Author Topic: Installing qgears stable and daily build on *buntu from new PPA  (Read 5236 times)

BesideTheVoid

• formerly known as ProtoArmor
    • View Profile
    • Official BesideTheVoid Productions Website
Hi guys, I know that the setup for daily build is new and maybe the stable version isn't set up yet, but I just want you know (attempted on Lubuntu trusty):

#I install and run daily build:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sithlord48/ff7-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install q-gears q-gears-test-data
q-gears

#It runs the configuration window but the window says choose an engine, but the only option is click one, and clicking the drop-down crashes q-gears (error in console is "0-width" window)

#So I remove both packages then remove the repository:
sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:sithlord48/ff7
sudo apt-get update

#Then I attempt to install and run stable build:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sithlord48/ff7
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install q-gears q-gears-test-data

#result is:
Package q-gears is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
#I am guessing that error is due to dependencies staying but only valid q-gears PPA being removed (?)

#However, the following errors show that the stable PPA is not a valid q-gears PPA (yet?):
E: Package 'q-gears' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'q-gears-test-data' has no installation candidate

I understand if you haven't added the stable builds yet since this setup is so new, but please advise on the crash of the daily build--meanwhile I'll try another day. I hope it includes OGRE--compiling that is quite a chore and not many people will try q-gears if that is required ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1148570 ).

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
hello, there is no Stable version of q-gears yet. so you will have to run the daily build..

q-gears needs config options passed.

the default run command is
Code: [Select]
q-gears --resources-file=/usr/share/q-gears/resources.cfg --config-file=/usr/share/q-gears/q-gears.cfg --plugins-file=/usr/share/q-gears/plugins.cfg

q-gears currently will crash if not run from /usr/share/q-gears (path with its resources) .

you should use the desktop file from your menu when ever possible if you can't find it you can create one by pasting this into a new .desktop file

Code: [Select]
[Desktop Entry]
Categories=Application;Game;
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=/usr/games/q-gears --resources-file=/usr/share/q-gears/resources.cfg --config-file=/usr/share/q-gears/q-gears.cfg --plugins-file=/usr/share/q-gears/plugins.cfg
Path=/usr/share/q-gears
GenericName=Q Gears
Icon=q-gears.png
Name=Q Gears
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Version=0.21
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false

when you have q-gears running Press F8 to start the demo.  there are also other executables built if you check the package details they are mostly dumping tools and install to /usr/share/games/tools/<ff7|ff9|xeno>/ unfortunatly many of those tools require ogre configurations that have not yet been created for the package.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-27 02:44:25 by sithlord48 »