Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New High Quality FMV Project (2013-05-10)  (Read 47086 times)

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
Re: New High Quality FMV Project
« Reply #50 on: 2013-05-27 02:48:37 »
I think I know what you mean by the video size. I checked my conversion tool I used to go from avi to mp4, and the POS is defaulted to go for quickest conversion and smallest video size. I have never seen something like that, usually they're automatically set to keep original settings. I just tested it on biglight, and without adding the audio, the old one was like 11mb. The new unedited biglight video without audio is 81mb! That's what I get for swapping OSX for Windows. So the bad news is I have more tweaks to make than I thought, ugh. Good is that I kept my animation and rendering settings, so instead of starting those from scratch I can correct them much quicker, and swapping video files wont take long at all. So as annoying as it is that this has become the never ending project, the good news is that the slow and double encoded videos I'm doing now look twice as good, which will result in much better final videos. As each video is now nearly x10 it's original size, unedited, I probably will use a torrent.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2013-05-28 00:52:47 »
Luckily I kept vegas project files for each video this time so swapping video files didn't take long. This time I took a new approach to the remastering. Before I was basing the image of my videos on other restoration projects to get an idea of how to do mine. This time I compared my enhanced videos to the originals from the re-release. They did have a washed out appearance and seem to have a hazy grey screen across them, but they weren't horrible. So I cleaned up the color and sharpness again but this time I just adjusted the videos to how they would look without the grey haze, or as close to it as possible. I made several minor adjustments to each video to get them right, and they look amazing. I'm testing them now and replayed up through the reactor 1 bombing mission. The color and contrast seems to fit perfectly, and videos like mkup transition flawlessly. When I started the new game I didn't even notice when the opening video ended until people started jumping off the train. I'm going to go through them a bit more before uploading the next and final release. 

The only draw back possibly is the file size. The new movie folder is 2.74GB. The re-releases are bigger than the originals and I did a lot to them. I also did nothing in conversions for compression to maximize video quality, and it really shows. I'm going to look into sites I can post something that large to, preferably as one or no more than two files. Otherwise I'm considering a torrent.     

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #52 on: 2013-05-28 02:37:08 »
Post in filetrip.net, they give 100GB for free.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2013-05-28 03:03:41 »
Or p2p it, i'll seed it like i do Roses And Wine

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2013-05-28 03:05:18 »
Dang, that was fast, too. I have no doubt these will be well worth your effort, but I thank you for the extra sweat.  Really looking forward to checking them out. 2.47GB is nothing to me, personally. The videos were so bad the way they originally released them for PC that I'm not surprised it took that kinda size to get them polished up. I have little doubt there would be a reasonable compromise as far as compression goes, but I also don't care and wouldn't mess with it if it wasn't causing YOU any trouble. /cheers

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2013-05-29 23:13:25 »
Thanks, and you too LeonhartGR, I'm setting that up now. Ok so I've sat on the new release for awhile and only made two very minor tweaks, nothing seriously crucial. I could keep going through them, but I don't think there's really anything to do that would make them any better. I'm packaging it now for upload and will have it posted as soon as it's done. Look for a link ready by tonight.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2013-05-29 23:26:46 »
Damn it! Upload was half done and I lost power. What the hell! Ok take two.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2013-05-30 00:53:53 »
"But for real guys, I swear this time it's the final update."

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2013-05-30 02:30:56 »
That's cute thanks. So the power outage killed windows. I seriously hate pcs. So bad news is I have to rebuild my computer which is massively time consuming, and I don't have a really recent backup. Good news is I'm recovering my data now and slowly copying it to an external. I had to use Backtrack 5 which is like using a bazooka to open a locked door but it's getting the job done. I'll copy the fmvs over to my mac and upload them then, although that maybe tomorrow.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2013-05-30 02:41:47 »
Good thing they weren't lost. Although if they were I could definitely be happy with the previous ones you made.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2013-05-30 04:35:50 »
Yeah I was in freakout mode for awhile. I recovered the unreleased fmvs and all the other ff7 files and other projects I was working on, so things are better. Just pissed. Considering a solid state OS drive with my two hdds with a raid one this time, or just visualize the damn thing. The project will be uploaded tomorrow, this has been exhausting.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2013-05-30 19:00:11 »
I prefer SSD's but some computers have problems with them. My X51 in particular seemed to run better and defrag quicker before I upgraded to the solid state.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2013-05-30 19:47:01 »
Defrag a SSD?  ???
This will decrease the lifetime of a SSD, because there is a limit of writing processes. Another point is, that the drive doesn't need to search the data like a HDD. So it shouldn't matter if the data is fragmented.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2013-05-30 19:48:20 »
Then I guess I'm just an idiot.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2013-05-30 20:33:54 »
Defrag a SSD?  ???
This will decrease the lifetime of a SSD, because there is a limit of writing processes. Another point is, that the drive doesn't need to search the data like a HDD. So it shouldn't matter if the data is fragmented.
SSDs and other flash media can still get performance benefits if related data is close together, just not nearly on the same level as a magnetic HDD. That said, you should still never run a defrag flash media.

If you want to effectively defragment flash storage, you need another storage device whose free space is greater or equal to that of the fragmented SSD. Simply put, you back up everything, wipe the drive, and restore everything. Assuming you're not doing a whole disk image, it will defragment itself naturally when copying back, while only using one write cycle (as opposed to standard defragmentation software, which can use hundreds or more).

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2013-05-30 22:50:19 »
It doesn't matter that much, I can get another one once mine's fried, and everything is automatically backed up through AlienRespawn.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2013-05-30 23:05:23 »
I wouldn't worry. They're pretty resilient, and starting to drop in price, sorta. They do have a write limit but otherwise you cant really effect their performance. Also, you should enable trim to help with performance ( http://lifehacker.com/5640971/check-if-trim-is-enabled-for-your-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7)

Second upload attempt under way. It's about 3gbs with the extra original ending videos too so it's taking its time. Probably be up later tonight.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2013-05-30 23:10:41 »
Maybe that's why my standard hard drive seemed a bit faster. Anyways, glad the vids are being uploaded. better videos means a more seamless experience.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2013-05-31 02:12:28 »
Testing download speed after upload was so long....currently at 16 hours? Damnit, and at 40kbps that could be accurate. I'll repackage it for faster sites.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2013-05-31 02:36:38 »
Google drive took the original size ending videos just fine. Waiting on the rest in the other package. I've reorganized them into four smaller zip files if needed.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2013-05-31 03:44:00 »
go go go !   ;D

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2013-05-31 03:59:14 »
I know right. I should have used my vm from work. Runs on a server at a data center with a fiber link at 1 Gbps. Last file finishing now. Google was a lot better.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2013-05-31 04:13:35 »
Ok finally. Took all evening to get these organized and uploaded effectively. Links are on first page.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2013-05-31 05:12:20 »
Dang dude, I am on it. Google drive is blazing fast imo. I can't wait to check em out...
Had the day from Hell so this is definitely a good start to last day of May as it's just past midnight here now.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2013-05-31 15:21:30 »
For good, free hosts, I typically recommend MEGA and FileTrip. They're both fairly fast, and far better than most free file hosts in almost every meaningful way.