Author Topic: Anyone want to help me solve this problem?  (Read 10889 times)

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Anyone want to help me solve this problem?
« on: 2001-05-24 12:19:00 »
My college just got smart the other day.  :)
They decided to ban browser access to zip & exe files.

So, I decided to use a d/l manager instead, and bingo it worked.

Unfortunately, the following day, the managed to block access even if I used a d/l manager as well.

They even banned ftp & IRC access.

Strangely, I can connect to ICQ but only through port 23.

Anyone know of any solutions?

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 2001-05-24 13:30:00 »
bummer dude, You can try tunneling through an open port but that will reqire a proxie on the other side. Meaining you grab a linux box with all the ports open and hook that up to the internet. Then play musical ports. Telnet into that box (port 23) and d/l what you need. Then push the FTP deamon to port 23 and log in using an ftp program on that port on the linux box's address.

With our "family filter" we block all ports execpt 25 (SMTP) 110 (POP) and place a filter on 80 (HTTP) that only will accept data from the filter computer. You can create your own proxie and go around the proxie we have. That's one of the downfalls of using a proxie filter.

jeez, I'm just *full* of useless info. Most likely they blocked all access execpt for port 23 and 80 and probably use some other meathod for accessing printers. (Our network uses banyon, not TCP/IP for printer sharing) Because I go to a privite cathloic collage, we are not mandated by the state to put a filter on our network (we are not funded by the fed) It's funny to think that you have to go to a cathloic school to get unrestricted and unfiltered internet access.

[This message has been edited by halkun (edited May 24, 2001).]

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2001-05-24 14:12:00 »
Yeah our college have them blocked aswell. But there is a way of getting round it like all things.

Go to http://www.safeweb.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.safeweb.com  and put in the full URL of the .zip file in there. If Safeweb is blocked then go to http://www.subdimension.com/nettools/anonymizit/index.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.subdimension.com/nettools/anonymizit/index.shtml  and use that as a spring-board to get to Safeweb.

I just found a sneaky way to access blocked Sites on our network without using Safeweb. You go to Google and type in the Site that is blocked. When you find that site in the search results you click on the "Cached" button just below the main link. Hey Presto.... you get access!  :)

Ant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2001-05-24 22:35:00 »
Yeah, I used to use subdimension till it got banned as well :-{

IDZAP.com is good also.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2001-05-25 14:10:00 »
Thanks!
Problem solved  :)

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2001-05-25 15:13:00 »
I know that this has nothing to do with this topic, but, SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THIS WEEK, I HAD MY EXAM AND IT WAS DAMN EASY!!!! Whoo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2001-05-25 17:57:00 »
What was it in?

I've just done my AS Computing exam and it was sweet :-D !

[This message has been edited by Ant (edited May 25, 2001).]

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2001-05-25 19:27:00 »
I have GCSE mocks coming up, i reckon i'll do alright apart from french where im gonna fail. Why do they make us do french, im never going to go to france.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2001-05-25 23:03:00 »
MOT you in year 10? I'm havin gmy real Gcses in a couple of weeks. If you are in year 10 dont screw up. Importants year. And what ever you do DONT let corse work pile up alright? I really screwed up in that divsion.

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2001-05-26 01:39:00 »
Hey I just done my AS Computing exam. It was also sweet! What exam board were you doing? I did Edexell!

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2001-05-26 15:19:00 »
Yeah I'm in year 10 and yesterday I had to hand in geography coursework which I did the night before, I let it pile up, but all the other coursework Ive done I didnt pile up it was just our teacher didnt really explain to us what we were supposed to be doing until a week b4.

Ant

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2001-05-26 18:43:00 »
I did AQA

Did you have to do a project for it?

I did, but it had to be a databse in Access which was pretty boring to say the least.

[This message has been edited by Ant (edited May 26, 2001).]

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 2001-05-26 18:59:00 »
I did A-Level computing with AQA and the coursework in that was great ... a programming project on whatever you wanted in any language. (It could be a database, but didn't have to be).

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2001-05-26 21:46:00 »
yesterday i hadd a spelin tesht and i did no do to good.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2001-05-27 02:35:00 »
I ez allwaeys pasin mi speeeelin teasts 10000percet oll da waey.

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2001-05-27 13:49:00 »
Ah AQA... I did have to do a project similar to yours Ant but I did a Library Database and I incorporated VBA into it. I was the only person in my college to get 100%  :) SWEET!!!

Ant

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2001-05-27 16:50:00 »
Nice one, can I have a look?

Ours are sent away to be marked by the examining board as we have to do a question paper on it, so I dunno if we'll ever find out our marks.

Yeah VBA's damn useful, IMHO thats what makes the Office Suite the best out there :-D

Fice:

Yeah, but now they've changed the style of A levels this year and for the AS project it was a set task with certain requirements to meet, but next year for A2 you can do whatever you want as a project which is great.

[This message has been edited by Ant (edited May 27, 2001).]

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2001-05-28 01:30:00 »
I was told that this year we had to do a database system as our project and then next year incorporate VB into it. So I did my database in Access and then the Borowing / Returning of books and calculating fines was quite complicated to do by just using Queries so I used VBA. So I have already incorporated VBA into my project so next year Im buggered.

As for wanting to see my project? Well the word documents is 1 meg and the database is about 1 meg as well!

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2001-05-28 02:30:00 »
Ant: Oh yeah, forget about that. I'm glad I got through before the system changed.

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2001-05-29 20:36:00 »
I like this new system. Everything is in modules and you take the exams throughout the year so you do not have to revise every single bloody topic in the last term. I have decided that I am going to drop chemistry at the end of this year which is another thing you couldnt have done with the old A-Levels as you would come out of the course with nothing. Where at least I will get an AS level grade.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2001-05-30 02:00:00 »
True, you get more flexibility. (Though you could do modular levels with the old system, drop one subject and take an AS after a year; if your college offered it, of course). But either you end up doing more work, or the exams get easier (=worth less).