Author Topic: [FF7PC-Steam] - XBox 360 Controller Fix (2.1)  (Read 97427 times)

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 - XBox 360 Controller Fix [2.0]
« Reply #25 on: 2013-10-07 21:21:49 »
This only works with a fresh untouched flevel.lgp, I'm afraid :-/

The program I used to map the buttons was the 2012 launcher. I just updated the config.

I may create one for PS controllers at some point, but most people seem to use the XBox controller for PC gaming: It's the only "standard" controller that games tend to automatically work with, and it doesn't require any special adapters or software installations, either.
I see, thanks for the info!
I am adding the ability to have proper PS buttons for Reunion. Actual graphics.  But the easiest way to do this for any joypad (without graphics) is just use my text replacer program TextChange and change things like [SWITCH] to [Square] and so forth in batch, and then encode the text files using  ts.  It works a charm in no time.

Anyway, it will all be added as option PS joypad wise for Reunion.
Ah DLPB ;D Legend!
« Last Edit: 2014-01-12 13:49:31 by sunz »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2013-10-08 16:47:36 »
1. Will this break for people using non-default controls? A lot of people like to switch X and O so that the game more closely mimics more modern US games.
2. I would be glad to make 360-pad icons, if you'll add an option to use them. It is the most popular PC gamepad after all (even if less well suited to this particular game).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2013-10-08 16:53:09 »
Well the actual graphic will be static and show PSX controls, but the joypad config can still be changed even if it doesnt match.  Of course you'd want the X in game to match up with its function cancel.

I am not sure how the PSX did this.  When you changed the config in PSX did it also change the graphic?  The PC version will always show the same thing regardless of what you change.  Switch is always switch (of course you assign a button to it).

Actually as far as I remember it just did "OK" "Cancel" instead of buttons?  Its funny that I cannot remember....
« Last Edit: 2013-10-08 16:55:08 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2013-10-12 12:33:56 »
Updated!

Now does more checks to make that it's worked correctly.

Reidlos

• View Profile
Re: FF7 - XBox 360 Controller Fix [2.1]
« Reply #29 on: 2014-01-12 00:19:41 »
Can you provide just the files that need to be replaced? It wont let me install it because its not seeing my steam version, prolly cuz its on a separate hard drive location

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2014-01-13 15:50:08 »
I asked this in general but maybe this is a better suited place..

Anyway to permanently change the default button layout of the 1998 version? because seriously this is annoying as all hell.. My button map is different than the one on the main page even..

square(or X on XB) is for okay, triangle (y) is for cancel, circle (b) is for menu. L3 is select.. It's maddening! i know that i can just change it in the menu, But even that seems to prove to have issues (like if i change Cancel to Okay then i can't do anything anymore and have to reinstall..)

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #31 on: 2014-01-13 16:08:01 »
I really suggest pinnacle. If you have a DirectInput enabled controller it wont use the default xbox controls and I made a ff7 profile that matches the psx controls exactly. 

Otherwise pinnacle is great for other games like Bioshock 2 and F.E.A.R. and it updates itself for free.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2014-01-14 14:47:11 »
third time that PGP has been suggested to me (once of oblivion, once for MPC-HC and now once for this :P)

guess i should just pick it up. Just wish the game would support it natively.. ya know?

Thunderpeel, What does your program modify? I'll see if there isn't the same file in the 1998 version and make a patch myself.

If hex edits.. I'll look at the reunion documentation :P

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2014-01-14 21:34:57 »
All you need to do is replace the texture png that comes with Reunion with the Xbox controller graphics, and then use Gimp or some other program to fill the alpha channel in black.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2014-01-14 23:06:53 »
All you need to do is replace the texture png that comes with Reunion with the Xbox controller graphics, and then use Gimp or some other program to fill the alpha channel in black.

I'm actually using a DS3 using Scarlet.crush's xinput wrapper. So as far as my PC is concerned i'm using an xbox controller :P

The issue is that X and Square are swapped, select is R3, i can't recall if it's the shoulder buttons to flee or not, i recall it being R2 and L2 and it's the shoulder buttons.. So the mapping is all screwy is my issue

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2014-01-14 23:31:13 »
third time that PGP has been suggested to me (once of oblivion, once for MPC-HC and now once for this :P)
Can I be the fourth? :P  PGP is a top-notch piece of software, and I guarantee that even if it doesn't solve this problem, you're sure to find a good use for it. Not to mention, it really beats the pants off competing products, such as JoyToKey and Xpadder.

