Author Topic: Field Scene Screens (non bombing mission) Gallery  (Read 165118 times)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
Re: Field Scene Screens (non bombing mission) Gallery
« Reply #225 on: 2012-09-25 03:16:54 »
I believe the word is "good enough" I'm not sure what 'good enough' is but if you are satisfied it's good enough :D

I agree. Else I'd be stuck working 1 year on a somewhat simple scene (things like that are always perfectible), while the amount of job to be done is huge. I guess it's time to move on to something else, if it's good enough for you guys.
On another note, I think there is one last thing I would like to try, which would be smoke simulation. But it's not a priority.

The cloths on the wire are a bit stiff.
Add some waves into it.

No.  >:(
I'm kidding - I'm not angry - but I don't think I am going to revise that. I'll explain.

Perhaps a suggestion on how to 'wave' the towels, is to bend them first (sinusoidal) then redrape them. That would be my suggestion. My guess is the wave the person was refering to is the unjulation one sees in towels drapped with a slight stretch at the ends and not in the section in contact with the rope.

I don't think I'll retouch this part. You see, the clothes are "at rest" after a dynamic cloth simulation where I let them fall on the wire (collisions with the wire and self-collisions were modelled). I picked the last frame of this simulation because it corresponds to a "at rest" position (earlier frames were more wavy) - and I deleted these unused earlier frames. I believe the air should remain very stagnant in a place like this, thus there is no "real" reason for the clothes to be in motion. For references, I recommend watching clothes hanging on a drying rack    :evil:
« Last Edit: 2012-09-25 15:53:30 by Mayo Master »

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 2012-09-26 21:19:25 »
I don't think I'll retouch this part. You see, the clothes are "at rest" after a dynamic cloth simulation where I let them fall on the wire (collisions with the wire and self-collisions were modelled). I picked the last frame of this simulation because it corresponds to a "at rest" position (earlier frames were more wavy) - and I deleted these unused earlier frames. I believe the air should remain very stagnant in a place like this, thus there is no "real" reason for the clothes to be in motion. For references, I recommend watching clothes hanging on a drying rack    :evil:
Hmmm Point well taken plus the total gist of the image is complete.

Anyhow good enough as I said!

Cyb

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 2012-09-29 05:07:26 »
Dear Cyb,

I enjoy reading all of your quirky posts please keep it up. All seriousness I feel smarter just reading Cyb's stuff, dunno bout you guys but I love um' LOL.

@Mayo your awesome too that pipe house is lovely! Bookmarking your account. To those keeping track I have the following acounts bookmarked:

SL1982
Covarr
Cuppy
Cyb
Micky
Sith
Omzy
Bosola
...and Obese.

Now Mayo!

Now for something constructive: is there any plans to 'dirty' up the scene? That is the only major difference with the two.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 2012-09-29 05:32:44 »
Now for something constructive: is there any plans to 'dirty' up the scene? That is the only major difference with the two.

Your wish shall be granted  ;D
Behold the addition of smoke... (thanks to Blender physics engine) - again, click the pic for high-res.

Here's the original for comparison.

The smoke is obtained through physics simulation process. Compared to the original scene, the smoke is bound to be much more visible in front of a dark background than in front of a clearer background (which is why it is more noticeable in the back end of the pipe). I chose to render the smoke after having let it "settle", in order to convey the impression that the air is stagnant in the place (while the original suggests smaller billows).

As far as I am concerned, I would settle for this render and call this field scene screen "Completed".
« Last Edit: 2012-09-29 05:35:15 by Mayo Master »

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 2012-09-29 19:33:35 »
@Mayo your awesome too that pipe house is lovely! Bookmarking your account. To those keeping track I have the following acounts bookmarked:

SL1982
Covarr
Cuppy
Cyb
Micky
Sith
Omzy
Bosola
...and Obese.
Now Mayo!
(Very off topic) But bookmark them O.o...but why?
Anywayss back to topic! Mayo that just looks superb! :OO But I'm still thinking should be teeny bit dirtier but meh my dodgy opinion don't count il leave it to you experts ;) Other than great just wow

