Author Topic: Screen Capture Software  (Read 5589 times)

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
Screen Capture Software
« on: 2014-08-20 19:29:24 »
I'm looking for a good screen capture program that will allow me to capture ff7 game video. I want it to capture sound and not be choppy after recording. Any suggestions?

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: Screen Capture Software
« Reply #1 on: 2014-08-20 19:34:35 »
It's an expensive solution but it might come in handy for any various future projects ;) (software included and it's free of charge and monthly fees)

I'm not sure if xsplit does the job but it requires a 3 months or yearly paid subscription.

I have recorded with OBS but only in window mode. And don't remember if I've used fraps in fullscreen or window mode.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-20 20:00:25 »
Looks like obs is the winner.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-08-20 20:16:03 »
Come on, LeonhartGR, recommending a hardware solution for recording PC? Don't get me wrong, the HD60 is a fine piece of tech and I want one myself, but it's not really good for recording PC unless you've got it connected to a second PC.

Typically I recommend OBS for free capture software, and Dxtory for paid software. OBS is more streaming-oriented, and much less versatile as far as codecs, compression, etc. if all you're doing is a straight capture, but it's definitely well worth the entry price of free. Dxtory provides less of a performance hit (in my experience it's the best out there for performance), but at the cost that it's more difficult to use, and utterly useless for streaming.

Some folks recommend FRAPS. It works, but I wouldn't pay for it myself; it's not enough better than OBS to be worth money, or Dxtory at all.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-08-20 20:50:09 »
OBS is what I'm going to use. :)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #5 on: 2014-08-21 09:27:11 »
Issues fixed by installing the latest Aali's driver:

Issue (v0.7.11b):

Fixed (v0.8b):

(but those pop up messages... agh!)

@Covarr ;) ;) I was a bit hyped by the new Elgato release. I believe it is the perfect solution for game capturing and supports pc capturing as well if you connect the HDMI cable, with many cool features that you have to "rent" if you are using xsplit :) :) I'm suggesting various solutions though... not sure what fits better for each one.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-21 17:16:41 by LeonhartGR »

ProtoX

« Reply #6 on: 2014-08-21 16:48:41 »
i still use hypercam2 with the Techsmith codec 3.1 since I bought Camstasia Studio 8. it works fine for me but its not best. I can record 30 fps max on it some games like Sonic Riders PC, the AMD Raptor GVR Records 60fps max with out lagging the game.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-08-21 17:23:54 »
Hypercam is primarily made for non-game screencasting. What makes apps like OBS, FRAPS, Raptor GVR, and Dxtory better than the likes of Hypercam is that they hook right into the game's DirectX or OpenGL output in order to capture at a high speed. Hypercam, on the other hand, is pretty much taking a series of screenshots after everything is fully output. This is much slower, and bad for a game's performance.

For general screencasting of your desktop, Hypercam will perform about the same as the rest; there's no DirectX or OpenGL source to hook into. But for games, especially if you need 60+ fps, it's all but worthless.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-08-21 17:50:47 »
To sum this up.  Covarr is right.  Get Dxtory.

ProtoX

« Reply #9 on: 2014-08-21 17:55:31 »
ive used hypercam2 for years without a problem so I have no reason to switch

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-08-21 18:28:51 »
ive used hypercam2 for years without a problem so I have no reason to switch

hypercam2 cannot capture anywhere near the fluidity of Dxtory.  The way it works means it can never be a flawles capture. You will always get skipping and other issues with it.  It also can't lock the fps of the game.

ProtoX

« Reply #11 on: 2014-08-21 19:05:15 »
I understand that, but I don't comfortable changing to something new unless there is too many problems with something. if there is one thing I learned about over the years it not how programs work but how you use the program. for god sakes I remember when I had my old mugen videos back in 2009 to 2011 I had recorded at 15 fps with it, but as time grew on I started to record at 30 which is my current standard and now almost able to do 60 fps with it.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 2014-08-21 22:19:03 »
Was your sound effects mod recorded with HyperCam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ufVFOv_AsE

ProtoX

« Reply #13 on: 2014-08-21 22:55:03 »
no riped  and edited in audacity I figured if I wanted hi quality sound effects I rather get from a game that came from the psx era other wise it be too out of place. I rather have decent sound from the same era over too modernized sounds.

barrets big shot sound effect was the most trickiest to get right in time length with the original sound effect.