Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Upscaled Magic Textures (2012-02-19)  (Read 50062 times)

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
[FF7PC-98] Upscaled Magic Textures (2012-02-19)
« on: 2012-02-19 23:44:19 »
What is it?

Every magic texture and all of its' palettes have been converted to png, renamed, up scaled and filtered to work in Modpath.

What does it do?

It turns this (original textures)

Into this (up scaled textures)

Does it contain anything else?

Yes, all the original Team Avalanche magic textures have been placed into the proper modpath locations. I also Included Ices by Kela and the new cards by JordieBo. A new set of Tarot cards have also been included. I did not include The comet and dice textures since they were of no use to me.

Where can I get it?

Here

http://www.mediafire.com/?l36slfdst26e38b
http://www.mediafire.com/?3718bcsbi67qhp8
http://www.mediafire.com/?c3zdxpuub7jqz1b
http://www.mediafire.com/?3u3g5bo63qljk0m
http://www.mediafire.com/?nwo1i7p0jvsapz4
http://www.mediafire.com/?kkw598c1lwrty65

How do I install it?

I'm horrible at giving tech support, but I named my modpath Data to more closely follow the original LGP format. So either name your modpath Data and put the contents into that folder, or just copy the contents into your current modpath.

Are there any known problems?

The main issue you will encounter is on grey scale textures. For some reason if the original texture was in grey scale the mod path method doesn't properly remove the black that should appear transparent. The result is a black square around the magic spell. The way to fix this problem is to identify the offending texture. open the png in an image editor and delete the black leaving a transparent area. If you guys pm me or post up what textures are having this problem I'll put together a fix pack for them.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-15 02:21:58 by Grimmy »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: Upscaled Magic Textures
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-19 23:52:50 »
Wow fresh release! I will try that and I will post when I have time, I'm working on some intro videos till then! Thanks!

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-20 06:56:51 »
I'm having trouble zipping these files. Tried 7zip and winrar. Any suggestions?

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-20 08:21:11 »
Great work Grimmy, Do you mind if i ask what program/s you used to do these ?

@KyubiNemesis if you want to decompress these just open the data.7z.001 with 7zip when you have all files in the same folder, that works for me (i am using 7zip 9.23) or you can select Data.7z.001 with 7zip and then click FILE and COMBINE FILES and it turns the 6 archives back into 1.

KaidenJames

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-20 10:44:47 »
Thx Kranmer. The version of 7zip I had wasn't working. All good now. Thx Grimmy for the mod!  :evil:

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #5 on: 2012-02-20 12:46:11 »
I was wondering if I have to add a mod path as textures because I noticed it's Bootleg by default in opengl.cfg with lots of pngs there. If I want to add a path I add it with comma? ex. mod_path = bootleg, textures. Do we put the png files in textures or in Bootleg? Thanks!

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-02-20 15:06:03 »
Only one modpath allowed. Put everything in the same folder.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-02-20 15:49:11 »
Aha just what i needed thx a lot grimmy :D btw i have to download all of those links?

UGerstl

• Analyst and Backup-Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-02-20 16:10:14 »
@e1sunz: Yes, you must download all links/files.
                 It's a big archive divided into 100mb parts.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-20 16:13:04 by UGerstl »

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #9 on: 2012-02-20 19:21:23 »
Only one modpath allowed. Put everything in the same folder.

So the folder is "data". I put the folder in my Bootleg folder as it is. I'm just asking because inside the data folder there are folders named "battle", "magic" and such which are placed in different folder inside Bootleg folder... Thank you!
« Last Edit: 2012-02-21 12:49:24 by Leonhart7413 »

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #10 on: 2012-02-20 20:24:28 »
You're way over complicating things. Sounds like you have your modpath folder named bootleg. So just copy the entire contents of the data folder and place them into your bootleg folder. It just come down to what you named your modpath folder. Mine is named Data to more closely follow the original folder and lgp format, but it doesn't matter what that folder is called. You could have titled it bananas, and as long as the config file tells the driver to look at the bananas folder for external pngs and they are properly organized they will load.