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 2012-09-29 20:05:40 »
(Very off topic) But bookmark them O.o...but why?
Cause I like what they have to say. :) I consider most of that list a distant pen pal. LOL I'm wierd. =/

Your wish shall be granted  ;D
Behold the addition of smoke... (thanks to Blender physics engine) - again, click the pic for high-res.
@_@ wow that's very nice! I like your version better! Keep up the fantastic work. :D

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 2012-09-29 21:40:33 »
@MayoMaster,

three comments on the render:
  • The 'black cheese' should be a can, looking at the reflections of the original, it is an open can.
  • The studs of the most right part of the shelves aren't correct, I think you've made them perpendicular to the shelves, however that doesn't look right, try to set the more like "/  \" (when you look at the front of the shelve) that should get a better fit.
  • Still too clean to my opinion, throw some noise through the maps, that should help, add scratches, especially on the metal near the TV, the reflection looks too perfect. Try to differ on the metals, now all the metals have the same tone, the ribbed plates, circular steel rings, the hoses, they all have the same tone, reflection.

These are just my thoughts on the render, oh and for the smoke, Try replacing that with a volumetric light, from the TV.
oh..that's more then three  :o

I hope this will help.
 8-)

alloy

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 2012-09-29 21:55:56 »
Mayo master the scene needs harsher shadows. The originals  go pure black at some points. You need to make sure the colors pop out more somehow get saturation up. The smoke takes a lot away. 

Make sure you have your monitor gamma calibrated correctly. That matters the most when it comes to rendering and good color reproduction across all screens.

At this point you have most all the major details set now you have to go in there and add more subtle smaller details.
In the end it adds to the whole final scene as a whole. Thats what ff7 is all about all that small gritty detail in every scene. Its all inspired by all those old Anime. Akira, ghost in the shell, nausicaa and hell lot more i cant remember lol.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 2012-09-29 23:35:03 »
This scene will never be called "done"  :'(
Anyway, I can try to revise some of this stuff...
three comments on the render:
  • The 'black cheese' should be a can, looking at the reflections of the original, it is an open can.
  • The studs of the most right part of the shelves aren't correct, I think you've made them perpendicular to the shelves, however that doesn't look right, try to set the more like "/  \" (when you look at the front of the shelve) that should get a better fit.
  • Still too clean to my opinion, throw some noise through the maps, that should help, add scratches, especially on the metal near the TV, the reflection looks too perfect. Try to differ on the metals, now all the metals have the same tone, the ribbed plates, circular steel rings, the hoses, they all have the same tone, reflection.

These are just my thoughts on the render, oh and for the smoke, Try replacing that with a volumetric light, from the TV.
oh..that's more then three  :o

I hope this will help.
 8-)

1- I had a debate about what the "black cheese" should be - the original picture is not clear at all on that. I was told by someone else that it must be some kind of opened can, like you pointed out. I replied that it made no sense to have an opened can standing among the trophies... though I had no much better suggestions. A cast-iron weight? A trophy base without a trophy? Or should I indeed change this object for a huge, label-less, opened tuna can?

2- That's precisely an "inconsistency" of the original drawing I pointed out in one of my previous posts. The perspective in the original picture is awkward: many shelf supports were drawn too long with respect to the inclination. For the ones at the very right, the last but one is perpendicular, but the very last one is not perpendicular. I actually followed closely the original drawing to do that. The visual "awkwardness" in my render may be emphasized by the fact that the perpendicular and the non-perpendicular supports are connected together. But this visual awkwardness in "faithful to the original".

3- I'll see what I can do about texturing, though I am not sure how to remedy - lots of trial and error in perspective. Then, I am not sure about trying different metals: in the original picture, it seems to me that they do have similar tones and reflections.

4- Well... I've never come across "volumetric lights" during my Blender tutorials, so I could use directions - I don't even know what could qualify as "volumetric light" with the tools available in Blender. Do you mean stuff like cone-shaped lightings? The lights I use are called "area lights" - I don't know how those relate to what you suggest (I know, I'm a noob).
EDIT - Apparently the only type of volumetric lights in Blender is the "spot", which makes a cone-shaped lighting where light scattering can be included, though it is said Blender is not great for volumetric lights. After some tweaks, I think it will be mostly useful for creating the "halo of blueish light" around the TV.

