Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Omzy's Field Pack - dramatically improved backgrounds! (2013-07-13)  (Read 275296 times)

Omzy

• View Profile
Updated 8/20/12, Posted new download including all recent fixes, no longer providing links for old downloads = PROJECT COMPLETE
*This is the thread for the Field Pack release, not for the FacePalmer script. See FacePalmer v3.0 for that.

Omzy's FFVII Field Pack
A 100% complete collection of 4x-resized background textures for FFVII.
These are the result of my field resizing batch script FacePalmer. In addition, dozens of special cases were finished by hand.

Download
Download the 3GB field pack. Then, if there are other files that have been fixed, you can download those and apply them individually.

*It is recommended not to use the 'remove glitched textures' option in Bootleg or you may irreversibly lose a lot of playable content.

*If any of these links go dead, send me a PM (it emails me instantly).

Omzy's FFVII Field Pack (~3GB)
Mirror 1 (Thanks to Template)

Install
After downloading the field pack, you may download individual fixes and 'patch' the folders inside the big pack with the fix (copy&replace). Once finished, you should have a field folder that is ~3.05gb. Your directory structure should resemble this:
C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\mods\FacePalmer\field\(lots of folders)

In the ff7_opengl.cfg file, find the line with the mod_path and change it to:
mod_path = FacePalmer/

To suppress "GLITCH: missed palette write to external texture" messages, add the following lines to the end of your ff7_opengl.cfg file:
# Disable Error Notifications
disable_popup = on

Feedback
If you have trouble installing or getting files downloaded, post in this forum so that others can respond with help.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you find any issues with in-game bugs or quality. I haven't had a chance to playtest everything myself, so there may yet be a few things that aren't completely right.

Potentially Erroneous Fields
delmin2    (Costa del Sol Inn)
zz3      (chocobo sage's house)
icedun_1   (frost cave)
Gold Saucer Entrance

Update 7/13/13:
I've playtested through 75% of the game and have a larger list of erroneous fields (~20). Whenever I get around to finishing the game (for the 15th or so time), I'll release more fixes  :-)
Waiting oh so patiently for FF8 driver support so I can wreck that game's graphics too...
« Last Edit: 2015-03-25 17:57:58 by Covarr »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
And i answered my own question.

This will tide me over until T.A comes out. I'll report back when i've tested them.  ;D

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Just started testing...

Just wanted to say thanks so much for doing this and making it available to everyone.

Starting a new game... so far the backgrounds are the best I've seen in game. Absolutely loving it.

Omzy

• View Profile
Just started testing...

Just wanted to say thanks so much for doing this and making it available to everyone.

Starting a new game... so far the backgrounds are the best I've seen in game. Absolutely loving it.
Thank you for the support  ;D
I am still pretty dissatisfied with the lighting problems, but I'll eventually get around to fixing that.

Vangus

Hi there !

At first i want to thank you guys for this awesome project, you pushed my favorite Game with these Backkgrounds to a new Level !
Then i want to apologize for my english, i know that my post is hard to read :o

but now i will talk about my concern: 

My Final Fantasy VII will not load the new Background files.

My Configuration :

Final Fantasy VII PC (Version 1.02)
Aalis OpenGL Driver Version 0.7.11b

Config file:

# ff7_opengl-0.7.10b config file

window_size_x = 1680
window_size_y = 1050
preserve_aspect = no
fullscreen = yes

mod_path = field

enable_vsync = yes

minigame_framelimiter = on

battleswirl_framelimiter = off

linear_filter = on

music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

mdef_fix = yes

new_battle_interface = off

post_source = shaders/bloom2.post
enable_postprocessing = no

use_shaders = no

prevent_rounding_errors = yes

fancy_transparency = on

show_fps = no

show_stats = no

compress_textures = no

use_pbo = no

use_new_timer = yes

use_stable_timer = no

movie_plugin = plugins/ffmpeg_movies.fgp

direct_mode = off

show_missing_textures = yes

My Game/mod path is: F:\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\mods\field

