Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 5615 times)

Tony Cossio

Need Advice
« on: 2001-04-23 12:01:00 »
Hello my name is Tony.  I am 18 and joined the Air Force over 8 months ago.  Before I joined I got into programming a little.  My mom bought me a very old computer at 15.  It was a Texas instrument and it was very old.  You could run Atari like games and read information from a Data tape.  LAME would not describe it.  I told my mom to get me a computer and she gave me this hunk of s**t.  Well, it had one more feature-you could write your on games in BASIC.  Well, I did for a while and after bugging my mom for a new computer I got a 333 e machine (whoopty do)  any way I learned how to make web sites and all sorts of crap.  Then I realized what I wanted to do-Make video games, good ones.
So I downloaded compilers, game engines (MORFIT.com helped me out) and so forth.  During which I decided to stop by the recruiters office and enlist in the Air Force.  Well I'm done with Tech school and bootcamp and plan on going to college.
What I wanted to know was what classes I should take.  What direction Should I move in?  What is the industry heading to?  What's a good place to start?  Any  commets/suggestions welcome.

-Amn Cossio    

All YOUR BASES ARE BELONG TO US

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: 2001-04-23 14:20:00 »
Well...to my knowledge, most people programming games usually don't have all that much education. They just learn it themselves. I wouldn't recommend that at all though, as education is a very good thing to have. Raises your wages, and if the industry goes down you don't go down with it, just look on all those people who are now loosing their jobs in the internet industry...perhaps people won't play games sometime in the future, who knows...it's good to have a backup plan, with good education you'll always have that. So my advice would be to educate yourself in computer programming in general, this means a computer science course if you're technically minded or perhaps the a little easier software development course. Other people older than me will be able to give you a more detailed description of those...in fact I think they're discussed in a thread in the tech forum already.

But, if you *only* want to learn how to make games, you could do worse than joining an open source game project ... I'm working on http://www.legacy-ovwp.org," TARGET=_blank>www.legacy-ovwp.org,  but I know of quite a few other projects as well.

I already know how to make games and more than that, but I still want proper education...it's not an industry you can stay in your entire life, I don't even think I want in...16 hour days and no life beyond work...fun the first month perhaps but after that you really need to be dedicated to it for it to work out. Open source games are great for a hobby that way, they're not consuming your entire life...

Jedimark

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #2 on: 2001-04-25 14:36:00 »
BASIC!!! LOL!!! My old BBC Master Series computer had Basic on it and that came out about 10 years ago! I still remember it well though it had some well smart games on it  :) Chuckie Egg and Dare Devil Dennis! LOL It's all coming back to me now, might go up to the attic and resurect it!

Ant

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #3 on: 2001-04-25 15:22:00 »
Chuckie Egg is wicked.

There are some PC versions flying about the net, but it's just not the same

M0T

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #4 on: 2001-04-25 20:59:00 »
Whats Chuckie egg?

Tony Cossio

Need Advice
« Reply #5 on: 2001-04-26 11:47:00 »
Hey Jedi Mark I had hits like dig dug pyramid of doom and come other atari like games.  

eerrrr

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #6 on: 2001-04-26 20:37:00 »
hey i played dig dug when i was a midget! it was on a very old Amiga, with stuff like Deluxe Paint and a million floppy disks from magazines. Speedball 2 was the best game i had, in fact i went and bought it for the mega drive a while ago. only a fiver.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Need Advice
« Reply #7 on: 2001-05-05 10:11:00 »
I have actually seen books just dedicated to game programming and one made a reference to a school for it.. its in the USA thats all i remember um check barnes and noble i forget there website too.. but um there is like 1 school out there dedicated to game programming... looks harsh though

Caddberry

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #8 on: 2001-05-05 10:16:00 »
I think there is a book on that a good one use some search engines.. there is a school dedicated to videogame programming in the US..

Caddberry

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #9 on: 2001-05-05 10:31:00 »
no maybe i still cant see my posts.. maybe that means i have posted enough for one night...

Need Advice
« Reply #10 on: 2001-05-06 00:26:00 »
That would be a cache problem. Next time, if that happens, try loading the topic and holding SHIFT while clicking Refresh (or Reload), depending on your browser.