I'm not sure if it can be made to force ff7 to see your controller as DirectInput... but if you can get ff7 not to see your gamepad, then PGP can make it send keyboard presses.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2014-01-14 23:48:46 »
Think in order to do that I'd need a xinput to direct input wrapper for my DS3 to xinput wrapper.. haha
Guess I'll change the button set up manually per game. Was just hoping to avoid this.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #37 on: 2014-01-15 00:20:17 »
Can I be the fourth? :P  PGP is a top-notch piece of software, and I guarantee that even if it doesn't solve this problem, you're sure to find a good use for it. Not to mention, it really beats the pants off competing products, such as JoyToKey and Xpadder.

I'm not sure if it can be made to force ff7 to see your controller as DirectInput... but if you can get ff7 not to see your gamepad, then PGP can make it send keyboard presses.

It wont, that way you can map the keys to what ever you want. I have a Logitech controller that has D and X, ff7 works with the X but the controls suck so I use D and mapped the keys to match the psx controls. Works exactly the same, from what I remember.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2014-02-08 00:28:34 »
Can you provide just the files that need to be replaced? It wont let me install it because its not seeing my steam version, prolly cuz its on a separate hard drive location

Sorry about the delay in noticing this message. You can get the files and manually install them here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179295659

Good luck!

« Reply #39 on: 2014-02-28 17:15:00 »
Well the actual graphic will be static and show PSX controls, but the joypad config can still be changed even if it doesnt match.  Of course you'd want the X in game to match up with its function cancel.

I am not sure how the PSX did this.  When you changed the config in PSX did it also change the graphic?  The PC version will always show the same thing regardless of what you change.  Switch is always switch (of course you assign a button to it).

Actually as far as I remember it just did "OK" "Cancel" instead of buttons?  Its funny that I cannot remember....

The PSX version would say [*button function*] (previously marked *button icon*)

I recommend glovepie. It's way more functional than any alternative I've used, and although requires scripting, it's rather simple and easy to pick up. I've been using it to supplement FF7 (1998)'s built in DInput support for my XBox controller. I would like to be able to use button icons though...

RichterB

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-Steam] - XBox 360 Controller Fix (2.1)
« Reply #40 on: 2014-09-21 09:36:05 »
Any hope to have something similar for FF VIII? Really annoying to have B1, B2, B3 and so on.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #41 on: 2014-09-23 18:13:22 »
I am adding the ability to have proper PS buttons for Reunion. Actual graphics.  But the easiest way to do this for any joypad (without graphics) is just use my text replacer program TextChange and change things like [SWITCH] to [Square] and so forth in batch, and then encode the text files using  ts.  It works a charm in no time.

Hey DLPB - how did you go about doing this? I'm trying to find a way for FF8 Steam to look at the icon.tex file for the PS buttons instead of it using B1, B2, B3 etc.  The game is currently pointing to text indicators instead of looking for locations in the .TEX file
Does anyone know where this code is located? Or where I might start looking? 
I've replaced the PS buttons with high-res versions, and even have an Xbox version ready to go for SeeD Reborn if we can figure out how to get the game to look for a texture location (which it does on the PSX version) instead of the text.

RichterB

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2014-09-27 14:45:42 »

Hi mate. Mcindus asked you how to avoid that the game uses B1, B2, B3.. button names.
Did you replied?
I just want to know how to do, because I hate to have these generic button names. Very annoying.
Thanks

WhiteZero

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2014-10-24 17:26:37 »
So you were able to change the in-game button names? I'm using a DS3 with an XInput wrapper. Any recommendation on how I could go about changing my in-game button names back to the original PlayStation ones to match my DS3?

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2014-11-05 23:02:00 »
I'm using pretty much the whole 7th heaven catalog, will I be able to use this game pad fix?

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2017-02-05 15:09:01 »
Sorry to resurrect this thread, I just want to alert people to the fact that all support will be handled on the official mod page from now on. I still get messages about this, so please go here instead of pinging me elsewhere:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179295659

This mod has probably been superseded fancier ones now, though. (I guess Reunion, with its new script, does this automatically now?)