5 - There's no 5-

Mayo master the scene needs harsher shadows. The originals  go pure black at some points. You need to make sure the colors pop out more somehow get saturation up. The smoke takes a lot away. 
Make sure you have your monitor gamma calibrated correctly. That matters the most when it comes to rendering and good color reproduction across all screens.
At this point you have most all the major details set now you have to go in there and add more subtle smaller details.
In the end it adds to the whole final scene as a whole. Thats what ff7 is all about all that small gritty detail in every scene. Its all inspired by all those old Anime. Akira, ghost in the shell, nausicaa and hell lot more i cant remember lol.

I'm not sure how to make harsher shadows. I'll try to investigate on that. There is also a very big difficulty for me: on the one hand, I need to have a scene with colour contrasts, but I need to make it look dirty and foggy at the same time. I'll do what I can.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-30 05:39:28 by Mayo Master »

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 2012-09-30 00:05:09 »
Isn't there a program or something that tells what things are what in each map?
I think i saw a picture of costa del sol map with it.

alloy

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 2012-09-30 01:19:41 »
Color saturation rise the contrast up.

It will make the blacks blacker and other colors more uh saturated.

Idk the original scene doesn't seem to give hints of volumetric lights so smoke shouldn't be there i think.

The tv has that blue green glow all over one side but the rest i clear. Idk what renderer youre using tho.
Don't have experience with blender just max and MR. Raytrace the light bounces or fake it.

Getting the render setup is tricky i know.

Tho hell even in the original ff7 im sure they used a lot of photoshop to fake effects as post process.

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #236 on: 2012-09-30 10:32:15 »
nice work mayo master im very impressed. i remember pointing you to that wiki book and just wow youve done well

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 2012-10-01 06:00:51 »
nice work mayo master im very impressed. i remember pointing you to that wiki book and just wow youve done well
Thanks! Back then, I actually didn't realize that the making of 3D object would be rather the "easy" part of modelling - I find texturing and lighting harder. When I chose to make the "man in the pipe" scene, I didn't figure it would have me play with cloth simulation, smoke simulation and light scattering  :o

Anyway, here is the new version, trying to follow your recommendations and doing closer inspections... (click for high-res). For reference, please check the original a few of posts above.

Comments: I made a number of revisions on the textures, namely by tuning and adding noise bumpmaps. I also added extra noise textures to apply darkening smears on the wood shelves and the corrugated iron sheets. I revised some details on the shelf supports, and the trophy plates. But obviously the biggest change is about the modification of lights - pumping up the brightness of the TV, creating a halo of volumetric light around the TV, have a slight smoke effect to give more light scattering.
Then, I still don't quite know what to make of the "black cheese" (copyright SpooX). I think I'm pretty happy with the metallic textures now. I don't know if the shelves need more scratches: if you take your average solid wood or your cheap melamine-coated furniture, it doesn't show noticeable irregularities even after some wear (unless you have a cat using the furniture as scratching post, but that's another story).
I decided to increase the TV light a good bunch in order to make the colours more vivid (as in the original) and have more contrasted shadows, while also be consistent with the light over-exposure near the TV. However, I don't think it is possible for me to create really dark shadows (say, around the wood shelf) because of the multiplicity of lights (for example, the trophies are lightened from above, so I put a light near the ceiling. Thus there is a lamp lightening the topside of the shelf, but the TV also lightens the shelf from below). With respect to the original, either I'm consistent with the lighting, or I try to adjust the shadows, but it seems matching both at once is not feasible. I chose to focus on being consistent with the lighting.

As always your feedback will be appreciated  :)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #238 on: 2012-10-01 06:08:35 »
Great work! just a quick review. In the original picture I notice that the metalic surface is dirtier with rust and dirt too (not just dust), the blanket has more intense color and patches on it are more obvious and the trophies are shiny gold, not just mustard. Also towels are creased.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-01 06:14:32 by LeonhartGR »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 2012-10-01 12:50:39 »
If you're having trouble matching lights, there is always post production, aka Photoshop!

