Author Topic: [FF8PC-STEAM] Forcing a character to wear a certain costume, is it possible?  (Read 13265 times)

curseknight

• View Profile
Hello there guys!

My intention is to, on the Steam PC version of Final Fantasy 8, enforce a particular character model at any time during the game. A practical example would be Selphie appearing in the game with the Uniform model or SeeD uniform model instead of the casual one. This is partially achieved via Hyne, but that only changes Selphie into her Uniform model during battles, and not the model used in the map.

I also tried replacing the casual modded textures with the uniform textures, but only achieved a glitch. The character model itself appears similar, so wouldn't a plain texture replacement achieve the result? Would it be possible to edit the Selphie uniform textures so that it is rendered correctly as a replacement for the casual textures?

Cheers.

Shard

• View Profile
I can tell you the reason that simply changing the flag on your save state didn't work. The characters's alternate outfits are completely different characters in the game scripts. They don't share the same event logic, and they don't appear in every area.

curseknight

• View Profile
I can tell you the reason that simply changing the flag on your save state didn't work. The characters's alternate outfits are completely different characters in the game scripts. They don't share the same event logic, and they don't appear in every area.

I noticed that there is a battle version for both casual and uniform models and a map version for both casual and uniform models. Enforcing the texture using tonberry causes the uniform to display incorrectly (eyes near the arms and skirt textures on the head, it's weird!). Is the "casual outfit" model for the characters the "alternate model"? Or it's the contrary?

The problem here is model related, as long as I can't entirely force the game to use a model, I can't do much. Isn't there a way to simply unpack/repack the file containing the model itself, replacing with the other model file?! Even if one can't open or edit said model file, replacing one file with the other should work, wouldn't it?

Thanks

curseknight

• View Profile

Experimenting here, added a back zipper to Selphie's casual texture, it's easy :P

Would be possible to at least ADAPT the uniform textures to fit the casual model, but wouldn't look the same however. I wish for some way to replace the entire model with the other one!  :-P

Shunsq

• 20 years to mod a game, that's insanely long
    • View Profile
To exchange game models follow this tutorial:http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15668.50
See reply#72 by myself.

curseknight

• View Profile
To exchange game models follow this tutorial:http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15668.50
See reply#72 by myself.

Thanks, I had searched about this a lot but missed your reply. Will be trying this!

Would you by any chance have that hello kitty Selphie retexture to reupload? (original link is broken)

curseknight

• View Profile
Worked as a charm, I successfully replaced the model. However I didn't get the HD texture replacement, how do I fix that?

curseknight

• View Profile
On some maps Selphie shows with the replaced model, and with the replaced texture, on others she shows with the replaced model but with the vanilla texture. Do I need to generate new hashes?

Thanks

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
On some maps Selphie shows with the replaced model, and with the replaced texture, on others she shows with the replaced model but with the vanilla texture. Do I need to generate new hashes?

Thanks

Probably so. I never swapped models when hashing. Not sure if it'll cause any sort of unknown glitches or not with different models. But, hey, let me know how it goes.

Shunsq

• View Profile
Don't forget that in some areas it is the highpoly model that is shown(in the infirmary for example).So even if you replace the lowpoly model with the uniform ,the highpoly will remain the same with old selphie texture.
I don't see any reason why the uniform texture won't be matched.

curseknight

• View Profile
It might be something like that. In that case I would have to replace the highpoly model, however the only highpoly .MCH files Selphie has are the casual battle model d028 and her SeeD uniform d030.

To be specific, I'm replacing model d027 (selphie lowpoly casual) with a copy of model d029 (selphie lowpoly uniform)

My understanding is that outside of battles she should always appear as a lowpoly model, but for some reason, there are hashes missing. How do I get those hashes? I could never find the original textures within the game, only dump them with tonberry, is that the correct procedure?

Thanks

curseknight

• View Profile
The Rebirth Flame mod does not include objmap entries, just hashmap, should I really take add objmap entries?
And how exactly do I get the texture I should hash? By dumping via tonberry?

Please someone shed some light into this matter :3

Shunsq

• View Profile
Curseknight: Look into the Berrymapper or tonberry thread to have clues on how to do what you want.

curseknight

• View Profile
Believe me, I did look everywhere, opening a thread was my last choice. There are no instructions mentioning specifically what files should be hashed. I found instructions about unpacking the game's files with some applications - Unmass, Garden and PuPu but all of them either did not work or did not provide me with the original textures for the character models (which I assume are the ones to be hashed). Using Deling I could view and extract many files of the game, but there is no character texture folder within the unpacked archives. I've found everything, even the model files, except the textures they use.

I believe that the original textures to be replaced by tonberry via hashing are contained in the model files (MCH), but I don't know how I would separate the texture from the model, so that I could hash it. Hashing the entire model file does not work.

This is simply lack of a very specific knowledge that I need in order to get the hashing done, once I know how to obtain the correct files for hashing, the rest is simple. Shunsq, you developed berrymapper, so wouldn't you know where to get the files that go to the INPUT folder to be hashed and replaced?
« Last Edit: 2016-03-27 01:07:47 by curseknight »

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Believe me, I did look everywhere, opening a thread was my last choice. There are no instructions mentioning specifically what files should be hashed. I found instructions about unpacking the game's files with some applications - Unmass, Garden and PuPu but all of them either did not work or did not provide me with the original textures for the character models (which I assume are the ones to be hashed). Using Deling I could view and extract many files of the game, but there is no character texture folder within the unpacked archives. I've found everything, even the model files, except the textures they use.

I believe that the original textures to be replaced by tonberry via hashing are contained in the model files (MCH), but I don't know how I would separate the texture from the model, so that I could hash it. Hashing the entire model file does not work.

This is simply lack of a very specific knowledge that I need in order to get the hashing done, once I know how to obtain the correct files for hashing, the rest is simple. Shunsq, you developed berrymapper, so wouldn't you know where to get the files that go to the INPUT folder to be hashed and replaced?

To dump files with Tonberry, you have to turn debug on in the "prefs".txt. Then rename the "debug0" folder to "debug" and textures will go there. Then play the game and go to the area where the textures are vanilla. You should be able to find the ones you're looking for. Then run those textures through BerryMapper. I don't know how they'll be with replaced models, though. I generally recommend using the hashcodes rather than objmap ones because it yields less glitches. But just know that there can be a lot codes/textures depending on the area and whichever NPC is there as well.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-27 02:26:28 by FatedCourage »

Shunsq

• View Profile
Curseknight:I didn't give you any hints because i don't know how does works the latest release of tonberry. I developped Berrymapper for the first release of Tonberry, which didn't manage the hashmaps the same way. We used to have only objmap.csv for characters, and hash1map.csv for everything else.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Curseknight:I didn't give you any hints because i don't know how does works the latest release of tonberry. I developped Berrymapper for the first release of Tonberry, which didn't manage the hashmaps the same way. We used to have only objmap.csv for characters, and hash1map.csv for everything else.

As far as I know, Tonberry 2.04 kept Omzy's original hashing method that you based BerryMapper off of. So it all still works the same in that regard. Everything just runs smoother and less game breaking bugs(along with a few new features). But the next release will most likely have how everything is hashed changed. But I haven't a clue when that release will happen.