Author Topic: Sharing / Donating Resources - models, textures, audio  (Read 37903 times)

Tempus

• This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Hello to Team Avalanche,

I'm the lead developer for a project called 'Mako Dawn', a total conversion mod for Fallout 3. Throughout the development of the project I'll be modelling lots of FFVII stuff, mostly concerning the top floors of the Shinra Building you visit in the original game (59 - 70), but also a full Midgar model which I plan on using for a short opening sequence. Basically I'm posting to ask whether you'd consider sharing resources between our projects. I'm more than happy to donate any of my resources that you guys want, provided they're made by me. Models, textures, audio - whatever.

It seems to me silly to have two FFVII projects being worked on but no resources being shared - it could potentially speed up production of both projects. But I do understand that perhaps you guys feel otherwise and if that's the case there's not much I can do about it.

Here's our moddb page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/mako-dawn
Here's our Nexus page: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=17324
Here's our forums: http://makodawn.com/forum/

Here's my some of my photobucket albums which contain FFVII related stuff I've made:
http://s365.photobucket.com/albums/oo94/JigsawPieces/Mod%20WIP/
http://s365.photobucket.com/albums/oo94/JigsawPieces/My%20Models/
http://s365.photobucket.com/albums/oo94/JigsawPieces/shinraBldgMod/
There might be some other stray stuff in other albums. I generally put test stuff (and other random stuff) in my default album.

Here's my youtube channel which contains various videos related to the project as well as FFVII arrangements I've made:
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakebowkett01

Here's a link to an archive I compiled a month or so ago of FFVII stuff I made including models, textures and audio. There are .blend, .psd, .dds and .mp3 files within it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?o2ln62u63ve93wv
Here's a FF7 resource pack which mostly contains things the above archive doesn't:
http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=15895
It'll help if you have DDS Thumbnail Viewer installed (http://www.nvidia.com/object/dds_thumbnail_viewer.html) so that you don't need to open each .dds file in Photoshop or another image editor app to view them.

Well, I think that's it. To be perfectly clear: everything linked to here can be used by anyone however they wish with or without permission unconditionally. To contact me you can add me on one of the IM addresses beneath my avatar here at Qhimm or at the Mako Dawn forums. Additionally, here's my usernames on some of the sites I use:

moddb: JigsawPieces
Nexus: Dawn_Apex
Mako Dawn forums: Tempus
« Last Edit: 2012-04-01 11:49:26 by Tempus »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing / Donating Resources - models, textures, audio
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-07 16:13:07 »
Wow.
I'd love to see the combat!

Tempus

• This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-11 20:39:03 »
I find Fallout's combat very boring :D The focus is more going to be on exploring the tower and finding things and talking to people ;)

Is no one interested in my proposal?

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-11 22:44:35 »
I'm definitely interested in assimilating some of the resources into Bootleg.
Alas, there's a tremendous about of work involved in creating quality conversions.

The 3D scenes are better suited for use with the Avalanche and Gears projects.

Tempus

• This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-12 15:22:14 »
Yeah, I figured my stuff would be of most use to the Team Avalanche project, but if you want to use anything that's cool ;)

A WIP Midgar model is now available in .blend or .obj format from the Nexus (second file down titled 'Midgar Model') and moddb.

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #5 on: 2012-02-12 20:42:25 »
I'm totally stoked about your willingness to share, and think there are some good materials for use in that mod. For example...

I think the materia could be edited to fit the huge materia. The moogle is really cool, but I'm unsure how the doll would look animated to be a real moogle.

