Author Topic: Q-Gears v0.21 Run Wild  (Read 26016 times)

fishinsoup

• View Profile
Re: Q-Gears v0.21 Run Wild
« Reply #25 on: 2012-11-02 18:21:32 »
It's nice that things are going along so well. I've recently just discovered this project.

Just how far along are you, if I can ask? With 0.21 I suppose it's 21% complete?

From other posts I found on this forum I assume you will be able to create your own 3D FF type game. Nice.
« Last Edit: 2012-11-04 12:29:44 by fishinsoup »

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2012-11-04 09:44:46 »
I was asking myself, too but i didn't wanna bump this thread.  :lol:

fishinsoup

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2012-11-04 12:33:22 »
Well, last post was last month, and this is the last thread, so my little bumping is justifiable.

And I am suprised that only one person is working on this project ( I assume that only one ). If miracle happens and this project will get all of it's goal's accomplished, there is a possibility of a real FFVII sequel (hopefully, without the emo-ish char design of Advent Children).

At least Akari said that it could be possible if project will be completed (since he wants to make his own RPG with this engine).

Also, I like that graphics will be reminiscent of old PS1 RPG games.

Can't believe only one man is working on this. How is it possible that no one else is interested in this?
« Last Edit: 2012-11-04 12:48:49 by fishinsoup »

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2012-11-06 08:52:38 »
[...] If miracle happens and this project will get all of it's goal's accomplished, there is a possibility of a real FFVII sequel (hopefully, without the emo-ish char design of Advent Children).

At least Akari said that it could be possible if project will be completed (since he wants to make his own RPG with this engine).
[...]

Oh yes, with all the environments in actual 3D, that would make my life complete.  :mrgreen:

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2012-11-06 17:37:12 »
Oh yes, with all the environments in actual 3D, that would make my life complete.  :mrgreen:

That would require a complete remake of the game, since the backgrounds for Final Fantasy VII are all static images, very likely created and\or painted my a human and not rendered on a computer in the most part.
Also, from my understanding, the objective of this project is to later also allow it to be compatible with games built with the same or slightly modified engine for the PSOne, like Xenogears and Parasite Eve.

Regarding the other question, no 0.21 does not mean it's 21% complete in any way. The only think it transmits is that it's not complete. Heck he might even decide to call next version 0.21.8. :D

Around 7 weeks ago, there were some new submissions to the project related to the battle system, however, I don't think it would be enough for a new release (plus that was what got submitted, he might have more work done that he's saving to himself ;P), and I can't really compile to check.
It is truly a shame that only Akari is working on it, he has a lot of hard work to do still, even tho the initially barrier of creating a working partially demo has already been taken care of, plus the FF7 engine wasn't 100% exposed yet (But it's slowly getting there :D).
« Last Edit: 2012-11-06 17:43:08 by InuRa »

fishinsoup

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2012-11-06 23:08:01 »
This thread kind of answers about original game creation, where Akari also says he is planning to make his own JRPG.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8651.0

Good luck on your task.

P.S. I may know a few talented people who would help, only they live in Japan, and they made this obscure (but awesome) FFVII modification on a PSOne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxAJDoCLxs0

Also they had this pretty cool Net Yaroze 3D action adventure game.

Probably these guys are in their late 20s/early 30s, but who knows, if we ever get in touch with them, they could help Akari, because this fan modification/expansion/whatever was made in 90s for Net Yaroze. Pretty impressive PSone hacking even for today.

Square Enix should make a rival for RPGMaker, based on FFVII engine. They are not doing so well recently, and something like that would surely gain them some lost respect points. Another advantage would be the use of 3d graphics (I think that RPGMaker had a pretty sh*tty version on PS2 (lol) with 3d graphics), so that would already be a huge plus.

But probably something cool as this would be too much to ask from modern Square.

« Last Edit: 2012-11-06 23:21:29 by fishinsoup »

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2012-11-08 16:11:05 »
That would require a complete remake of the game, since the backgrounds for Final Fantasy VII are all static images, very likely created and\or painted my a human and not rendered on a computer in the most part.
I think the backgrounds were created in 3D and then rendered to 2D images by the look of it. As far as new backgrounds are concerned, the people from 'Team Avalanche' are  rebuilding some scenes in 3D at the moment. I don't think that you need to completely remake the game in order to have 3D backgrounds. Once Q-Gears is in a state where the game is finishable, you could apply most of the old scripts to the 3D backgrounds, and the battle scenes are in 3D already, so that's just a matter of graphics enhancement.
« Last Edit: 2012-11-08 16:12:53 by Fischkopf »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2012-11-09 20:29:45 »
As a newbie modeller from Team Avalanche, my feeling is that the originals were, for the most part, not 2D renders of 3d models. My judgement is mostly based on the fact that, when you try to remodel a scene (and we can have direct input regarding walkmesh and camera location), there are always some elements whose perspective is wrong, or have misalignment. These "errors" can hardly be noticed until you make actual 3d representations of them, but there you have it.
Now, as in Team Avalanche we do make 3d environments to make 2d renders, such work can be later re-used within the scope of a remake, in my opinion. However, some scenes may need revision, as I do know that some modellers did the texturing by "applying textures from view", which works when there's only one still image, but is completely wrong if the camera is moved around.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2012-11-09 20:44:15 »
As a newbie modeller from Team Avalanche, my feeling is that the originals were, for the most part, not 2D renders of 3d models. My judgement is mostly based on the fact that, when you try to remodel a scene (and we can have direct input regarding walkmesh and camera location), there are always some elements whose perspective is wrong, or have misalignment. These "errors" can hardly be noticed until you make actual 3d representations of them, but there you have it.
Now, as in Team Avalanche we do make 3d environments to make 2d renders, such work can be later re-used within the scope of a remake, in my opinion. However, some scenes may need revision, as I do know that some modellers did the texturing by "applying textures from view", which works when there's only one still image, but is completely wrong if the camera is moved around.
I must disagree with that. Most scenes are rendered as 3d models.
see this at about 30sec.
apart from that:
interview with Nomura
Quote from: Tetsuya Nomura
Nomura: I originally handled the pixel graphics, so I thought that if there were no pixels then my work would be gone (laughs). Later I took some training to learn CG, but I went into design and direction rather than working as a modeller.
More evidence can be found in the field-files in ways of reflections, light and shadows.
But that's just my opinion of course.... :roll:

Quote from: Mayo Master
...I do know that some modellers did the texturing by "applying textures from view"

who is?
 8)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2012-11-10 03:57:00 »
I must disagree with that. Most scenes are rendered as 3d models.
see this at about 30sec.
apart from that:
interview with NomuraMore evidence can be found in the field-files in ways of reflections, light and shadows.
But that's just my opinion of course.... :roll:
I don't deny it's true for a bunch of scenes, I'm just not sure it's the majority. One other aspect of my opinion is about the amount of work that would represent, in comparison to the scope of more modern Final Fantasys. For instance, it seems to me like Final Fantasy X is quite smaller than the ones of the PSOne era, which much fewer environments both in quantity and diversity, and I think it took 3 years to make. If all environments of FFVII were each modelled in 3d, I don't know if such staggering amount of work could have been actually done in the same development time. But, eh, I may be wrong  :-P
who is?
 8)
Anaho mentioned that, admitting it was not good practice, but that it was really speeding up the process. Or at least that's what I understood.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2012-11-12 16:01:27 »
Akari,

I sadly have no coding experience so i probably can't help with this project, But is there anything that can be done on the bugtesting side of things to lighten your load at all? I'd love to see this project come to light faster.