Author Topic: (PSX) FF7 - Creating custom AKAO data (music/sound)?  (Read 6638 times)

Lazy Bastard

• I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
There's a good deal of documentation concerning AKAO data on the wiki and in a few threads here on the forums, and QGears contains an AKAO decoder/player of sorts, but has anyone successfully imported new AKAO data? I realize we'd be somewhat constrained by instrument limitations (INSTRx.DAT/INSTRx.ALL - although we could probably edit those as well), but it would still be interesting to generate new music and sounds, even if they started primitively and we improved the process later. Makou Reactor now has the ability to import/export AKAO data into \FIELD\*.DAT files, but the AKAO data still has to already exist in the proper format, in some other DAT at least.

I've considered a workaround for adding music to the PSX version, by creating a transparent FMV with a music track, and looping it while allowing normal field activity to continue (that could fairly easily be accomplished via Makou Reactor), but that's a pretty hacky workaround, and it might get size-intensive with several new tracks (not to mention resource-intensive, probably). I'd be much more interested in a way to properly generate AKAO tracks.

Any ideas? Or, has anyone done this before?

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2013-04-05 03:08:17 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 07:54:56 by Jenova's Witness »

Lazy Bastard

• View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
Re: (PSX) FF7 - Creating custom AKAO data (music/sound)?
« Reply #2 on: 2013-04-08 12:44:02 »
Interesting stuff. Does FFT also use AKAO strings, or is it just something similar?

Zande

• 友情は武器よりも強し
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-11 12:32:27 »
Nope, FFT doesn't becuase the sound wasn't programmed by Minoru Akao, but by Hidenori Suzuki.

Lazy Bastard

• View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-11 15:47:26 »
So you're sure the data isn't in the same format, or you're just sure that the person in charge of music was Hidenori Suzuki? I just want to be clear on that, since it's not out of the question that Square continued to use the same format even with another person performing the work...

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-04-11 19:23:10 »
In that linked thread, pokeytax refers to FFT's music format as SMD. The FFhacktics' article on SMD says they begin with the string "smds". They aren't AKAO frames.

Lazy Bastard

• View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-11 19:50:15 »
Ah; thanks.

Incidentally, it looks like they're fairly similar:

AKAO - http://wiki.qhimm.com/view/FF7/PSX/Sound/AKAO_frames
SMD - http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Music/SMD

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 2013-04-12 00:04:20 »
SMD are the audio files that were used from the Psy-Q game library. If I remember right they are the digital sample counterparts to an SEQ file, which is like a MIDI. So it's like a sondfont or a digital sample.