I wish more people had that kind of willingness to share their works. So many people make FFVII related models and textures for school projects and other personal reasons, but are totally unwilling to share it with the world. There are at least 3 high res midgar models, and a great Cloud and Sephiroth floating out there that are completely custom but the creators have chosen to lock them away in their personal collections. We also end up with people who start a project and make great progress, but burn out on FFVII modding and don't leave their projects as a WIP for someone else to finish. That's how we ended up with so many awesome WIP pics but very few people, if any, will ever get to have those mods in game.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-15 03:41:25 by Grimmy »

Tempus

• This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #6 on: 2012-02-13 17:16:19 »
No worries. It's not hindering me to share stuff so I figure I might as well do it. It's always unfortunate when a project dies or stagnates to a slow grind but it's even more unfortunate when it never gets released - finished or unfinished. Most mods never get finished or released :( At least if mine never gets finished it will be released. I've rewritten the end of my original post to remove any ambiguity about permissions. I'll be doing the same with Nexus and moddb pages soon too.

The moogle (who I named Beatrix :D) is one of my favourites, but yeah I'm not sure how it'd work animated it was only intended to be a stuffed toy. I've been thinking of making one of them toy soldiers you collect in the original game too, but it's not very high on the priority list right now, haha. Some other models like this crate might be useful too:

As originally seen here:

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-02-14 05:05:45 »
This would be a great oppurtunity to not only make both projects development faster but also have a much greater outcome with an actual team working and sharing together.

I would be more then happy to share my full Midgar model, so long as I know it would be solely used for game-play/movie scenes and not personal benefit.

Tempus

• This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #8 on: 2012-02-14 07:34:13 »
Hello Sapphire, I'm familiar with your Midgar model, that sounds good! I have no plans to benefit from other people's stuff (or my own for that matter) in any sense - financial or otherwise.

I'm actually working on a Midgar model too, so you're welcome to use any parts of that you want to assimilate. Most of my work so far has been focused on the center of Midgar. The entire model is based off of a low poly model you see when you look out the windows of the Shinra Building in the mod. Still very much a WIP. I've uploaded a .3ds version here for you to look at if you want ;) I think you use 3ds Max, right? I dunno how it will look since I exported it from Blender, but hopefully you'll see it the way I see it :D
« Last Edit: 2012-04-01 11:50:10 by Tempus »

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-02-14 09:25:03 »
Hey there Tempus i've added you to MSN Messenger we can discuss what we can do to help each other out furthermore there.

Tempus

• This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #10 on: 2012-02-14 11:39:55 »
Ok, I've accepted the invite, but you're not appearing on my contact list at all (not even 'offline') :S I signed into the hotmail site and it says your address is private, so perhaps there's some setting you need to change?

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-02-15 13:11:52 »
I'm online now :).

Tempus

• This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #12 on: 2012-02-15 13:26:36 »
Not for me :( You still don't appear on my contact list... Do I appear on yours?

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-02-15 14:36:31 »
Hmmm I'm not able to add you apparantly, trying adding me.

[email protected]

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-02-16 15:35:03 »
you might not want to post your email like that due to possible spambots....
but that's just my humble opinion

Good to see you back  :-D

@Tempus: For what it's worth, I had major problems importing your 3ds file, and even the obj file was totally garbled.
eventually I opened up blender and reexported it to FBX, so I could have a look :-)

Funnily we've got three different models of Midgar in different states of completion, but overall the proportions seem to be quite the same, although yours are a lot smaller than mine... (I've started with the walkmesh as a base, and working off that).

For Fallout 3 I think my model is way overdone (my MAX file is over 70Mb) and still growing....
must do some cleaning up... :roll:

I've matched up Warrens version to include the Shinra building, although I did some remodeling on some, and still some more to do.

Here's what it looks like:

so far...
 8-)

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012-02-17 05:22:18 »
Oh wow, nice work Spoox!

Good to see you made use of my towers, I have to redo the bottom of the headquaters too, but the top and the middle is near complete what not.

I have to give you my latest .max see what you can salvage and use from there. I'm sure theres something of use for you!

Tempus

• This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #16 on: 2012-02-17 20:25:17 »
@Sapphire

You're appearing on my contact list now, so hopefully it's all good now ;)

@SpooX

Sorry about that, I don't have 3ds Max, so I wasn't sure what it was going to look like. I'll export to .fbx next time ;)

For Fallout 3 I think my model is way overdone (my MAX file is over 70Mb) and still growing....
must do some cleaning up... :roll:

Haha, I'm going for what I call a 'medium poly' approach. Even if I didn't use any parts of either of your Midgars I expect they'd still be very useful just to look at and likely help me generate ideas for my own. I'd be fine with remodeling high poly things into lower poly versions for use by me.