My Registry:

And here a little bit out of my FFVII APP.LOG:

INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.11b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 German
INFO: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 460/PCI/SSE2 4.1.0
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Max texture size: 16384x16384
INFO: Number of texture units: 4
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1680x1050, output resolution 1680x1050, internal resolution 1920x1440
INFO: FBO extension detected, using fast scaling/postprocessing path
INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r25886, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: No shaders, codecs with YUV output will be slow.
INFO: FF7Music helper plugin loaded
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/flevel/hand_1_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/flevel/sibuki1_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/flevel/sibuki2_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/flevel/sibuki3_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/flevel/sibuki4_00.png, failed
set music volume: 127
set music volume: 127
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: E:\FF7\Movies\eidoslogo.avi; truemotion2/pcm_u8 320x240, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 10.133333, frames: 152
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/cr/opback_a_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/cr/opback_b_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/cr/opback_c_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/cr/opback_d_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/cr/opback_e_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/cr/opback_f_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/cr/name1_a_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/cr/name1_b_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/cr/name2_a_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/cr/name2_b_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/cr/name3_a_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:/Square Soft, Inc./Final Fantasy VII//mods/field/cr/name3_b_00.png, failed

I have no clue why the Driver wont load the new Backgrounds, i hope you can help me in this case. 

best regards

Vangus

« Last Edit: 2011-08-15 13:58:09 by Vangus »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
Vangus,
In ff7_opengl.cfg you set:
    mod_path = field

All the mods go in the .\mods\field\ folder.
That means the FacePalmer field textures need to go inside .\mods\field\field\
Right now you have them in the root mods folder.

Vangus

So my log put out (i reinstalled my FF VII)

config:

mod_path = field

APP.LOG

INFO: tried to load F:\Spiele\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/field/field/mds7plr1/mds7plr1_16_10.png, falling back to palette 0
INFO: tried to load F:\Spiele\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/field/field/mds7plr1/mds7plr1_16_00.png, failed

Gamepath: F:\Spiele\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\mods\field\field

but it wont work :(

i need to edit my app path ?
« Last Edit: 2011-08-15 17:46:27 by Vangus »

Omzy

• View Profile
Only modify the mod_path located in the config file.

Change it to:
mod_path = FacePalmer/

Then place your FacePalmer folder inside F:/Square Soft, Inc/Final Fantasy VII/mods folder.

Since FacePalmer's structure is FacePalmer/field/(field files) your field files should now be located in: F:/Square Soft, Inc/Final Fantasy VII/mods/FacePalmer/field

Your problem is entirely mod_path related, no need to change the app path or anything else.

« Last Edit: 2011-08-15 17:49:05 by Omzy »

Vangus

Thx for your support :)

But when i start my FF VII

INFO: tried to load F:\Spiele\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/FacePalmer/field/mds7plr1/mds7plr1_03_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:\Spiele\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/FacePalmer/field/mds7plr1/mds7plr1_15_09.png, falling back to palette 0
INFO: tried to load F:\Spiele\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/FacePalmer/field/mds7plr1/mds7plr1_15_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:\Spiele\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/FacePalmer/field/mds7plr1/mds7plr1_15_10.png, falling back to palette 0
INFO: tried to load F:\Spiele\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/FacePalmer/field/mds7plr1/mds7plr1_15_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load F:\Spiele\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/FacePalmer/field/mds7plr1/mds7plr1_16_10.png, falling back to palette 0
INFO: tried to load F:\Spiele\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/FacePalmer/field/mds7plr1/mds7plr1_16_00.png, failed

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
OK so I have a little annoyance with this. I extracted all the folders and put them in my field directory in my modpath. The pack would not load in game. After further inspection I noticed that each folder contained another folder inside with the PNGs. I had to move the  folder with the PNGs into the field folder, and replace the original folder to get this working. Only thing is there are 667 folders in this bad boy. Is there an easier way to get this working, or am i missing something? What I did test and got working looks so much better than the original though!

