Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 Issue  (Read 15338 times)

Rin Grey

Final Fantasy 7 Issue
« on: 2008-06-07 18:56:36 »
Hello,

Like many others have posted when I launch final fantasy 7 I get a black screen, I hear the background Eidos video launch music but there is no video and my PC locks up. I'm using my legit copy I bought many years ago and I had no major issues when I used my Radeon 9600XT and then my X850Pro so I am assuming it is something to do with my new graphics card.

Now, I am running the 1.02 patch, the chocobo patch, the upside down video patch and this has not corrected the problems. I have also installed direct show off the CD and still the problem is not resolved.

My system is the following:

Windows XP 2nd Ed.
Nvidia 8800GTS
AMD 6400+ 64 Bit CPU
2GB Corsair Ram
ASUS M2N-MX SE nVidia Chipset
I have on board sound using Realtek audio drivers

I am running the Kazaa Lite Mega Codec Pack I have read on these forums that there is a way to fix the problem by editing codecs but I have as of yet been unable to find the relevant post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :-)
« Last Edit: 2008-06-07 19:09:19 by Rin Grey »

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Re: Final Fantasy Issue
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-07 19:09:40 »
Disable TrueMotion2 support in ffdshow config and disable the AVI splitter (Gabest) - the latter one will give you a freeze at CosmoCanyon if not disabled.

Rin Grey

Re: Final Fantasy 7 Issue
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-07 19:13:39 »
Sorry to sound nubish but how exactly do I do this?

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-08 06:01:52 »
Find the ffdshow video config, scroll down to truemotion2 , and select disable.

Uninstalling K-Lite is easier, though. Install Combined Community Codec Pack instead -- ff7 works fine with it.

Rin Grey

« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-08 09:23:34 »
Thanks guys I got it working much appreciated!  :-)

venucci

« Reply #5 on: 2008-06-09 09:49:52 »
Hello,
I got Combined Community Codec Pack installed and disabled truemotion2, I couldn't find AVI splitter (Gabest).
Everytime I try to start a new game the intro movie crashes at the end and my pc is totally stuck. So practictly I can't play the game at all :(
Can anyone help me with this?

Greetz Venucci

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-06-09 11:21:23 »
UNINSTALL K-lite. disabling truemotion2 did nothing for me as that is not what is messing your videos up. It's the other stuff in K-lite.
Just uninstall it. CCC has everything you need and doesn't frack with ffvii.

venucci

« Reply #7 on: 2008-06-09 12:03:24 »
Thnx for your fast reply,
I never used K-lite as far as I know(Can't find it in installed programs list), I only installed CCC for codecs and disabled truemotion 2.
With CCC the intro movie still crashes :(

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-06-09 15:43:23 »
You may need to install a standalone truemotion codec. Search around google for DUCK truemotion 2.0 or something similar.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #9 on: 2008-06-09 16:00:26 »
Everytime I try to start a new game the intro movie crashes at the end and my pc is totally stuck.
So, what exactly happens? Does it crash, hang or what?

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-06-09 18:53:54 »
It's STUCK, dziugo. Can'tcha read? :P

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-06-09 18:57:44 »
No, he used words "crash" and "stuck". In one sentence. Doesn't make much sense, does it? If it crashes, then it crashes, exit to Windows or whatever. If it's stuck, it means that it hangs, right? Can't see how it could be combined into one state.

Edit: he, sorry.
« Last Edit: 2008-06-09 18:59:58 by dziugo »

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-06-09 19:06:10 »
Maybe he means teh game crashes to Windows, and it hangs, as in the Explorer.exe is gone?

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008-06-09 19:08:35 »
Not a mind reader.

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008-06-09 19:13:19 »
Meh, just a suggestion, if he doesn't point specifics, I can only guess.  Not gonna give lots of explanations for every posiblle hang up.

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008-06-09 19:14:56 »
I was kidding, dz. relax.

To the OP, mess around with the game. Change compatibility settings, reinstall it, and uninstall video codecs (and install CCCP) and see if you can kickstart it.

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008-06-09 19:23:31 »
As a side note, CCCP is not required to make the FMVs work - the only thing you need to do is uninstall the current codec pack (if you can't configure it) and install DirectShow filter from FF7 InstallCD. That's it. Telling everyone to uninstall k-lite and install CCCP you're acting like that guy who got his problem fixed by reinstalling YAMAHA synth. and thinking that it was "the answer to all your problems".

Edit:
I was kidding, dz. relax.
And you were not kidding.

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008-06-10 03:23:58 »
I'm telling them to install CCCP because, without K-lite, they won't be able to play most movies for their own personal enjoyment. I'm just trying to help out, and I've clarified this already.

