Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII (I'm about to go CrAzZy!)  (Read 9868 times)

FinalFantasyRox

• View Profile
Final Fantasy VII (I'm about to go CrAzZy!)
« on: 2002-10-21 21:51:54 »
Hello,

I really hate to post another FF7 "Help Me!" topic, but I *really* do need help. For the past four weeks I've been trying to get FF7 to work on Windows 2000. I've read numerous forums, newsgroups, Web sites, and even IRC. I'm about to go NuTzZ! :isee:

I managed to get FF7 running to the point where it loads and plays the intro movie. But when the group gets off the train and Cloud has the fight the two blue policemen, that's where the problem starts.

As soon as Cloud is hit by one of the men or Cloud is about to hit one of the men, the game crashes; it goes back to the Desktop with no error dialog box or anything.

I know that I have to use the Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT) in order to make FF7 work on Windows 2000. And I've tried, tried, and tried! Either I'm doing something wrong, or I'm missing some knowledge to get ACT running properly.

As far as I understand, there are three solutions to get FF7 working on Windows 2000:

1) AppFix
2) QFixApp
3) AppCompat

I've tried all (details below).

AppFix - I ran C:\Program Files\ACT\Applications\AppFix.exe and it copied some files somewhere and popped up the command prompt and immediately closed it (it was like for one second, I couldn't see what happened). I then ran FF7 and it crashed during the fight sequence. I tried rebooting and running FF7; it crashed during the fight sequence, too.

QFixApp - I ran QFixApp and chose ff7.exe. First, I selected all the checkboxes and ran FF7. It crashed during the fight sequence. And second, I selected only 'CheckWriteFileBuffer.dll' and 'VirtualRegistry.dll' (as specified by 'Check Exisiting Fixes...'). It crashed during the fight sequence as well.

AppCompat - I ran AppCompat and chose ff7.exe. I selected 'Windows 98' and experimented with the check boxes. I couldn't even get FF7 to run this time. As soon as I clicked OK, I got the following two error dialog boxes:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
MSVCRT.DLL for Win32
Error: MSVCRT.DLL is not compatible with Win32s.

--AND--

ff7.exe - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

I've tried several dozen times now, failing each time during the fight sequence. I've read all that I could find. Please help! I would *REALLY* appreciate any help to fix this issue.

Computer Specifications:

Windows 2000 SP3
450 MHz (Intel)
128 MB SDRAM
8MB VIDEO CARD (ATI RAGE PRO TURBO 2X)

Note: I've been running FF7 with 'Software Rendering' mode. Even though I have a 3D video card, it does not recognize it since ATI cards have a problem with 8-bit palletized textures. I tried applying the Riva patches from Eidos' Web site, and even though FF7Config accepts Direct3D support, when I run FF7 I experience a fatal crash (Windows 2000 blue screen of death, power down, and automatic reboot). But I don't mind that I am unable to use hardware acceleration. I only care that I can play FF7 on Windows 2000 and get passed the first fight sequence!

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2002-10-21 22:44:59 »
Well, if you have an extra copy of Win95/98 laying around, you might want to consider dual-booting, since 98 is generally guarranteed to work with ff7.

But, other than that, I don't know what else to suggest.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #2 on: 2002-10-21 23:25:26 »
Well, I dunno much about running FF7 in Windows 2000, but from what I hear, sometimes it just works, and if it doesn't "just work," then its a huge pain to get it to work (if its at all possible).  In Windows XP (very similar to Windows 2000, as far as FF7 compatibility goes), I've never had any problems running FF7 at all (aside from the Chocobo races bug).

Hate to say it, but that FF7 XP patch thats floating around might not be such a bad idea, cause it seems to fix a few things besides the Chocobo racing bug.

Dual-booting is the solution to go for if you can't get it to work.  Unfortunately, I don't know any way to install Windows 98 that won't require a reinstallation of Windows 2000, unless you wanna do some fancy hard drive switching.

FinalFantasyRox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2002-10-22 05:33:59 »
I know dual-booting would work since FF7 worked on Windows 98. However, for miscellaneous reasons, I won't be able to dual-boot.

Nevertheless, I don't believe my problem is with the operating system, but rather the ACT. I'm either using it incorrectly, or I'm missing a step.

If many people who have Windows 2000 are able to play FF7 (I've even heard Windows 2000 SP3 works), then theoretically every Windows 2000 user should be able to. I don't believe this is a hardware issue. Since Microsoft software is the same for everyone, I would suppose that those (including me) who are unable to play FF7 are doing something wrong.

That's why I'm here. To see what I did wrong. :)

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #4 on: 2002-10-22 12:14:40 »
Course, I know quite a few people who play FF7 on Windows 2000 who have never touched the ACT.  Sometimes it likes you, sometimes it doesn't... I think Seph3D has FF7 problems he has still been unable to resolve in Win2K.

