Author Topic: No VGA Input?!?  (Read 7399 times)

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
No VGA Input?!?
« on: 2008-06-20 20:06:28 »
Hey guys, hoping someone will be able to reply to this pretty quickly.
I recently got Metal Gear Solid 2, for the PC, and installed it on my laptop, alas, it didn't run very well (it doesn't agree with Intel chipsets apparantly), so I decided to try it on my somewhat neglected Desktop.

I used to use it all the time, when I got the laptop, it became less useful to me, but the last time I used it (approx 2 months ago) it worked just fine.  But when I switch it on now, I get a mesage on my monitor saying No VGA Input, and my monitor goes to sleep.  My PC is working, but there's no display.

Any suggestions?

I've got two GPU's I tried, a Geforce 6600TC, and a Geforce 8600, neither will get me a display, and I don't even have an onboard Graphics card to get into the BIOS.

My PC is:
Intel Pentium 4 2.9Ghz
1gb ddr2 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 6600TC/Geforce 8800
HP vs17 Monitor

Please help guys, I don't want to even think about buying another graphics card or PC (I'm a student, therefor cash is a bitty of a problem).

auxili160

• View Profile
Re: No VGA Input?!?
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-20 21:15:27 »
Sure your monitor is plugged in? lol
That'd be the only problem that's causing this. If your graphics card SERIOUSLY can't read your monitor, then something is busted.

Try using a different monitor, maybe.

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-20 21:20:08 »
YES, my monitor is plugged into my PC :-P
But, unortunately, I don't have another monitor to try it out on, only the one. :-(

I can't even see the BIOS, which sucks, I was thinking maybe I had changed the deisplay properties in there or something, if I have though, I'm screwed, cos I can't see it, to change whatever I might have changed, back...

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-20 21:22:23 »
You're gonna need another monitor to help diagnose this.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-20 22:47:12 »
Try to troubleshoot it. Remove everything from the motherboard, except the memory, CPU and graphics card (reinserting the graphics card might help) and try again. Check if capacitors aren't swollen while the case is open.

Fenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-06-21 09:04:58 »
If it is a bios setting, you could try resetting the cmos/bios using jumpers.  If you don't know how, it would be wise to look up where and which jumper to use from your motherboard's manufacturer.  If its a bios that is flash only, the same principle should still apply.  Oh, and if you don't have the manufacturer's info there should be small text printed on the board that says either cmos or bios, it usually has three pins with only two covered by the jumper, if this is the case move the jumper to the only other possible combination(i.e. the jumper is on the 2nd and 3rd pin move it to the 1rst and 2nd and vice versa).  Then start the computer with the moved jumper.  After everything boots up, repeat the process by returning the jumper to its original position(important).

:?  Confused? If you don't wanna do all the crap I just said, then alternatively you can remove the battery in the motherboard(looks like a watch or button battery) and remove the power cable for a few hours. Then just put it back, but the other option is safer as long as you know where the cmos jumper is.

I hope you don't have to do anything I just said and its an easier problem, but if you do I wish you the best. :-D
« Last Edit: 2008-06-21 09:33:03 by Fenrir »