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 2012-10-01 16:52:27 »
Done a little test for the studs on the right side....

oh and the black cheese, is a ring according to the reflections.

with regards to the blue haze around the TV, it seems they used a simple point light, so the metal around the TV reflects this, and not the air around it. I might do a test for that as well, if you like.
 8)

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 2012-10-01 17:15:00 »
Spoox perspective looks better indeed.
It's like it seems as a different angle.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 2012-10-01 17:55:35 »
and with an added light in front slightly above the TV.

8)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 2012-10-01 18:04:52 »
Great work! just a quick review. In the original picture I notice that the metalic surface is dirtier with rust and dirt too (not just dust), the blanket has more intense color and patches on it are more obvious and the trophies are shiny gold, not just mustard. Also towels are creased.
For the metallic surface, I may consider adding more dirt to the texture, but in terms of rust, it has plenty already. For the "intense colors of the blanket", it is also a matter of lighting. I think you perceive that because a non-negligible part of the blanket in my render is in the shadow of the tv light. As for the trophies, they're not that shiny (I made them very shiny at first, and got a comment that they were too shiny) - beside they already have specular intensity to the max. As for the towels, I already discussed the matter in an earlier post.
If you're having trouble matching lights, there is always post production, aka Photoshop!
The idea crossed my mind, namely for adding the layered tiles for simulating variations in lighting, as Cyb mentioned before. However, I would like to be able to make it without post-processing as much as possible.
Done a little test for the studs on the right side....
oh and the black cheese, is a ring according to the reflections.
with regards to the blue haze around the TV, it seems they used a simple point light, so the metal around the TV reflects this, and not the air around it. I might do a test for that as well, if you like.
 8)

Shall I transform the black cheese into a smooth, large metal ring then? I can do that. Concerning the studs, I modified the right-most stud so that is is nicely fixed into the wall, which may be a difference from the original. However, I have a question: in your scene, does the last but one stud (the upright one) actually touches the pipe wall? Or did you twist the perspective by aligning it closer to the centre of the shelf? In my renders, the studs were aligned with respect to the edge of the shelf - I don't know if you'd advise a change on this.
As for the light, actually I perceive the opposite. I think the air is colored in the original (namely I feel that the blue halo makes a clearly visible sphere, part of which are obvious in the down-left section, where the pipe is "cut". I think it also really shows in the deep section of the pipe, right below the hanging clothes (it is not directly lit by the tv, but blue scattered light comes in front of it). The light (as opposed to the scattered light) itself isn't that blue in my opinion, else it would change the hue of the blanket and pillow case as well. You're welcome to go ahead with a try on volumetric lights on your side to check things out.
Spoox perspective looks better indeed.
It's like it seems as a different angle.
Well, I did try to align the camera to the original scene in the best of my abilities. True, making pre-alignment with Sketchup might have been better, but it was not within my possibilities (and unless someone else has the Pro version of Sketchup for exporting .obj files, it still isn't). Though I don't know if the camera position can be exported in the process.
and with an added light in front slightly above the TV.
 8)
Interesting. However, here comes another question: for my scene, I put light sources where there could be "physical" light sources... I don't know if putting light sources where there's no actual item that emits light is a desirable course of action...

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 2012-10-01 18:44:35 »
Shall I transform the black cheese into a smooth, large metal ring then? I can do that.
Yes please.

Concerning the studs, I modified the right-most stud so that is is nicely fixed into the wall, which may be a difference from the original. However, I have a question: in your scene, does the last but one stud (the upright one) actually touches the pipe wall? Or did you twist the perspective by aligning it closer to the centre of the shelf? In my renders, the studs were aligned with respect to the edge of the shelf - I don't know if you'd advise a change on this.
yes they are, all connecting from the shelve to the surface of the pipe.