Nori

• View Profile
.... loo loo
« Reply #5 on: 2002-10-22 16:40:55 »
I think FFTactic_Boy plays FF7 on Windows 2000...

atzn

• View Profile
Re: .... loo loo
« Reply #6 on: 2002-10-22 18:03:07 »
Quote from: nayoung
I think FFTactic_Boy plays FF7 on Windows 2000...

Umm lol.. no I don't...  :P
I told you I left my FF7 in Msia.. didn't bring it, instead I brought FF8... oh well  :-?

I do play FF8 on Win2000 though, and I  haven't tried FF7 on Win2k before (I played it on Win98/ME, worked fine)

So I think my suggestion is to dual boot... I'm sorry really. I don't have any suggestions to offer since I don't have FF7 at the moment... and I can't find one in the UK stores.. (duh!)  :weep:

Edit - oh by the way... FF7 did crash on Win98/ME if I remember correctly.... (After Cloud moves a few steps in the game, Illegal Operation... always happens!) and the *only* *extreme* way to fix it was to format the computer. Of course I'm not suggesting to you to format your PC; but I just thought you might wanna know some info about FF7 and Win98/ME.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2002-10-22 20:02:18 »
Oh, joy......

Now I gotta test this (since I use Win98SE on my machine), and see if its true.

But, I seriously doubt it, since I've played it in the past on Win98.  Are you saying it crashes on the beginning part of the game, after the train stops and you blitz the Military Police?

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2002-10-22 20:22:28 »
Quote from: Goku7
Oh, joy......

Now I gotta test this (since I use Win98SE on my machine), and see if its true.

But, I seriously doubt it, since I've played it in the past on Win98.  Are you saying it crashes on the beginning part of the game, after the train stops and you blitz the Military Police?

My crash wasn't related to that. Whenever I load any FF7 savegame and after a few moves Illegal Operation happens...

I do not think that has anything to do with my Windows 98/ME (that time)... must be some faulty hardware or corrupted files.....

Nori

• View Profile
OH NOOO
« Reply #9 on: 2002-10-23 00:22:45 »
Ahhh shuuushiii...
I forgot about that... oops sorrrryyyy...
BTW, I met very Americanized Japanese girl today...
Guess what...?  She is into Final Fantasy 1~7... lol
COOL COOL COOL

Good news - - -
FF7 (1.00 software & 1.02 hardware) works~
WIN2000 SP2 (I think...)
855 MHz
ATI 128 AGP
128 SDRAM
3 GB

FinalFantasyRox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2002-10-25 10:25:59 »
Thanks for the info, guys. But I still couldn't seem to get passed the first fight sequence.

Tomorrow I will reformat my hard drive and install Windows 2000 without Service Pack 3 as I am starting to believe SP3 is the cause of my problem. Today I read in newsgroups that SP3 is not only a privacy violation for Windows 2000 systems, but also contains code that doesn't make every application function properly.

Hopefully Serivce Pack 2 would fix everything and get FF7 working.

Note to <nayoung>: How were you able to get Direct3D working with your ATI card? Would it be possible if you give me the exact version of your driver, please?

Thanks.

Nori

• View Profile
nani
« Reply #11 on: 2002-10-25 14:17:28 »
I used 1.02 or 1.2 patch I think...
not too sure about driver version... I will ask =D
(my boss *friend* updates my *based on 4 users'*
comupter: ex: windows-drivers ^^)

Wait I got it...
It came with Dell Dimension XPS T700r
Rage Pro 128 (5.0.0.86)

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2002-10-25 20:49:34 »
OK I've just read the FAQ section of the forums and found out that Black Materia Cloud has actually found a way to make FF7 work with Win2000.

http://forums.qhimm.com/viewtopic.php?t=1245&start=60

Read Black Materia Cloud's post (in that link) if re-formating Win2000 doesn't make FF7 work.

FinalFantasyRox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2002-10-27 00:48:10 »
I finally figured out how to run FF7 on Windows 2000!! :D

In short, there is nothing wrong with QFixApp. I just didn't enable NT5 compatibility mode. Then I got lucky when I noticed that compatibility mode is only enabled with Administrator rights. So when I enabled it with Admin it worked. I chose specific settings in QFixApp and it's working like a charm! Oh yeah, I really did need to downgrade to SP2. SP3 doesn't seem to like compatibility mode. I reformated two times trying to figure that one out.

I wrote up a document to help others who have similar problems. I will post it here in a minute with the title HOW TO GET 'FINAL FANTASY VII PC' RUNNING ON YOUR WINDOWS 2000/NT 5 SYSTEM.

By the way, I also figured out why Windows XP users have less problems than Windows 2000 users. Windows XP has compatibility mode turned on by default. Windows 2000 is set off as default.

Thanks again guys for all info. When I get free time I'm going to try to see if I can use my ATI video card with FF7. But for now I don't care. I'm just glad I can run it.

Nori

• View Profile
Oh Goodie...
« Reply #14 on: 2002-10-27 02:18:42 »
Glad it worked (SP2)... but my university-football team
lost the game today...
Anyway..., Seph3D should give a try (run FF7 in W2K) =D