Author Topic: [In Development] FF7 Voiceover Project  (Read 20026 times)

Shard

• View Profile
[In Development] FF7 Voiceover Project
« on: 2014-09-01 21:10:38 »
Final Fantasy VII was released in 1997. Games on CD-ROMs can only store a relatively small amount of media by today's standards. Alas, in-game voiceovers at the end of the last millennium were rare, and for some games, impossible.

Ficedula has created a tool called Ultrasound that watches FF7 as it's running and responds to certain in-game events. In particular, it responds to dialogue boxes by playing a sound file from a folder on your computer. This tool is our road to a finished voiceover mod, all we need is the voices. That's where Aussieroth myself, and the wonderful VA community come in.

We have finished our initial cast list, and we are pretty happy with it. Everyone involved in the project is super excited about doing this, including us. We will be releasing the project in separate packs, with the first pack being the largest one - it will contain all of the game's mandatory dialogue (dialogue that you must view to get to the end of the game). Future packs will contain voice dialogue covering the game's optional areas and side quests.

We will be using a modified version of the "Beacause" re-translation from DLPB's Reunion project. Their translation is a more direct from-Japanese translation with intact meanings. No more "Here I am, Miss Yuffie."

Without further ado, here is the current cast list. We were primarily concerned with the major and recurring characters. Minor NPCs will be cast as needed.

CAST LIST
Cloud Strife - Justin Cabanting
Tifa Lockhart - Haylizabeth
Barret Wallace - Jeff Strange
Aerith Gainsborough - Nicole Mac Arthur
Red XIII / Nanaki - Anath Jackson III
Yuffie Kisaragi - Heidi Tabing
Cait Sith - Lee Koivunen
Vincent Valentine - River Kanoff
Cid Highwind - True Blue

Zack Fair - Cody McCulloch
Biggs -
Wedge -
Jessie -
Elmyra / Cloud's Mother - Ashley Rochelau
President Shinra - Jon Bailey
Don Corneo - Mike Bower
Reno - Loose Cannon
Rude - DrakeKid
Elena - Adrienne Cox
Tseng - Ryusuke
Hojo - Mike Varker
Bugenhagen -
Reeve - Steven Kelly
Scarlet - Jen McGregor
Palmer - Russel Fetzer
Heidegger - Mike Bower
Rufus Shinra - Mike Quarrato
Sephiroth - David J.G. Doyle
Dyne -
Ester -
Sierra - Roxi Taylor
Lucrecia - Sheila M. Gagne

A few of these are blank because we are waiting for people we contacted to get back to us to see if they are interested in the project. We already have backup casts if any or all of those people decline, we just don't want to announce them at this time.

I will be updating this thread with teasers and demos as we release them.

Videos
Ultrasound tech demo + teaser
« Last Edit: 2016-10-02 23:49:13 by Shard »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: [Auditions Open] FF7 Voiceover Project
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-02 02:50:20 »
Cool cool. I'm mostly just interested in Reno, but I'm gonna go ahead and audition for every male character because why not. Gon' try and get as many done tonight as I can.

edit: I went ahead and auditioned for a bunch of main characters on BTVA. Intentionally omitted Red XII because I wasn't satisfied with my voice for him, and Cait Sith because I can't manage the accent (will be QUITE important with the retranslation).

I also recorded a reel for the other major characters from the lines you gave on VAA (too big a file for BTVA), omitting Zack because I couldn't come close to connecting with him. I emailed it to you since I don't have a VAA account and you don't seem to be accepting auditions here, but if anyone else is interested, they can be found here. (Reno, which I've talked up for years ever since last time there was gonna be a dub, starts at 1:29)
« Last Edit: 2014-09-02 05:19:37 by Covarr »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-02 19:25:01 »
Can I submit auditions for multiple characters in one email or should they be separate?