As for the light, actually I perceive the opposite. I think the air is colored in the original (namely I feel that the blue halo makes a clearly visible sphere, part of which are obvious in the down-left section, where the pipe is "cut". I think it also really shows in the deep section of the pipe, right below the hanging clothes (it is not directly lit by the tv, but blue scattered light comes in front of it). The light (as opposed to the scattered light) itself isn't that blue in my opinion, else it would change the hue of the blanket and pillow case as well. You're welcome to go ahead with a try on volumetric lights on your side to check things out.

if you walk outside at night, and see a room with only a (CRT)TV on, what color do you see?
In my renderer, there are no volumetric lights possible, I'll have to fake that to achieve that effect.

Well, I did try to align the camera to the original scene in the best of my abilities. True, making pre-alignment with Sketchup might have been better, but it was not within my possibilities (and unless someone else has the Pro version of Sketchup for exporting .obj files, it still isn't). Though I don't know if the camera position can be exported in the process.Interesting. However, here comes another question: for my scene, I put light sources where there could be "physical" light sources... I don't know if putting light sources where there's no actual item that emits light is a desirable course of action...
As for the camera position, here it is far away from the scene, don't know if blender can handle that. I used the walkmesh to position and create the tube. In my scene, there are also two lights (low capacity) at the ceiling of the pipe, in order to light the shelves.

For the 'invisible' lights, that's quite normal to use, and to fake light situation, it used to be used to fake global illuminosity before that came along. In FF there are many fields where this is used. take the NMKIN3 scene for instance....

at the place where you enter this scene ther is a hidden light (there are more in there), check out the original if you like.

For the tube and the lights, look closely at the shadows, also the towls have a shadow which can't originate by the TV.
Since we can use illuminated maps (as the image shown on the TV) that was not possible with the software Squaresoft used, so they faked it with a light in front of the TV.

my current scene looks like this:

Note, the pink cylinder is only used to block the light entering from the back side
 8-)

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 2012-10-01 19:39:34 »
Just as a note, I uploaded the file as obj in the repo under 'testing files', I don't know if you have access to that.
and the double post her is on purpose, so the notification will be send
 8)

[edit] added 3ds version as well, as the obj version is screwedup when opening in Blender[/edit]
« Last Edit: 2012-10-01 19:54:46 by SpooX »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 2012-10-01 22:19:25 »
Yes please.
yes they are, all connecting from the shelve to the surface of the pipe.
if you walk outside at night, and see a room with only a (CRT)TV on, what color do you see?
In my renderer, there are no volumetric lights possible, I'll have to fake that to achieve that effect.
As for the camera position, here it is far away from the scene, don't know if blender can handle that. I used the walkmesh to position and create the tube. In my scene, there are also two lights (low capacity) at the ceiling of the pipe, in order to light the shelves.
For the 'invisible' lights, that's quite normal to use, and to fake light situation, it used to be used to fake global illuminosity before that came along. In FF there are many fields where this is used. take the NMKIN3 scene for instance....
at the place where you enter this scene ther is a hidden light (there are more in there), check out the original if you like.
For the tube and the lights, look closely at the shadows, also the towls have a shadow which can't originate by the TV.
Since we can use illuminated maps (as the image shown on the TV) that was not possible with the software Squaresoft used, so they faked it with a light in front of the TV.
my current scene looks like this:
Note, the pink cylinder is only used to block the light entering from the back side
 8-)
- I will change the "black cheese" for a ring.
- I will revise the position and orientation of the shelf studs
- Concerning the lights: I also have a third light (which has a "physical" source), which is a light coming from outside the pipe. This light is actually consistent with the shadows you see on the clothes, which are projected by the shelf holding the books. On another note, I didn't know that lights emanating from non-existent object was common practice - yet I am not sure they would be a necessary element for this scene. Then, to revise my lighting tests, I propose to make a "Case study" with different light settings and conditions, and putting everything side by side for people to judge. I'll make small renders (comparable with the size of the original picture) so hopefully it shouldn't take long.
- I'll check the alignment of my camera with the scene (which I did manually), but I don't think I'm far off the angle of the original picture.
Just as a note, I uploaded the file as obj in the repo under 'testing files', I don't know if you have access to that.
 8)
[edit] added 3ds version as well, as the obj version is screwedup when opening in Blender[/edit]
Not yet, I'll have to ask permission for accessing the repo. When I do, I could share the blender file of my scene if you're interested (I think could export it in .3ds if you wish).

