Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Project Blackfan (V0.35)  (Read 100923 times)

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP/REL] Project Blackfan
« Reply #100 on: 2011-05-01 00:55:12 »
This is one of the coolest projects I've seen since stumbling on this whole ff7pc mod community this past week. I am absolutely astounded at the quality you've produced and just the fact that these things can be done at all. Godspeed.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2011-05-02 19:23:57 »
thanks for the support, I appreciate the sentiment. I am happy to say that the next release will be of much higher quality because of how well the smoothing has gone so far. I just gotta get a decent PC in my possesion first  :o

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2011-05-08 19:16:18 »
Finally I have some good news to report. For the next week I will be able to work on this project again. The reason being because I am house sitting for a friend who is out of state and he has a really nice computer that he gave me permission to use for this project. I might not get a whole lot done today because I will may have to rewrite my actions which could take a while but I'll try and get as much as I can done starting tomorrow. I do have work to consider but other than that I should have plenty of time (I am already done with school for this semester)

Mrben

« Reply #103 on: 2011-05-23 20:23:12 »
I have to say this is one of the best mods iv seen i was actually hoping somebody would take up the huge task of sharpening all that horrible background.Keep up the great work and dont listen to the peeps that dont like it they must have some problems with thier eyes or somthing in my oppinin its 10x better than the original :)

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2011-05-24 06:20:13 »
I have to say this is one of the best mods iv seen i was actually hoping somebody would take up the huge task of sharpening all that horrible background.Keep up the great work and dont listen to the peeps that dont like it they must have some problems with thier eyes or somthing in my oppinin its 10x better than the original :)

Definitely check out SLs twin project: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11501.0

Idk what the deal is there, guys, but I think you two should team up once Yarlson has a compy. I really don't know how to say it to either of you but, I think your two styles would actually be best served by some sort of compromise. There are big time +s and -s to both of the sets but the results are absolutely astounding in both cases. To me, the background work that's contained here in Blackfan and sl's field enhancement mod are much heavier in impact to FF7 PC than the battle enhancements are. I would be inclined to donate some funds to keep this work going... Blackfan is somehow more cartoonish and sl's field enhancements are industrial and more "comic book" if you'll indulge me. Both styles have their place in FF7, obviously.

The effect is that I almost don't want to play the rest of the game with the awful backgrounds. In particular I want to see a rendition from either of you or both of the trip down the crater or whatever at the end of the game. I remember it being jaw dropping when I was young and in love with my PS1. I have not yet been to that part of the game again in some 15 years, and I don't want it to be a bad trip, you know?

Anyway, someone needs to buy Yarlson a computer or something.

Mrben

« Reply #105 on: 2011-05-24 06:42:26 »
I see looks like sl is doing some nice work too,i read a few other posts looks like they are working together as such ofcourse it would be crazy not to with such a big undertaking.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2011-05-24 17:17:43 »
well actually from what I understand sl1982 isn't really working on this at all anymore. Perhaps I am wrong thats just what I heard the last time i talked to him. In other news, I decided to take summer classes so I will have a finacial aid check coming in soon and there should be some spare change left, enough for me to finish saving for my computer, hopefully. If not I have a new job that pays much better than my previous work so either way it shouldn't be long before I can get back to work. As for combining styles, please note that I have changed my approach time and again to try and compromise with sl1982 so don't think I am being lazy, my final approach now uses a little bit of what he was doing as well as what I deem as best for the images. Also any kind of donation would be appreciated, and would definitely help me work faster. If you'd really like to make a small contribution please PM me.

kicker

• Hojo...what a queer fellow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2011-06-30 22:44:05 »
i've followed the instructions carefully and done almost everything. where is the mod_path=avalance? is it supposed to be inside the ff8_opengl (cfg file)??because i'm not sure and i don't want to mess it up :S
« Last Edit: 2011-06-30 22:48:12 by kicker »

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2011-07-01 05:31:10 »
kicker,

Your mod path should be the 19th line of ff7_opengl.cfg (not ff8).
You can set the mod path to whatever you like (for example, mod_path = Blackfan/) and this corresponds to a directory inside your %ff7%/mods/ directory
So if you set the mod_path = Blackfan/, you need to create a directory named Blackfan in %ff7%/mods/ and place your field directory inside of that.

