Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Higher Resolution - Part II (v1.00)(Discontinued, use Aali's driver)  (Read 282088 times)

The SaiNt

• View Profile
SCREENSHOTS

For those of you that follow the battle->field conversion thread

And for ppl who just can't get enough of FSAA

Experimental Billinear Interpolation (Not activated in this patch cause it looks ugly]

STATUS
World Map: 100%
Field: 100%
Movies: 100%
Menu: 100%
Battle: 99%
Misc: 80%

And finally, here's a beta release of the patch:-

http://forums.qhimm.com/The_SaiNt/[The_SaiNt]_High_Res_FF7PC_Patcher.rar

Pls link to this thread if you tell anyone about the patch and not to the file directly as this allows me to keep statistics about downloads.
I would appreciate it if I get feedback on how many installs actually work (not just complaints on how many don't work) since I'll be able to troubleshoot what's broken.

FAQ

What does this patch do?
This patch makes FFVII PC run at 1280x960. (twice the horizontal and vertical resolution).
It also fixes the FSAA artifacts so you can use this patch with FSAA on.

What isn't fixed yet?
Most of the battle animations that draw a texture aren't stretched properly. (They occupy the top left corner of the screen)
The credit afte the EIDOS and Squaresoft logo are messed up.

Why do the backgrounds still look blocky?
This patch only increases the resolution of the 3D models.
The backgrounds are just stretched to fit using nearest neighbour.
Billinear interpolation might be implemented in the future if I have the time and figure how to do it without causing any artifacts.

What do I need to install this patch?
You need the FFVII PC US 1.02 executable and the US version of FFVII PC and be able to start the game with it installed.
Other versions will NOT work, so don't even bother asking.
Your monitor & video card must also be able to display a resolution of 1280x960. (Check in Windows Display settings)

I have an LCD monitor that doesn't support 1280x960!
If your monitor supports 1280x1024 then apply the 2nd patch in the download package after applying the main patch.
This pads the screen with black bars to make it fit.
It DOES NOT increase the resolution.

Will you ever support other resolutions?
Maybe, only if I have the time.
But probably only for resolutions that are a multiple of 320x240
That is only likely to be done after I iron out all the bugs in the current patch.

Does this patch work with xxxx patch?
Any patch that does not alter the FFVII main executable will work fine.
For any patch that does, there might be problems.
Also it is important to apply this patch BEFORE applying any other patches.
For convenience sake, this patch includes jedwin's Chocobo patch for Windows XP.

When the game is paused in battle, all battle help text and textures slowly "scroll" through the texture sheet moving to the upper left.
This is a bug in the 1.02 executable and has nothing to do with this patch.

I get a black screen when I start the game right after I apply the patch
Check to see if you have Win98/ME compatibility mode enabled if you're using Windows XP.
Also check to see that you can play the FFVII movies directly in media player.
Also check that you have 640x480 & TNT selected in the FFVII Config.

After patching the game runs really slow on my PC! Can you make it faster?
NO. I'm not going to optimize the FFVII render code.
I have hardly any free time to work on this patch.

Can the patch work on the French/German/etc language version?
I can't confirm it myself but apparently it will but you still need to use the US 1.02 executable.
The following forum member managed to get it working, here's a snippet of his guide.

Quote from: TazDef
Here is the tutorial for applying the great HighRes Patch on non-english versions:

1. Make a fresh FULL install from your original FFVII CD.
2. Get the english 1.02 XP Patch.
3. Overwrite the original FF7.exe and the FF7Config.exe in your Gamefolder with the patched ones found in the archive.
4. Apply Saints great HighRes Patch, just like posted in these thread.
5. Replace your language-code from following files:

..\data\cd\cr_gm.lgp
..\data\cd\disc_gm.lgp
..\data\menu\menu_gm.lgp
..\data\wm\world_gm.lgp
..\data\minigame\high-ge.lgp (YES it's "-" in stead of "_")
..\data\minigame\snowboard-ge.lgp (YES it's "-" in stead of "_")

-> into filename_us.lgp (ie. ..\data\cd\cr_gm.lgp -> ..\data\cd\cr_us.lgp)

6. Remove the language-letter form follwing files:

..\FFVII\data\field\gflevel.lgp
..\FFVII\data\minigame\gchocobo.lgp
..\FFVII\data\minigame\gcondor.lgp
..\FFVII\data\minigame\gsub.lgp

(ie. ..\FFVII\data\field\gflevel.lgp -> ..\FFVII\data\field\flevel.lgp)

These are the german files, if you want to patch another version, just look for the same files ending with your language code (ie. _sp for spanish or _fr for french, _it for italian i guess). The files beginning with g, in my german version, should start with s, f or i, relating to your language.