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
They need to stay in their folders

Omzy

• View Profile
Vangus, try changing the gamepath in the registry to:

F:\Spiele\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\

Make sure there is no period (.).

OK so I have a little annoyance with this. I extracted all the folders and put them in my field directory in my modpath. The pack would not load in game. After further inspection I noticed that each folder contained another folder inside with the PNGs. I had to move the  folder with the PNGs into the field folder, and replace the original folder to get this working. Only thing is there are 667 folders in this bad boy. Is there an easier way to get this working, or am i missing something? What I did test and got working looks so much better than the original though!

Refer to the FacePalmer thread for more info on that issue (page 4).

KaidenJames

• View Profile
I know they need to be in their designated folders, but extracted as they were wasn't working. Example: Pillar_1 has a folder inside named Pillar_1. Inside the second folder are the PNGs. What I did was copy the second folder, back out to the field folder and replaced. Only when i did that is when the PNGs would load. But I don't wanna have to do that for 667 folders lol. Would take forever.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
Aren't those RARs?

Vangus

@ Kyubi

Thx !!  ;D

I have those double folders.

So now i havte some work to do  :-o

Template

• View Profile
Shouldn't be a lot of work involved.

I used winRAR to unpack everything and it does it more or less automatically.

The first time I tried to do it, I ended up stuck with folders within folders thinking I needed to manually unpack them... So i started over. I don't remember the order of operations off the top of my head, and I deleted the big file after I was finished.

Basically, you unpack the big rar file you downloaded, then you get a big folder full of more rars. So: select all > right click > extract to a folder of your choice, and I think that's pretty much it, except it took my computer about 5 minutes to unpack them all.

For me, my modpath = DK (the menu overhaul's default)
so the files are in my C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\mods\DK\field directory.

They are organized in folders to tell the game where to look for each scene. Like this one: C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\mods\DK\field\ancnt1\ancnt1_00_00.png

Hope that helps! That's just how it worked for me.

« Last Edit: 2011-08-15 19:44:39 by Template »

Vangus

Thx for help everybody :)

Now it works, and it looks incredibly awesome !

Very, very nice work !

KaidenJames

• View Profile
I finally got it working too. All I did was start over and follow what Template did. Funny thing is, I did the exact same thing the first time around  :-P Anyways, awesome job Omzy. Everything looks 100x better!

Omzy

• View Profile
Again, I apologize for the messy distribution. I'll make sure the next version is more drag-and-drop.

Template

• View Profile
I'm really stunned at the low number of missing or buggy scenes. There are very very few of either.

Some of the scenes are so nice that it makes boring parts worth replaying, like the long Kalm flashback culminating in the mysterious confrontation between Cloud and Sephiroth at the Nebelheim reactor. All of the scenes in the reactor are perfectly converted and it really adds to the suspense and tension. Night and day difference. Almost had a seizure when the game starts flashing between cloud and Seph each with swords drawn.

bashful6

• View Profile
Its a good thing I read here before installing or I would have to of restarted on such a big file.
Here are 2 pictures I took of the difference. I say its far more enjoyable and hope this project gets completed :-D
After/Before:

Before/After:

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
finally got around to installing this and i've gotta say man. WOW. It looks fantastic.

Vegadawg2

• Admitted Fanboy
    • View Profile
I really love this!  It has made objects that were once blurry pixelated messes a distinguishable object in the background.  Super great work and dedication to FFVII Omzy.  Keep up the good work SOLDIER...

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
Im downloading with uTorrent right now but wth is wrong with the speed 4kb?? no seeds?

Edit:
Its alright now 300kb but still a bit slow i normally get  1.4mb with torrents
« Last Edit: 2011-08-17 21:03:03 by E1SUNZ »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
I'm not seeding now, got problems with Internet. I will later anyway.