Author Topic: Uber-FF7 is here...  (Read 16665 times)

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
Uber-FF7 is here...
« on: 2001-07-20 21:47:00 »
I was working on something pretty unrelated for the remake when I came across something useful in FF7 ... thought I'd work on it for a bit, and one day on, here I am.

What am I talking about? FF7 in 32-bit colour, MWAHAHAHAAH! MWAHAHAHA! BWAHAHA . Ahem.

Anyhoo, I got FF7 running in 32-bit colour on *my* PC (and spewing out tons of debug messages, but that's not *quite* as impressive). So: Can people try and get it working on *their* PC's now? Download the patches from my website.

J*** H*******

Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #1 on: 2001-07-20 23:08:00 »
Message.

ficedula

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #2 on: 2001-07-20 23:29:00 »
Well, that's semi-encouraging  :D That's the worst part of any program - it works on my PC, but will it work at ALL on other people's?

The main place I notice the change is the shaded boxes - you could see the colour banding on large boxes in 16-bit depth; 32-bit solves that.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #3 on: 2001-07-21 02:32:00 »
hmm
i got ff7 V1.00, it patches ok for the 32-bit one
but trying to run it and it goes black and exts to the desktop! even if i set the screen to 32-bit and 640*480 res

ficedula

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #4 on: 2001-07-21 03:06:00 »
Get v1.02 then   :wink:

Seriously, since I have to run 1.02 any patches I make are gonna be far more likely to actually RUN on v1.02 than any other version...

Like I said in the readme; if you've got a card that doesn't need the v1.02 patch, so what? Get it anyway and don't enable the NVidia fixes.

Update: I've got FF7 running in a window now. I'll post the .cetra patch for that tomorrow once it's tested a bit more.

[This message has been edited by ficedula (edited July 20, 2001).]

The Skillster

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #5 on: 2001-07-21 03:39:00 »
yep
upgrading to v1.02 works
i might post that on my webspace if ppl have problems getting it, i did. haad to go to eidos ftp site.
i see no more banding, but i get bigger borders top&bottom of my screen (not to worry, must b the monitor) but no swirly thing.
havent tested movies yet (i did the CD hack thing cos i cant b bothered to get the CD),

ff7 in a window ? interesting,
cos i ask u something, when u apply the patch it says "applying registry hack" what does it change in the EXE and the registry? if u dont mind sharing ur discoveries with us?

thanks

ficedula

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #6 on: 2001-07-21 03:52:00 »
Right.

When FF7 starts it looks for a binary value in the registry called SSI_DEBUG. If it's there, and contains the right data, debug messages are enabled.

The first thing my debugmode patch does is create a value in the registry with that name, of the right type, and the right size. That's what it does in the registry.

The *next* thing it does is change the EXE code. I did that by examining it in assembler ... nasty but useful. Rather than hack all the different parts of the program that check the registry, I let FF7 check that the SSI_DEBUG value is present, of the right data type, and of the right size. Then, when it checks to see whether the data is valid, it sets a variable to 0 is the data's invalid. The program then tests: Is that 0? If so, skip the debug enable. I just edit the assembler code from the JZ (Jump on Zero) CPU instruction to JNZ (Jump on Not Zero). Then, debug is on when the data ISN'T valid. Which is always, of course, since Square haven't told us what the key for debug mode on is.

I could have skipped the registry edit altogether by editing the assembler that checks, Is the data present? Is it of the correct size? etc., but it was quicker just to hack the code that checked the contents, and satisfy the *other* conditions by creating a registry key of the right type. It was easy to tell by looking at the source code what size and name the registry value had to be; I *couldn't* tell what data it should contain, so I hacked that part.

The Skillster

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #7 on: 2001-07-21 11:08:00 »
what about in the 32-bit patch? howd u do that>?

Zophixan

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #8 on: 2001-07-21 12:52:00 »
what is the url of your site?

ficedula

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #9 on: 2001-07-21 14:26:00 »
URL of my site is in my profile
 http://ficedula.cjb.net" TARGET=_blank>http://ficedula.cjb.net

32 bit patch: Much easier. I just found the part where it calls the SetDisplayMode function and changed it so instead of passing in the result of a function it calls to pick a colour depth, it passes in 32 all the time.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #10 on: 2001-07-21 18:42:00 »
You know a long while ago.
I decided to saty away from FFVII for a while cause it was getting boring. But I just gotta try this. Thanks Fice you are the F-ing man.

Edit: No luck. It go's into the game then imideatly crashed back to the desktop. Works with ou the 32 bit patch.
Thats with the 650 dets of corse...hmmn.

Nor is your music patch working Fice. Its giving me this in information:

WinMM layer NOT located. Check NEWMM.DLL is in correct location.

FF7 NOT located. Is FF7MUSIC patch installed in correct location?