My modpath address is C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\mods\data
Sounds like yours is C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\mods\bootleg

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #11 on: 2012-02-20 20:42:33 »
You're way over complicating things. Sounds like you have your modpath folder named bootleg. So just copy the entire contents of the data folder and place them into your bootleg folder. It just come down to what you named your modpath folder. Mine is named Data to more closely follow the original folder and lgp format, but it doesn't matter what that folder is called. You could have titled it bananas, and as long as the config file tells the driver to look at the bananas folder for external pngs and they are properly organized they will load.

My modpath address is C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\mods\data
Sounds like yours is C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\mods\bootleg

Excellent! That's what I did! Sorry for the newbismmmmm :P

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #12 on: 2012-02-20 20:48:09 »
Great work Grimmy, Do you mind if i ask what program/s you used to do these ?

I used omega to convert all the tex files to bmps. It was annoying because some of the original tex files have up to 30 palettes. Then I opened the bmps in photoshop un-indexed the color palettes, resized, filtered and saved as png. It was a simple process, but doing it 2600 times was really boring.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #13 on: 2012-02-20 22:39:22 »
I used omega to convert all the tex files to bmps. It was annoying because some of the original tex files have up to 30 palettes. Then I opened the bmps in photoshop un-indexed the color palettes, resized, filtered and saved as png. It was a simple process, but doing it 2600 times was really boring.

And that's how you become an "insane poster" ;) Amazing work really! After what I read I don't think i really care about grey pixels!
« Last Edit: 2012-02-20 23:06:43 by Leonhart7413 »

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #14 on: 2012-02-20 23:06:17 »
There is something wrong with loading the limit break textures, appears to be just bright blank without the fire texture around the character. I don't know if it is the textures I placed in mod path or something else.

*UPDATE* I deleted the folder "data" that I got from you (didn't replace anything) It still doesn't load limit break textures :(( like it's stuck!

*UPDATE* I tried copying only the images in my magic folder and seemed to work great but I still have problem with the limit breaks, though I'm suspicious that it doesn't read some other files too. I can't raw copy all .png files in the magic folder because it asks me to overwrite some. This means that I need to copy some files in another folder. I will try some changes but if someone knows better please help :)  Here I post a screenshot with my setup. Thank you!

*UPDATE* I copied all pngs as they are from each folder into the magic folder but kept both files when it asked to overwrite so there are some pngs with the same size renamed and with jo_b03_00.png not duplicate. I notice the difference in magic spells but limit break texture is still absent (I use the limit's flash V4 by kela51). I also noticed there are 2 .tex files 1.tex, baku1.tex which I replaced into the magic.lgp. I uploaded a video on youtube to see what's happening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFO8Mu5HmTc

(moved  in troubleshooting-delete if you want)

« Last Edit: 2012-02-21 13:23:27 by Leonhart7413 »

norikoteiko

• View Profile
    • German Ragnarok Online Highrate
« Reply #15 on: 2012-02-21 14:19:48 »
nice work  :)

KaidenJames

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-02-21 16:47:07 »
Leon, try creating a folder inside of the Magic folder called "Limit" and place the limit PNG you want to use in there. That's how mine is set up and it's working for me. Hope that helps!

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #17 on: 2012-02-21 18:09:17 »
Leon, try creating a folder inside of the Magic folder called "Limit" and place the limit PNG you want to use in there. That's how mine is set up and it's working for me. Hope that helps!
I tried all possible options. Doesn't work for the limit breaks :( For any suggestions come here (let's not spam this topic anymore) http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12848.0

AlbusJC

• If you really love something let it go
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-02-21 18:31:35 »
Have you tried deleting all the cache first?  :-\

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #19 on: 2012-02-21 18:51:05 »
Have you tried deleting all the cache first?  :-\

lol Yes. I direct you to the troubleshooting page ;) http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12848.0

*UPDATE* lolz spotted it--> *GLITCH: broken LGP file (magic), don't use LGP Tools!*

It's really interesting to read the APP.log because it shows the path that reads png files from Bootleg mod path (like in your setup)

INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/MAGIC/THUNDER/THUNDE00_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/MAGIC/THUNDER/THUNDE01_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/MAGIC/THUNDER/SONIC_1_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/MAGIC/THUNDER/THUNDE01_02.png, falling back to palette 0
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/MAGIC/THUNDER/THUNDE01_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/SPECIAL/HADO/ELEC1_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/SPECIAL/HADO/MOTO1_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/SPECIAL/HADO/DOMU1_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/SPECIAL/HADO/ENERGY00_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/SPECIAL/HADO/ENERGY02_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/SPECIAL/HADO/ENERGY02_06.png, falling back to palette 0
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/SPECIAL/HADO/ENERGY02_00.png, failed
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/SPECIAL/HADO/ENERGY00_03.png, falling back to palette 0
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/FF7/DATA/BATTLE/SPECIAL/HADO/ENERGY00_00.png, failed

I'm thrilled !!! everything works like a clock now!!! I made a new APP.log just for test. Only this occurred (I don't know if it's important!)

INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/Brizad_00.png, failed

INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/HVSHOT_01.png, falling back to palette 0

I spotted the HVSHOT_00.png and HVSHOT_01.png in my textures folder \Final Fantasy VII\textures\Limit , it might be from Avalanche I noticed it's the same file, so copied/renamed the HVSHOT_00.png into HVSHOT_01.png from your folder?

Thank you so much Grimmy!!!
« Last Edit: 2012-02-21 23:09:59 by Leonhart7413 »

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #20 on: 2012-02-22 01:26:59 »
INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/Brizad_00.png, failed

This shouldn't happen since there is no brizad.tex in an original magic.lgp. You are most likely using the kela51 models so it is being told by the brizad.rsd to look for the brizad.tex, but I'm not sure. A fix would be to convert Kela's brizad tex to png, and name it Brizad_00.png then place it in that location. I may include that in the fixes just so others don't get the same issue.

INFO: tried to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/mods/Bootleg/magic/HVSHOT_01.png, falling back to palette 0

That is from the TA magic textures. I was unaware it had a second palette, so I didn't add one. It will load the one I included when it does the falling back on palette 0 I think. Or yes just copy paste the HVSHOT_00.png and rename it HVSHOT_01.png.

Keep reporting any issues and I will put together a fixes pack soon.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #21 on: 2012-02-22 11:22:36 »
This shouldn't happen since there is no brizad.tex in an original magic.lgp. You are most likely using the kela51 models so it is being told by the brizad.rsd to look for the brizad.tex, but I'm not sure. A fix would be to convert Kela's brizad tex to png, and name it Brizad_00.png then place it in that location. I may include that in the fixes just so others don't get the same issue.

That is from the TA magic textures. I was unaware it had a second palette, so I didn't add one. It will load the one I included when it does the falling back on palette 0 I think. Or yes just copy paste the HVSHOT_00.png and rename it HVSHOT_01.png.

Keep reporting any issues and I will put together a fixes pack soon.

Yeyyyy! Kela 51's upscaled pngs! I guess I will keep playing when I have time :)

KG

« Reply #22 on: 2012-03-07 14:24:46 »
This makes battles look so much better! Thanks.  :-D I did notice one issue that was annoying enough to remember:

The main issue you will encounter is on grey scale textures. For some reason if the original texture was in grey scale the mod path method doesn't properly remove the black that should appear transparent. The result is a black square around the magic spell. The way to fix this problem is to identify the offending texture. open the png in an image editor and delete the black leaving a transparent area. If you guys pm me or post up what textures are having this problem I'll put together a fix pack for them.

The leaf textures in special/konoha/ are showing this graphical issue. I got it sorted and stuck it up on mediafire if you'd rather not redo them yourself: http://www.mediafire.com/?8n7qp726xq7ou7q

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #23 on: 2012-03-07 15:42:00 »
This makes battles look so much better! Thanks.  :-D I did notice one issue that was annoying enough to remember:

The leaf textures in special/konoha/ are showing this graphical issue. I got it sorted and stuck it up on mediafire if you'd rather not redo them yourself: http://www.mediafire.com/?8n7qp726xq7ou7q

Are they supposed to look so bright?

« Last Edit: 2012-03-07 22:50:17 by Leonhart7413 »

KG

« Reply #24 on: 2012-03-07 22:32:10 »
I have no idea why they look so bright in GIMP (they do for me, too) but when I tested them in game they looked fine. Irfanview also shows me a normal looking texture

I certainly could've messed something up though. I freely admit I don't really know what I'm doing with a real texture editor. Paint's more my speed.  :P

I easily could've fixed the textures by doing something that works but is also 'wrong.'
« Last Edit: 2012-03-07 22:35:41 by KG »