After doing so, you should be able to play the game in HighRes and in your language. Only the Menu still remains in english, but this should not to be a problem.

I have some other problem that isn't stated in the FAQ. What do I do
Read through the original thread here and the remainder of this thread over and see if it answers your question.
If it doesn't go ahead and post your question in this topic, hopefully someone will be able to help you.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-19 18:21:25 by Covarr »

77thStreet

Higher Resolution FFVIIPC [v1.00] -Part II
« Reply #1 on: 2006-01-20 20:29:43 »
okie, anyway, here starts off my question.

1st, this is how i updated my FFVII:

1st off, i started of up updating the FF7Config and FF7.exe to 1.02. I tried to start the game, everything went well.

2ndly, i installed the Reunion patch, went into game, everything went smooth.

3rdly, i tried to install the Higher Resolution Patch, it either says that the filesize is incorrect, or it says that CRC check error or something like that. I can't check it now for the reason that I just reformatted my PC, so FFVII is not installed yet.

Note: I tried to install the Chocobo patch first before the Higher Resolution patch, but still to no avail.

So, what I'm trying to say is that, maybe someone can try to make a patch with everything inside that will work with all patches(file request), OR can someone copy the FSAA settings for rivatuner for me, as i lost it during reformat.

Thanks in advance, its my first post btw, but it won't be the last. =p

Midgar

• View Profile
[BETA RELEASE] Higher Resolution FFVIIPC [v1.00] - Part II
« Reply #2 on: 2006-01-20 23:52:28 »
Hmm incorrect file size? How old is your game?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #3 on: 2006-01-20 23:56:05 »
Your game is the English version, right?

77thStreet

« Reply #4 on: 2006-01-21 05:48:13 »
Yeah, its english. Legit version of the copy.

Well, around like 6 years. Theres always a headache in such things for me. lols.

PS: For people who doesn't want to read the long topics worth 20 pages, post here =p

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-01-21 07:38:22 »
Install reunion patch last, either that or your download is corrupted... in that case simply re-download. (NOTE: If you are using the wrong 1.02 patch the hi-res patch will not install/work)

Also you should not be using the chocobo patch. The Hi-Res patch includes it in it. And once you get everything working install dziugo's patches.

77thStreet

« Reply #6 on: 2006-01-21 07:47:22 »
Thanks for the advises, anyway i get FSAA to work without garbage background or font now. Thanks anyway =).

All seems to be working real nicely now. =P

pirate_x

doesnt work
« Reply #7 on: 2006-01-30 20:11:02 »
i try the patch but it comes up with a crc erro and says nothign patched and says ...done! lol i think its koo that your doing this cause i hate the way it looks but it would be kooler if you coudl get it to work with me. thanks oh by the way im running it on the ultima edtion and it has the xp patch for nvidia.

"CRC32 check failed!
nothing patched!
...done!"

thats what it looks like in the window

pirate_x

doesnt work
« Reply #8 on: 2006-01-30 20:12:15 »
i try the patch but it comes up with a crc erro and says nothign patched and says ...done! lol i think its koo that your doing this cause i hate the way it looks but it would be kooler if you coudl get it to work with me. thanks oh by the way im running it on the ultima edtion and it has the xp patch for nvidia.

"CRC32 check failed!
nothing patched!
...done!"

P.S.- where do you get the hi def cloud patch would like that if someone has a link or can send me the file somehow that owuld be great thanks

Shaher

• View Profile
    • http://www.finalcraft.com
« Reply #9 on: 2006-01-30 20:28:55 »
Here's a funny one:

The guy who should make screenshots for me (I don't own FF VII/PC) tried to install the High Res Patch and got the following thing:

"Wrong filesize or already patched!
nothing patched!"

Well, as he says, the Res is still at 640*480.
Any idea why?

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-01-30 20:47:19 »
If he means that in the FF7Config screen it shows the option of 640X480, that stays the same after you apply the patch.  You keep it on the 640X480 setting, but the game will run with the Hi-Resolution.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-01-30 21:24:01 »
No, if it says wrong file size it means that your friend isn't using a clean 1.02 US executable. If you want to use some other patch, you must allways begin aplying this one.

Phyltre

• View Profile
Re: doesnt work
« Reply #12 on: 2006-01-30 21:45:25 »
Quote from: pirate_x
thanks oh by the way im running it on the ultima edtion and it has the xp patch for nvidia.

"CRC32 check failed!
nothing patched!
...done!"