This blows. The damn DLL is in the right place amd I have patched the EXE. I'm sure I fixed this before but I just cant remember!

[This message has been edited by Sir

Canealot (edited July 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sir Canealot (edited July 21, 2001).]

Ant

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #11 on: 2001-07-21 19:36:00 »
Su-wheet

Ever going to release the code?

ficedula

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #12 on: 2001-07-21 21:35:00 »
If the 32-bit or debugmode patches aren't working make sure you've got version 1.02 of FF7. That worked for Skillster...

Music patch? Is the setup EXE program in a folder called FICEDULA located inside the FF7 folder? It expects to be...

The code? All the code there is, you can see inside the patch files. Don't expect to understand it though; it's in raw hex. You'd need to understand assembler to alter or make patches yourself...

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #13 on: 2001-07-21 22:30:00 »
I have 1.02 of FFVII and it is still doing this....I cant think of any thing I am doing wrong.
And I got the music patch to stop producing those errors but now it still wont play Mp3s. It keep on dumping the IDs. But the IDs it dumps are the same IDs that are in the Ini file. I dont get it.
I am 99.9% sure I have the program set up alright...

Perhaps this be "Ficedula bad day" or something...I should try cosmo for a laugh. If that dosent work then the gods have cursed me not to be able to run any of oyur stuff or something. Damn gods.

[This message has been edited by Sir Canealot (edited July 21, 2001).]

The Skillster

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #14 on: 2001-07-22 00:38:00 »
hmm in 32bit the movies have big black streaks coming down the screen

ficedula

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #15 on: 2001-07-22 00:53:00 »
Yeah, running FF7 in 32-bit isn't perfect; the game wasn't designed to do it, after all.

However: I DO have a sort-of-fix. When you run FF7 in a window it has to use the same colour depth as your desktop, of course. So if your desktop is in 32-bit, running FF7 in a window forces FF7 to be 32-bit - and it doesn't corrupt the movies like the first method does.

I'll upload a FF7-window mode patch tonight or tomorrow; I'm just testing it at the moment.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #16 on: 2001-07-22 16:46:00 »
Hmm... wouldn't it be easier to check *which* value should be there? Where's the function located, I could take a look at it...?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #17 on: 2001-07-22 05:06:00 »
Hmm, I did a bit of checking, and from the looks of it the EXE debug patch is really unnecessary.  :)

To enable debugging messages without patching the EXE, create a new string value in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareSquare Soft, Inc.Final Fantasy VII" key, and call it SSI_DEBUG. Enter "SHOWMETHEAPPLOG" as the value. FF7 should now output all of its hidden debug messages. (Mind you, I haven't tested any of this. Anyone care to try?)

On a side note, while studying the asm listing of FF7, I've found that the debug message functions also include file I/O, suggesting you can set FF7 to create a rather detailed log of its session (APP.LOG perhaps?). I'll know for sure later on.

Anonymous

Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #18 on: 2001-07-22 06:40:00 »
isnt 1.02 one of those patches for computers that are 'different'?

The Skillster

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #19 on: 2001-07-22 12:00:00 »
its a bug fix version, especially for Riva128/tnt cards

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #20 on: 2001-07-22 12:17:00 »
I make the SHOWMETHEAPPLOG entry and what it did was write a file called app.log, but didn't write anything into it. Looks like the patch is needed

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #21 on: 2001-07-22 17:40:00 »
I have yet to try the patch although I've downloaded it already.

BTW, since it's probable to get everyone's attention in this thread, do you think that FF7 stores some of the info for the field files bitwise? What I really mean is they can choose to use 3 bits to store certain information instead of the usual minimum of 1 byte(8 bits). That *could* be an explaination for the irregularities in the section 7 of the field files.

ficedula

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #22 on: 2001-07-22 17:43:00 »
Qhimm: You'd have thought so ... but I couldn't get it outputting debug messages that way. So I just hacked the exe ^_^

If you enable debug messages with my patch, you'll find out FF7 does both output debug messages via the system debugger, and logs them to APP.LOG.

FF7 v1.02 includes support for the Riva 128 and TNT. You don't *have* to enable it though.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #23 on: 2001-07-22 17:49:00 »
Update.
I just tried Qhimm's registry hack and it does work. Note though that I'm loading it through the original FF7.exe not version 1.02. I have 1.02 but I haven't tried it yet.

Just in case you guys wanna know, APP.LOG is created everytime you run FF7.exe, the only difference is without the correct registry hack, nothing is written to it.

fice : My question above?

ficedula

• View Profile
Uber-FF7 is here...
« Reply #24 on: 2001-07-22 18:26:00 »
Well, I guess it *could* be that way. I can't say for certain, of course.

Update: I uploaded that windowed-mode patch I was talking about before.

[This message has been edited by ficedula (edited July 22, 2001).]