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-02-18 15:03:00 »
I have been thinking about doing the same thing just in case something happens to me.
The .blend files are about 200MB and since megaupload is down i dont know where to upload them.
Any idea?

Tempus

• This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #18 on: 2012-02-18 15:36:43 »
You have .blend files that are 200mb?! Whoa! I think my biggest .blend is about 8mb... Unless you mean you have lots of files that amount to that?

Anyhow, I use Mediafire now: http://www.mediafire.com/

If you compress the file(s) in an archive an upload them there you should be fine :) You don't need an account, just remember to hold onto the link it gives you.

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-02-18 18:17:53 »
5min1_2a  dhttp://www.mediafire.com/?2zoxvmaot26zfxb
« Last Edit: 2012-02-18 18:19:37 by anaho »

Tempus

• This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #20 on: 2012-02-18 20:20:06 »
That looks very nice, anaho. I was actually eyeballing that earlier! I saw a Shinra Tower elevator scene you made when I was searching the forums, how would you feel about sharing that?

If you want any of the .blends for my stuff, just ask. You can browse the galleries linked to in my original post for stuff. Perhaps you'd like my floor 59?
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo94/JigsawPieces/geckScreenFloor59.jpg
Obviously you'd be able to cut out the junk on the ceiling which is obscuring the floor.

Also, I have a WIP train car:
http://media.moddb.com/images/members/1/356/355160/cargoInterior_03.JPG
It's actually quite an old model and I won't be doing further work on it until the Shinra Building floors are complete.

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012-02-19 00:10:50 »
Just my 2 cents: That 59th floor is nice! Does it match the original render or did you just eyeball it? Would be cool if this was open, of course.
I plan to release everything btw I am just bottlenecked by my bandwith. Yeah, I know Third World is great and at all that ;)
And another thing: If you plan to use that in a game engine be aware that the texturing is as cheap as it gets and some objects dont even have UVs. Also I went a bit crazy with the subdivisions.
You can greatly reduce the render time by giong to the World Panel and under Gather lower the sampling rate. Or untick AO completely for quick renders.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-19 00:15:38 by anaho »

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-02-19 00:25:43 »
Also that outdoor Shinra evelevator begs to be released ;)

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile

Tempus

• This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #24 on: 2012-02-19 11:03:19 »
Just my 2 cents: That 59th floor is nice! Does it match the original render or did you just eyeball it? Would be cool if this was open, of course.

Thanks :) I just guesstimated it by sight. It's pretty much impossible to have things the same as the original render and feel and look 'right' in Fallout 3 from a first-person perspective. Also, things generally need to be scaled to the Fallout 3 player mesh otherwise things like chairs and doors look out of whack.

If you get the nif scripts for Blender it'll allow you to open any of my already released models without having to wait for me to upload .blends. You use a later version of Blender than me, but I think the later versions can use the nif scripts too or at least have their own version. The bonus to this is the model will already be pointing to my textures which are part of the same download. The imported .nif looks fine and provided you check the 'keep objects separate' box (or something like that) it's basically the same as the .blends I'm working on except everything is on one layer.

If the nif scripts don't work I can upload .blends and .fbx files, but the disadvantage there is you won't have the textures or same directory paths. The textures paths of the .nifs are relative, whereas my .blends are absolute (at least I think they're absolute).

I plan to release everything btw I am just bottlenecked by my bandwith. Yeah, I know Third World is great and at all that ;)
And another thing: If you plan to use that in a game engine be aware that the texturing is as cheap as it gets and some objects dont even have UVs. Also I went a bit crazy with the subdivisions.

That's ok, I can always use your elevator model, for example, as a basis for my own which I'd create over the top of it.