Ultima Edition = Evil.  And incompatible with this.  So start from a clean install.  You have the disks around, right pirate_x?  (The only acceptable answer in these parts to that question is yes, by the way.)

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #13 on: 2006-01-31 13:16:08 »
No support for the Ultima Edition.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-01-31 13:59:53 »
Quote from: Aaron
No support for the Ultima Edition.

There never was and never will be, I don't mind pirating but not Final Fantasy :/

pirate_x

thanks
« Reply #15 on: 2006-01-31 17:07:23 »
Ha Ha Ha i do have the disks somewhere but i forget where, i have moved so many times since i packed it up. so i had to download it i remember trying to play it again about a year and a half ago and the movies played upside down so i uninstalled it and packed it away i love this game so i never got rid of it but i still cant find it...ohwell looks like im out of luck untill i can find it...oh any word on the hi-def cloud patch?

Shaher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-01-31 18:04:31 »
Quote from: Borde
No, if it says wrong file size it means that your friend isn't using a clean 1.02 US executable. If you want to use some other patch, you must allways begin aplying this one.

Well... am I'm blind, or doesn't this stand anywhere. So, for the High Res Patch... you need the US-Version of FF VII/PC and the 1.02 Patch US ? =(
This kinda sucks, because... up here almost everyone has the german version of the game.
Is there any way to get the High Res Patch working with the german version ?
And if not: SaiNt, would it be hard to make this possible ?

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-01-31 20:42:24 »
Quote from: Shaher

Well... am I'm blind, or doesn't this stand anywhere. So, for the High Res Patch... you need the US-Version of FF VII/PC and the 1.02 Patch US ? =(
This kinda sucks, because... up here almost everyone has the german version of the game.

Lol I don't understand...
1st i live in the netherlands (next to germany) and i never even heard of another langual version of FF beside english and Jap.
2nd Why would anyone EVER want to trnslate a game like that to a language like that :S ever heard a German voice-synced movie? (they all are on german tv and/or german dvd import etc..)

Shaher

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-01-31 20:48:07 »
Quote from: chaoscontrol
Quote from: Shaher

Lol I don't understand...
1st i live in the netherlands (next to germany) and i never even heard of another langual version of FF beside english and Jap.
2nd Why would anyone EVER want to trnslate a game like that to a language like that :S ever heard a German voice-synced movie? (they all are on german tv and/or german dvd import etc..)

How about reading the FAQ ? =D

First point: You shouldn't install the AnimeVamp "FF7 XP Patch" / "1.04 Patch" - here's why. The newest patch you should be using is the 1.02 patch from Eidos.

1.02 Patch: English | French | German | Spanish
[/b]

Anyway, don't spam please o__o"

btw: Germany + Switzerland + Austria (all speaking german) = ~ 100.000.000+ People o_O

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-01-31 20:58:52 »
not to go off-topic or anything (i know i still am) Didn't aussies speak english? and did you know Netherlands, South Afrika, Lots of islands in caribic speak dutch not that i even care, i was just saying i dont like the language, nothing personal, like some dont like soup or something... freedom of speech altough i did not wish to insult you. lets drop the subject ok?

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006-01-31 21:42:19 »
Sorry Shaher, but yes, The Saint's patch is designed only for the US version. if you have the US version, you can use that with the flevel.lgp from the German version and have German text (but the menus will still be in english)

77thStreet

« Reply #21 on: 2006-01-31 22:09:53 »
erm just a suggestion.

why not someone just upload their ff7.exe with all the patches installed, save a lot of troubles don't ya think?

you may consider uploading the battle.lgp, field.lgp which is modified or so if possible, than those who could not get their patches or something working could finally get it? ~_-

just my 2 cents.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #22 on: 2006-01-31 22:29:29 »
Why not upload the CDs with modified files ready to burn? Oh wait.. Would that be a piracy? Shoot...

dziugo

pirate_x

didnt pirate this
« Reply #23 on: 2006-02-01 03:30:48 »
well i didnt pirate this game since i own it just cant find the thing. as i recall even when i first got it the thing didnt want to run correctly on my pc way back then lol and it still manages to give me problems. hmm i wonder is there a way to get the normal version out of the Ultima version or maybe get the Ultima out of the normal lol help me out. Help Me Help You! thanks

77thStreet

« Reply #24 on: 2006-02-01 06:45:23 »
oh well, u can make a easy patch with an ips patcher too. It just looks for the original file, and patched it down. simple as abc. no such nonsense as crc error or wrong filesize. =x, although it may mess up the game, im not sure xD