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 2012-10-04 16:24:54 »
@MayoMaster

Metal objects should not cast white specular highlights but be tainted with their diffuse color ( only a little brighter). This is easy and quick to fix in Blender and will take away some of that "plastic" look.
And do at least one inset with control edges  on the right "puck" to fix the shading issues.
And to Spoox: Thanks for the camera locations you gave me the other day !
« Last Edit: 2012-10-04 16:38:52 by anaho »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 2012-10-04 16:39:23 »
I got access to repo and checked your file (thanks for sharing). Unfortunately, when importing .3ds into Blender, it looks like the camera position wasn't kept (like it imports the objects, not the camera) - unless I made a noob mistake  :oops:
Anyway, one other drawback is that we modelled things at a very different scale (like your objects were 10 times larger), so I doubt the information about your camera position will be of some use to me.
However, your modelling draft incited me to completely revise my scene and fine tune the viewing distance and focal length. Because of this, I had to revise the position of all the items, and I've been also going through a revision of all the meshes. I think that, when I started the scene, I could be satisfied with an approximate position and appearance of the items in the scene, but you guys have raised my self-expectation standards  :-P
I should be able to finish the revisions on object position and meshes by this weekend. Then it will be back to texturing/lighting.
@MayoMaster
Metal objects should not cast white specular highlights but be tainted with their diffuse color ( only a little brighter). This is easy and quick to fix in Blender and will take away some of that "plastic" look.
And do at least one inset with control edges  on the right "puck" to fix the shading issues.
Thanks for the input - looking how you modelled your scenes I could definitely use your advice! - Indeed practically all my items have white specular highlights, I will revise that when I get back to texturing. While revising my meshes, I fixed the shading on the shelf supports (initially with basic flat shading, now with the classic "smooth shading - subsurf - edge crease").

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 2012-10-04 17:33:41 »
Just be aware that the egde-crease modifier most likely wont be exported in case you ever decide to render your scenes in a different render engine outside of Blender.
On the modeling side of things I am course willing to help, but everything seems very fine to me. What could be improved are the two towels. maybe apply (bake )the cloth modifier as it is now, subdivide a couple of times and simply sculpt over them. Should not take too long IMO.
What I did for image aligning was a bit of a pain but proved to work quite well to my surprise once I got it figured out:
1.) Get a copy of 3DSMAX trial and sketchup pro (?) trial
2.) Align scene in Sketchup and export to .3ds ( that should include the camera positions)
3.) Open scene in 3ds
4.) Get the scripts http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17168&sid=3bd6896ffa9be3121ce142f22e941432
I sticked to the Blender 2.52 version, the newer ones never reliably worked for me. Run the 3dsmax script ( it says only 2010 but it worked at least up to 2012). That exports the scene and cam data to a format Blender can read.
5.) Get Blender 2.52 and install the script in the link. This will give you a button under the World or Scene options ( sorry doing this by heart) that says import scene. You select the scene you exported from 3DSMAX and voila you get the cam data in Blender.
6.) Since 2.52 is pretty dated and very unstable I suggest you open your nice and new 2.64 at the same time and paste the camera location and rotation and FOV values from the 2.52 scene to a scene in 2.64. This will give you all you need.
7.) Open up the image of the filed scene in Blender and press Z for wire frame mode. Ensure that the FOV is right as you need to manually tweak it a bit. Rotation and location are always matching though.
8.) I then split the window in two halfs. one the right I stay in wireframe mode to ensure that stuff matches up. On the right is normal 3DView with regular shaded view.

This might sound way more difficult than it is. Once you know what these exporters do it does not take longer than 10 min at best. But really paste the camera values and do not work with the imported camera. I got really weird termination and Z-fighting errors using it, esp. with AO turned on.