Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Re:Sampled - High Resolution Pre-Rendered Backgrounds (v2.0)  (Read 92457 times)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Release

Download v2.0 Now!
Small Fix for 2.0

or try the...

2.0 Demo

Compare

Click an image for full size, left half is old and right is new

Learn

What is it?
Re:Sampled is an upscale of Final Fantasy VII's field backgrounds with the intention of keeping them as true to the original as possible.  Spiritual successor to my unfinished Project Blackfan, this new project is not only superior in quality but also 100% complete.

If you use my pack please keep an eye out for any minor imperfections (I got most of the big ones I think), so I can fix them up and make this pack glitch free.  The thumbnails above show a quick preview of the quality difference between mine and the original.  Please note that lighting is an un-fixable issue for now unless aali fixes it in his driver.  Hope you all enjoy it!

Also, The demo includes just the first bombing mission so you can get a feel for the pack before committing to the 4 GB full download.  Cheers!

How to install
Make sure you are using Aali's driver, preferably the latest one.  Simply place the "field" folder from the download into your mod path folder.  So for example if you had Reunion installed it would go in (wherever you installed FF7)/mods/Reunion/.  After that make sure you have the mod path set in your "ff7_opengl.cfg"; the config file that came with Aali's driver.

So in the example above you would make sure the line reads

"mod_path = Reunion"

To install the demo do exactly the same steps above but first rename the folder "demo" to "field". 

Credit:
Very special thanks to Omzy for creating the Facepalmer script without which I may have never attempted to finish what I started (since it does virtually all the work).  Thanks to Aali for both his driver which makes this possible and his Palmer tool which is an essential piece of the puzzle as well.  Also thanks to sl1982 for helping me out in the beginning many years ago.  Also a big loving thanks to my wife for helping fix errors and for her support.  Finally, thanks to Napper for helping me find and debug minor issues, and to anyone else who contributed feedback, encouragement or a helping hand.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-03 16:15:50 by yarLson »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: Project Re:Sampled [Yet Another Field Upscale]
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-05 00:17:03 »
Looking forward to it :)

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-06 09:00:45 »
Great news!

And welcome back, yarLson!!

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-06 10:19:46 »
Good news I am 100% done with the first initial release.  Their may be minor bugs or glitches but it should mostly be on par with Omzy's pack in that respect.  As I said I will hand edit as many errors or imperfections as I can find so if anyone finds something please let me know.  I am pretty sure I got everything but there might be a scene or two missing.  Just let me know if you find one.  Also I am aware that lighting layers don't load correctly so I have decided to just leave them out for now until We can get them working properly.

So I am going to compress these overnight with PNGOUT.  Will probably take most of tomorrow too, but as soon as its done, then I will load them up into a nice little installer (hopefully) and release them in as small a package as I can possibly get.  So yeah tomorrow or maybe the next day or two should be the release!

Sonicmfc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-06 12:15:16 »
This look very impressive can't wait to try them out!

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Re: [REL] Project Re:Sampled
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-07 19:43:30 »
1.0 Released!!!!

Links in first post.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
Re: [REL] FF7 Re:Sampled 1.0
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-07 20:05:15 »
The screenshots look good. Trying to download the zipped file version, but stuck trying to connect to peers. I can help provide an alternative download when it's done but it looks like this will take awhile.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-07 20:09:03 »
If you mean the torrent I am the only peer for now.  If you wanna try quickly, use the google download [7zip] first since it will take a while to get some peers for the torrent.  Its weird though I don't see anyone connected to the torrent on my end.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-07 20:11:23 by yarLson »

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-07 20:13:59 »
You mean the one with the exe? Ok doing that one instead. It's working fine, I just don't have the game on this particular pc, but I assume I can just point it to the desktop and it'll be fine. Look forward to testing these out, good work.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-07-07 20:15:12 »
I completely agree on Fractals.  I did used to believe that was the best option available, but for game backgrounds rendered at 320*224... it simply isn't imho.  It creates an artificial and unnatural look.

Sonicmfc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-07-07 20:19:13 »
I hate to be a pain but could you upload this on another site like Mediafire? I only ask because I have pretty bad internet so I normally use a download manager which allows me to resume a download if there's a network problem but google docs doesn't work correctly with download managers so I just know I'll have about 95% downloaded on chrome only to get a network error making me have to restart from scratch :|

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-07-07 20:23:13 »
okay torrent won't work for now.  Apparently my port isn't open even though I have it set to be, so avoid it until I figure it out.

I completely agree on Fractals.  I did used to believe that was the best option available, but for game backgrounds rendered at 320*224... it simply isn't imho.  It creates an artificial and unnatural look.

Hopefully this will prove a viable alternative.

I hate to be a pain but could you upload this on another site like Mediafire? I only ask because I have pretty bad internet so I normally use a download manager which allows me to resume a download if there's a network problem but google docs doesn't work correctly with download managers so I just know I'll have about 95% downloaded on chrome only to get a network error making me have to restart from scratch :|

Sure if a free mediafire account will allow the bandwidth I'll try right now.  Also try Jdownloader or something similar as a DL manager.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-07-07 20:28:33 »
the exe version has an issue. "not a valid win32 application". I'll try the torrent again I guess. Is the zipped version on google drive too?

~Mediafire has a 200mb limit for free accounts, so just subdivide the zip file.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-07 20:34:52 by cmh175 »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2014-07-07 20:35:52 »
download peazip and try again.  Sorry I didn't think it was required but if that's your message then it must be. 

