Author Topic: [REL] FF8 Rephrased  (Read 11988 times)

Silent Warrior

• View Profile
[REL] FF8 Rephrased
« on: 2011-12-29 18:12:45 »
Hm, well, I don't know if it is quite alright to start another topic on this, but now I seem to have a release ready. Dump contents in [FF8 Main dir]\Data - MAKE BACK-UPS! You might even want to consult the readme.

My aim with this was to touch up on the text, maybe rephrase it in ways that make the characters seem more real, human, and not so much poorly translated plastic action figures. :) I mean, the general work put in by the paid pros wasn't all that bad, but the editing work left a lot to be desired. Some '... Whatever's have been replaced with something else entirely, though along the same line of thinking, punctuation and spaces have been brought closer to the text-book English they taught me in school (weeell, I'm actually swedish, butlet'snotgethungupondetails)... What else did I do...?

This is the first release, RC at best, and I haven't tested it myself yet (not played through from start to finish), but I'm fairly confident in the quality of my work. Besides, if I missed something, or made a mistake, the more eyes going over this the better.

Happy new year, ya?

Part 1
Part 2

[Update]
Now on Mediafire!

[Update, 21/1]
Official release! I have played through the game with my tweaks/fixes in place, and after sorting out a few misses, inconsistencies, and what I hope was a decompression brainfart, I consider this project complete. Unless someone reports a mistake, or whatever, this is the final release. Links are updated - now compressed with 7-Zip. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 2012-01-27 06:55:10 by Silent Warrior »

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 Rephrased
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-30 19:08:09 »
So is this some sort of retranslation?

Silent Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-01-01 17:39:18 »
I wouldn't go THAT far... Consider it a second editing pass. I only worked with the original text, after all - I'm struggling to even determine which is up and down in Japanese writing.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-01-10 13:11:52 »
I always though VIII was pretty well translated anyway.

Silent Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-01-11 09:56:44 »
Compared to FF7 PSX, no argument whatsoever. BUT: The translation didn't seem to be fully spot on, in my eyes. So, I've tinkered a little bit. Made the main characters more dynamic (some regularly recurring manner of speech has been adited, like Irvine's 'So like', Squall's '...Whatever', Fujin's all-caps speech, Raijin's '..., ya know!?'), moved some commas around - most of it is in the readme, though.
Rephrase is a key term here.

[Update]
KNOWN ISSUES:
Opening hours for Balamb Garden's training center was mysteriously misplaced. Until someone tells me what those hours are, the coming R2 will say that it's 'always open'.
There is also a spot I would like to edit when you first meet Selphie, and when you speak to the card guy at the walkway leading to the elevator, but I can't seem to find them in Garden...
Some screens I haven't been able to find in the editor - such as the walkway leading from home room on Balamb Garden second floor to the elevator - so I have, sadly, not gone over 100% of the game text, and I doubt I'll be able to. Nevertheless, I'll make sure this turns out as good as I can make it.

Discovered some more imperfections. Another version will be prepared.

[Update, 18/1]
WARNING! Through unexpected circumstances, R1 makes a terrible mess of the text at the Orphanage where Edea discusses how to approach the White SeeD ship, and where it may be. The events trigger as they should, but the text is just... FUBAR. R2 should fix this - as well as fixing up some screens I thought were forever hidden from me.

I'm now up to Lunatic Pandora in my playthrough - goin' just fine.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-18 10:31:45 by Silent Warrior »

Silent Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-01-21 12:44:56 »
I think I'll forgive myself if I bump this: I have achieved release! R2, finished playthrough and adjusted the bad bits I came across. It won't get any better without comments and suggestions from other people.

I updated the first post to reflect most of the news, but... BUMP! :evil:

UGerstl

• Analyst and Backup-Manager
    • View Profile
Re: [REL] FF8 Rephrased
« Reply #6 on: 2012-01-27 05:51:17 »
Hi Silent Warrior,

your links are not working: FF8 Rephrased Part 1/2

;)

Silent Warrior

• View Profile
Re: [REL] FF8 Rephrased