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-02 19:55:25 »
im willing to help w/ some random npcs do you have some sample lines for us to do or should we just say whatever?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-02 20:36:05 »
I could do some NPCs. I'm not a professional voice actor but I can do some things, so I could give it a try.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-02 22:41:23 »
Can I submit auditions for multiple characters in one email or should they be separate?
You can send everything in a single email.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-09-08 04:16:15 »
Management update: We need a little help cataloging the dialogue chronologically (currently they're only organized by area). Details are in the original post. PM me if you're interested.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [In Development] FF7 Voiceover Project
« Reply #7 on: 2015-02-03 19:38:03 »
Are you still using Beacause?  If so, I strongly suggest waiting a few more days for the R02 release. 

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-02-03 20:01:29 »
Are you still using Beacause?  If so, I strongly suggest waiting a few more days for the R02 release. 
We've already extracted and formatted our script (we wanted it in chronological scene order), so if we wait for the next release, we'd have to play through the whole game again and do all the formatting again. The last translation I got from Kaldarasha (which I understand is pretty close to what's in R02) is more than enough for us to work from.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-02-03 20:20:35 »
Well, I certainly wouldn't say it is "close enough" to R02... it has numerous errors that were ironed out and parts were redone.  It will be better than the original game, though. 
« Last Edit: 2015-02-03 20:22:52 by DLPB »

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2015-02-05 05:23:33 »
I strongly suggest that you guys use Because R02's translation because, as DLPB here says, it's going to be pretty different since  a number of lines changed.

It's annoying that you have to do again the formatting and play thorough the game but please consider you won't want to regret doing this when a better translation is out.

Couldn't Dan here just provide the translation for the changed lines to save time and work?
« Last Edit: 2015-02-05 05:25:53 by Salk »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2015-02-05 07:55:14 »

Couldn't Dan here just provide the translation for the changed lines to save time and work?

Not really... the changes amount to the thousands...  Covarr's checks alone amount to hundreds.  There are so many.  But since there is now a method for what this project wants, the second time round shouldn't be as difficult.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2015-02-05 08:16:21 »
I'll have a copy of R02 to reference during recording sessions. Going from the touphscript text files to our format is very difficult, but going from our format back to touphscript is easy because we have every line's area name and text number already documented in our files.

Tobe_Continued

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2015-04-09 17:12:35 »
Can we having more information of the avancement of project ?

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2015-04-09 20:28:51 »
We've just started recording with the actors. We don't have anything to show yet.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2015-04-09 20:53:09 »
If you need voices for useless NPC's shoot me a PM, i don't have time now, But down the road I'm sure i can commit a few lines here and there, Just for extra flair!

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2015-04-09 20:59:17 »
Count me in on that one, too. Must be fun voicing pretty much anyone at wallmarket, they all talking complete nonsense there xD

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2015-04-09 22:20:52 »
If you need voices for useless NPC's shoot me a PM

Same here, if you'd like a little Scottish flavour just holler at your boy.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2015-12-08 23:29:15 »
First demo of Ultrasound with voices: https://youtu.be/t4IQIypsXkM
« Last Edit: 2015-12-11 23:02:21 by Shard »

finalfantasyfan7

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2016-01-07 22:02:46 »
I've just heard of this project, and I'm happy to go with Dyne if you don't have anyone else for the job.

When I looked at your thread on another forum, I didn't find any lines to go off with Dyne. Is there anything you'd have me say?

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2016-01-10 17:38:49 »
I've just heard of this project, and I'm happy to go with Dyne if you don't have anyone else for the job.

When I looked at your thread on another forum, I didn't find any lines to go off with Dyne. Is there anything you'd have me say?
Do you have a voice demo you can link us to? If not, you can send an audition to [email protected]

We want to see your range and acting talent. Record a few of the characters from the forum thread.

finalfantasyfan7

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2016-01-16 23:58:40 »
Do you have a voice demo you can link us to? If not, you can send an audition to [email protected]

We want to see your range and acting talent. Record a few of the characters from the forum thread.
Sweet. I'll get recording and I'll get that sent to you :)

Thanks.

Aussieroth

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2017-09-24 14:04:45 »
For those who are wondering, this is still in progress. We have made some great strides so far.

Tsuna

• Global moderator
  • Working together to create awesome things!
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #23 on: 2017-09-24 14:29:05 »
This is alive?
wow i had no idea lol. Ive actually started my own now