*update*
What a messed up release apparently the .exe is corrupt, so screw self extracting I am redoing a regular zip file and will reup in a moment.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-07 20:43:10 by yarLson »

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-07-07 20:42:20 »
I think it got this now. The executable doesn't open, but I can apparently unzip it with 7zip like a rar file, weird but works.

Sonicmfc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2014-07-07 20:55:54 »
the exe version has an issue. "not a valid win32 application". I'll try the torrent again I guess. Is the zipped version on google drive too?

~Mediafire has a 200mb limit for free accounts, so just subdivide the zip file.

I have a free mediafire account and my limit is 3gb? I've used 322mb of it  ???

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-07-07 20:58:33 »
okay so yeah am re-upping a new zip and I dunno why my torrent ports won't open everything is set up propper, so might have to take it down.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2014-07-08 00:03:33 »
These look pretty good. I used the Facepalmer mixed with the others preset in bootleg. Yours maybe clearer, but the color looks fainter, so the field models stand out more like the environment is just a backdrop. If you're able to punch up the color so it's closer it'll probably be the best upscaled field backgrounds we have. This has massive potential though if you can keep going forward with it.

Napper

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2014-07-08 01:03:34 »
Great Stuff yarLson! You mentioned you wanted to hear if there were any small discrepancies.

junair -  The highwind's lights don't fade and emit. [Just need to delete junair_16_00.png]
 gaiafoot - Large black squares present
 trnad_1 - The screen is supposed to transition into a green mist but the screen just goes black instead. You can see the transition here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzWb-zMsjLo&list=PLB3794695EC5A2382#t=3595   [at the 1 hour mark]
 md8_5 - Blue Lines and squares. [This also had to be fixed in Omzy's Field Pack]
 tunnel_5 - Red lights don't fade and emit [tunnel_5_15_00.png]
  ealin_2 - Door on left side stays closed when opened [ealin_2_00_00.png]
 nivinn_2 - Door is both open and closed
« Last Edit: 2014-07-08 06:08:16 by Napper »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2014-07-08 04:46:01 »
Great Stuff yarLson! You mentioned you wanted to hear if there were any small discrepancies.

junair -  The highwind's lights don't fade and emit. [Just need to delete junair_16_00.png]
 gaiafoot - Large black squares present
 trnad_1 - The screen is supposed to transition into a green mist but the screen just goes black instead. You can see the transition here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzWb-zMsjLo&list=PLB3794695EC5A2382#t=3595   [at the 1 hour mark]
 md8_5 - Blue Lines and squares. [This also had to be fixed in Omzy's Field Pack]

Thanks so much.  I gotta few days off this week so the more we can find quickly the better.  I'll try to get a fix up for these tomorrow. I was gonna start a new playthrough myself and see if I notice anything but the more we have looking for errors the better.

These look pretty good. I used the Facepalmer mixed with the others preset in bootleg. Yours maybe clearer, but the color looks fainter, so the field models stand out more like the environment is just a backdrop. If you're able to punch up the color so it's closer it'll probably be the best upscaled field backgrounds we have. This has massive potential though if you can keep going forward with it.

Well thankfully color is something I can easily fix without having to even rewrite the modpath textures (hopefully).  I could just pump up the saturation and vibrance a bit and should fix it.

I also fixed the link and made it a proper zip.  I dunno why the torrent won't work.  So I will remove it for now until I can get my seeds working.  I'll put up a few mirrors in the next few days to give people more options.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-08 05:34:36 by yarLson »

Napper

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2014-07-08 05:36:41 »
I'll just keep adding more that i find to my original post

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2014-07-08 13:35:05 »
Thanks so much.  I gotta few days off this week so the more we can find quickly the better.  I'll try to get a fix up for these tomorrow. I was gonna start a new playthrough myself and see if I notice anything but the more we have looking for errors the better.

Well thankfully color is something I can easily fix without having to even rewrite the modpath textures (hopefully).  I could just pump up the saturation and vibrance a bit and should fix it.

I also fixed the link and made it a proper zip.  I dunno why the torrent won't work.  So I will remove it for now until I can get my seeds working.  I'll put up a few mirrors in the next few days to give people more options.

Great news man. They currently have a grainy sort of look because of the color but they aren't washy looking at all and look pretty clear. With some cleaning up these would look really good.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2014-07-08 17:42:57 »
Great news man. They currently have a grainy sort of look because of the color but they aren't washy looking at all and look pretty clear. With some cleaning up these would look really good.

help me out then
https://anonfiles.com/file/9c9b3c8f38cf93b3d4b808f72a4ed50a
here is an original, show me what you would do to "clean it up" and then send it back and outline the process, if you could.  I have a few ideas, but its always helps to have more than one mind on a problem.  thanks

Sonicmfc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2014-07-08 18:08:42 »
Could you post some ingame screenshots so I can see how they currently look? (I know pics never do these things justice but still)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2014-07-10 20:39:09 »
Could you post some ingame screenshots so I can see how they currently look? (I know pics never do these things justice but still)

I'll try to reorganize the first post with some screens.  Probably not in game shots just comparison images.  I may put together a sampler pack for the first bombing mission that way people can see if they like it before downloading the whole huge thing.

Also I have applied some fixes that Napper has mentioned above so thank you so much for the help.  Please keep um coming.  I have also added some color and vibrance to the images as per cmh175's request so it will require an entire new upload.  Version 1.1 will be up a little later today with the fixes and color changes.