Good luck  ;)

kicker

• Hojo...what a queer fellow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2011-07-01 09:56:19 »
Found my problem. Latest Aali driver was replaced from an older from the remix patch. Changed it to the latest and set the correct path. :) thnx for the help and keep up your good work :) maybe sometime i can help you with your work if you like :)
« Last Edit: 2011-07-01 10:05:37 by kicker »

philman

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2011-07-10 22:41:53 »
torrent stoped in 44% because don't have seeds,you really seeded this? :|

PS: i will not download this in megaupload or in parts in mediafire because my internet speed is horrible,of course i download the torrent because i can pause and continue later without any problems.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2011-07-13 19:10:09 »
There are several different links. Try the Google download, I host that one personally

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2011-07-30 15:29:16 »
Hey i dont have the Avalanche folder in my modpath for some reason even though i installed the graphical overhaul mod so do i just put it in mod folder there's nothing inside it

greenpeppers311

• I'm not cut out for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2011-08-20 11:37:45 »
Ooooh this is awesome. I hope you get the chance to keep working on this. The facepalmer stuff will tide me over for now though.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2011-08-20 14:36:40 »
E1SUNZ,
Extract the 'field' folder from 'yarLson Field Upscale Project v0.35.zip'
If you're using Avalanche place the 'field' folder in .\mods\avalanche\
If you're using Menu Overhaul, it goes in .\mods\DK\
Edit ff7_opengl.cfg to set the mod path to the same mod folder into which you placed 'field'
For Avalanche:
    mod_path = avalanche
For Menu Overhaul:
    mod_path = DK

-PitBrat

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2011-09-02 22:24:15 »
school is holding me back. I have been working on it though. There is something about the facepalmer outputs that I do not like so I decided just to keep going. Could be a while though.  I am working pretty slowly now

Ouroboros

• meh, lost my achivement (-_-)p
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2011-10-21 22:33:54 »
Yeah, i know has gone off for 30 days this th but i just wanna say i'm downloading right now and i'm exited with those preview and gona use it asap =P

Thx for this awesome mod

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2011-10-21 22:41:55 »
Is there any way to use shaders to emulate the lighting effects?

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2012-03-09 21:06:28 »
 :) Looking forward to an update on this project.  :)

Recko

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2012-10-10 15:39:25 »
No probs, I had a look at the file, and the result is the same.

I think the only reason it looks less blotchy is because it is blurry.
And the colours look off, for example the wall beside cloud looks really yellow and unnatural, especially compared to original.

Here are some in-game PNGs for people to compare:

Original: http://justincoutts.com/files/ss/Final_Fantasy_VII-2011-04-08_15.27.25.png
yarLson Method 1: http://justincoutts.com/files/ss/Final_Fantasy_VII-2011-04-08_15.17.24.png
yarLson Method 2: http://justincoutts.com/files/ss/Final_Fantasy_VII-2011-04-08_15.21.59.png

I agree but i wouldn't say blurry i'ld say way too smoothed which has actually made you lose alot of the texture detail.

Here's a pic of the original shot but with simple colour, contrast,levels etc.. that i quickly done which shows how the textures where smoothed and makes things like scratches, dents disappear, even straight lines have gone off more.

original: http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag100/recko2010/original_zps76281918.png
yours: http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag100/recko2010/yours_zps88e92c75.png
mine: http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag100/recko2010/mine_zps6fa30656.png

(remember mine isn't an enhancement for less pixels just modified to show detail)

don't agree on the wall though yours looks fine, remember when the train pulls in midgar is dark and lite up
« Last Edit: 2012-10-10 15:45:23 by Recko »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2012-10-11 21:34:43 »
The third image loses a lot of detail especially in the dark areas.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #121 on: 2012-10-12 09:52:16 »
The third image loses a lot of detail especially in the dark areas.

thumbs up!