cannot keep up with physical attacks. A boss in Mt. Corel would be nice.

From Gold Saucer to Cosmo Cannon things go smooth. Reno and Rude could have a little more HP. Finally some lvl 2 spells. The Cosmo Cannon section is too easy, as lvl 2 spells level the competition.

Nibelheim and Mt. Nibel were not bad. I'd power up the three guys at the entrance of Shinra Mansion, as they are as easy as a random encounter.

Rocket Town and the Temple of the Ancients were also more easy than expected. The dragon was a pushover. The Demon Wall was most challenging boss since Jenova. Got killed by Beta tough. I didn't saw it coming and hitting for 1500 damage :P

Yuffie's sequence was surprisingly easy. Rapps was easier than pretty much all random encounters.

Jenofa was the most broken fight ever. I have no clue to how the thing can be killed. I gave up after a dozen game over screens. And while I don't give up much, I got tired of seeing Aeris being impaled with a 5 foot sword by a man who suffers from Buffalo Bill's complex...

As for the whole experience: the mod starts great and kind of dies after Junon. Since levels are earned so fast that kind of takes the edge of make the enemies harder. Also lvl 2 spells felt too cheap. At level 50 Cloud had more than 500 MP, meaning he could cast 34 lvl 2 spells per battle. That's pretty much insane. Takes the challenge out of it. The bosses also stopped posing a challenge after Jenova, Demon Wall being the exception. Gi Nattack was interesting.

My final thoughts: leveling too fast is killing the challenge. I left disc one with Cloud at 55 and I never stopped for leveling up. Summons are too weak. Magic is too cheap. After Junon the mod actually becomes as easy as the original game, mainly because the party is 10 levels above what they would be and spells are cheaper to cast. From Nibelheim onward it just becomes easier than vanilla. I left disc one 15 levels above what I usually do in vanilla.

Now I'm just waiting for the fix to fight Lost Number.

PS: There are two Superballs dropped. The first I don't remember where, but the second is at the fourth fight in Fort Condor.

LetCreativityPlay

• Final Fantasy FTW *_*
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 2014-07-29 00:38:21 »

My final thoughts: leveling too fast is killing the challenge. I left disc one with Cloud at 55 and I never stopped for leveling up. Summons are too weak. Magic is too cheap. After Junon the mod actually becomes as easy as the original game, mainly because the party is 10 levels above what they would be and spells are cheaper to cast. From Nibelheim onward it just becomes easier than vanilla. I left disc one 15 levels above what I usually do in vanilla.

Now I'm just waiting for the fix to fight Lost Number.

PS: There are two Superballs dropped. The first I don't remember where, but the second is at the fourth fight in Fort Condor.

You may be over leveled, but Disc 2 and Disc 3 become more challenging, especially end game with all the side quests and extra bosses. Hehe I was with ya, I was high level at the end disc 1.

Hmm, one of Cloud's sword state it does magical damage? How that formulated?

« Last Edit: 2014-07-29 00:41:53 by LetCreativityPlay »

LetCreativityPlay

• Final Fantasy FTW *_*
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 2014-07-29 00:54:32 »
Whoops meant to edit not double post: One of Sea Worm's attack locks the game up
« Last Edit: 2014-07-29 00:56:35 by LetCreativityPlay »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 2014-07-29 01:02:03 »
Well, hopefully the changes will fix it up a bit better. I've taken a note of the Disc 1 bosses you mentioned and I'll look at ways to make them more threatening. The enemies in those areas can maybe stand for some slight reinforcement too.

I'll do something about that Beta too, I'm not a fan myself of getting sweeped out of nowhere so I want to avoid that happening to other players. I'll review Jenova Decay as well; the fight is winnable, but it's a pain to go through the cinematic on each attempt.

Whoops meant to edit not double post: One of Sea Worm's attack locks the game up
Righto, I'll fix up that Sea Worm attack.

Edit: Oh, there were two posts. I think Cloud's Rune Edge just used a magic-attack formula instead of a physical one. I was never too sure of it actually. I'll probably change it (and Magic Shuriken/Solid Bazooka too).

Edit 2: Just remembered, now there's only one flevel; Field Music is now set through an option in-game and can be toggled. The initial decision is made at the start of the game, but there's an NPC on the Highwind now who can change it.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-29 01:14:45 by Sega Chief »

LetCreativityPlay

• Final Fantasy FTW *_*
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 2014-07-29 01:25:43 »

I think Cloud's Rune Edge just used a magic-attack formula instead of a physical one. I was never too sure of it actually. I'll probably change it (and Magic Shuriken/Solid Bazooka too).

Cool beans thanks, and I do like the sword: it's a nice combo with sleep since it doesnt wake up enemies upon hit.

paralleluniverse

• <3 Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 2014-07-29 22:27:23 »
Hello, where is destruct materia?

Loseless

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2014-07-29 22:47:23 »
It isn't on the same place as it was originally? I found it there.

Btw, Chief, I found two Raising Sun's, one dropped by Diamond and the other at the Sunken Plane. Was this planned?

And any news when the new patch is coming?

paralleluniverse

• <3 Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: 2014-07-29 23:12:06 »
Um Im skipped the flash back scene, was it during it?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 2014-07-30 00:27:39 »
Hello, where is destruct materia?

The Destruct Materia should be where it was originally, in the Shinra Mansion basement (but not during the flashback, it's when you re-visit after completing Cosmo Canyon).

Btw, Chief, I found two Raising Sun's, one dropped by Diamond and the other at the Sunken Plane. Was this planned?

And any news when the new patch is coming?

Probably not, but Rising Suns are available en-masse in a pack of 40 (part of Edge's Throwing Set, one of the randomly selected Mystery Prizes available from Battle Square in place of W-Summon) so it's no biggie. I'll maybe give Diamond something more interesting as a Steal/Drop though.

Update got delayed slightly because I figured out a way to merge both flevels and make music behaviour an in-game option. That cuts down on the amount of work/risk supporting two flevels and simplifies things going into a 7H version. As far as it goes, this update is more or less done but I was trying to test battles to make tweaks; it's not been easy, I need to set some time aside and play the mod start to finish to get a proper team that can give proper feedback. For now though, enemies were pushed up from the Temple onwards; a healthy level and speed increase with some defence, HP, and attack tweaks. But let me know if the standard enemy formations are too much to handle (damage-wise) and/or if bosses are unmanageable.

I also went ahead and changed Ultimate Weapons too; I've got a plan for them going into NG+ but at the moment they're being squared against the other high level weapons. For the most part, characters each have a weapon that:

-) Vit/Spr: +50
-) Mag: +30
-) Dex/Luck +50 (Ultimate Weapons)

This'll likely be changed soon, but for now it seems to have a nice balance. The Luck boost might be broken a bit on Cait Sith, though (if Luck Plus is used).

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 2014-07-30 01:56:22 »
IS it just me or is it taking me a really long time to level up my limit breaks?

I'm at Cosmo and I JUST got Blade Beam for Cloud.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 2014-07-30 02:39:32 »
It should take roughly the same number of kills/uses to learn Limit Breaks.

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 2014-07-30 08:00:03 »
Sorry if the question has already been asked but : is this mod compatible with bootleg / reunion ?