And yes, I was joking. When someone says "my computer is stuck", it obviously means nothing in technical terms, which makes using such information funny during a diagnosis.
No reason to get offended now that I've told you twice that I was simply kidding. God forbid if I was actually being serious.

venucci

« Reply #18 on: 2008-06-10 07:11:18 »
Sorry about the confusion,
The Intro movie hangs at the end when showing "Final Fantasy 7". With hanging I mean I can't do anything but restart my pc by hitting the reset button.
I did installed directshow from the CD and I also tryed, tryed patch 1.02, upside down patch etc.
I read a lot of forums trying to fix this but none worked, hope you guys can help me out  :-)

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008-06-10 11:20:47 »
This thing first:
I'm telling them to install CCCP because, without K-lite, they won't be able to play most movies for their own personal enjoyment. I'm just trying to help out, and I've clarified this already.
And I'm telling you that it's not required to install CCCP. Once you got the FMVs to work, you can install that kLite Codec Pack which you hate so much (for whatever reason), and nothing will happen. It was the solution I've been posting for few years already and I can't really remember anyone complain. Once people figured out that it was due to ffdshow, the solution changed. Then it changed again when the AVI splitter issue was discovered, but basically in your solution of:
 - Uninstall klite
 - Get your FMVs to work by installing filter from InstallCD
 - Install CCCP so you regain the possibility to watch "normal" movies
You can easily replace those 4 letters you advertise so much with "kLite" and you'd get the same result.

And yes, I was joking. When someone says "my computer is stuck", it obviously means nothing in technical terms, which makes using such information funny during a diagnosis.
No reason to get offended now that I've told you twice that I was simply kidding. God forbid if I was actually being serious.
How often do you make fun of people who don't KNOW you and then act like "geez, man relax" "just kidding, chill" and don't even call them with their full name? Oh, and then you post in other thread "I'm the Mother Teresa of this board and somehow people are aggressive against me". Know what I mean?

On the other hand, I gotta apologize to you, it was really not directed at you - if I got the nick right the first time, I wouldn't bother to post (you can see the edit, I missed the nick and thought that it was venucci posting), you just somehow managed to get it redirected. And kudos to you for typing my nick correctly. The first time.

Sorry about the confusion,
The Intro movie hangs at the end when showing "Final Fantasy 7". With hanging I mean I can't do anything but restart my pc by hitting the reset button.
I did installed directshow from the CD and I also tryed, tryed patch 1.02, upside down patch etc.
I read a lot of forums trying to fix this but none worked, hope you guys can help me out  :-)
Probably nothing wrong with codecs if you see the FMVs in game. Some information would be useful now:
 - The edition of your FF7 (like platinum etc.)
 - Size of your "opening.avi" movie (in bytes) - it should be on CD1 in "ff7\movies" directory
 - Length of the mentioned movie (in seconds, minutes:seconds, doesn't matter) - just open it with any player and write it down

venucci

« Reply #20 on: 2008-06-10 14:25:00 »
Here the things you asked for:

- The edition of your FF7 (like platinum etc.)
I play the normal version of FF7, my friend burned it for me from the original cd's.

- Size of your "opening.avi" movie (in bytes) - it should be on CD1 in "ff7\movies" directory
25,3 MB (26.596.308 bytes)

- Length of the mentioned movie (in seconds, minutes:seconds, doesn't matter) - just open it with any player and write it down
1:59
But I think the file is corrupted or the cd is dirty (I cleaned it and still don't work) at 1:28 it gives an error when I play the file from the cd with windows media player, I can't watch the movie any further then 1:28 while the movie should be 1:59.

So most likely the problem is with the movies on the cd, hope you can help me from this point  :-D
« Last Edit: 2008-06-10 14:29:27 by venucci »

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008-06-10 14:29:27 »
Well, try with the original disc then.

Edit: Ah, whatever. You can also copy the movies to your HDD (link to the tutorial is in the FAQ) and replace the corrupted movie with some other one with similar length (number of frames actually). I'd still suggest getting an original disc though.

Edit2: Or use YAMP's Gypt to skip the intro.
« Last Edit: 2008-06-10 14:32:48 by dziugo »

venucci

« Reply #22 on: 2008-06-10 14:38:47 »
Well I can't get the original disc back because my friend moved :(

I'll read the FAQ story in a minute (about edit1), I rememberd there was a link there where you had to login to some site to see how that worked. So I couldn't read that before..
I cant find the map movies in my regedit it looks like this:

Edit2: Or use YAMP's Gypt to skip the intro.
How does this work, this look like the most easy solution if I can play the game normal then:)

« Last Edit: 2008-06-10 14:51:54 by venucci »

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008-06-10 14:52:30 »
1) Keys in registry sometimes have subkeys.
2) This board does have a "Search" button.

venucci

« Reply #24 on: 2008-06-10 15:14:44 »
Yeah sorry I got a little to excited, I'll do some search work then :)

Already thnx for your help, now I know what is the problem, only the fixing left.

Oke I just found a save game at the first save game in the game and now I can play again everything works like a charm!!!

« Last Edit: 2008-06-10 16:47:26 by venucci »