Author Topic: FF8PC not playing eyes on me.  (Read 7743 times)

cloud9

• View Profile
FF8PC not playing eyes on me.
« on: 2012-04-29 03:17:40 »
I'm replaying this game and I forgot for so many years to ask it into this forums. Although there was another post like this years ago but my machine runs on windows 7 x64. I'm using an iso so I can mount the disk without using the cd drive. I tried to play disk 3 on windows media player and it plays eyes on me on track 1, but during the game it does not. Any solution?

I'm using Daemon tools pro for mounting. Maybe there is something to do with the image drive, DT adapter is enabled while SCSI and IDE are disabled on my daemon tools. I don't want to touch this setting.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
Re: FF8PC not playing eyes on me.
« Reply #1 on: 2012-04-29 16:59:30 »
I have hunted high and low for a solution to this problem since I originally got the game many many years ago. I have never once managed to get it to work. A solution I saw was to enable a feature in the properties settings on the drive from which you're running FF8, but the feature is just flat out not there on modern machines/ drives/ whatever.

For me, it just doesn't work. I've fiddled with all sorts of settings high and low, tried using different drives, tried the original discs, tried it on 3 different computers. It is for this one reason that I'd rather emulate the playstation version. It's not like there are any super-amazing upgrades from that anyway. Also it has a better quality world map.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-04-30 05:07:27 »
I've had a bug with this one that was interesting. Whenever I get to the scene where it was supposed to play the CD in my alternative drive began to play (remember back in the days of CD burners XD). It was my sister's Kelly Clarkson CD, as it was my first time getting to this scene, I was confused. :3.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2012-04-30 13:13:08 »
This always happens to me. The only thing I can think is that the mount driver doesn't accept the type of "Play CD" signal that FF8 passes it. Maybe it actively searches the hardware for a CD Drive to send the "play CD" instruction to. I dunno.

cloud9

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-02 18:35:41 »
If I burn it to a cd and play it using the cd drive, will it work normally? back then cd drive are Parallel ATA, then there is a like an audio cable that you have to plug in onto your motherboard. But today's cd drive are SATA which does not have any audio cable to connect onto your mobo.

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #5 on: 2012-05-02 22:05:48 »
If I burn it to a cd and play it using the cd drive, will it work normally? back then cd drive are Parallel ATA, then there is a like an audio cable that you have to plug in onto your motherboard. But today's cd drive are SATA which does not have any audio cable to connect onto your mobo.
You are right. I'm guessing the game actually uses the drive's CD player functionality.
Most old drives would indeed be connected directly to the sound card, something I guess you wouldn't be able to achieve with software. :/

Does the track play if you put the disc in a normal stereo?

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-05-02 22:15:26 »
MagicDisc Virtual DVD/CD-Rom claims to have audio cd support.
I've never used that software though.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-05-04 01:17:15 »
I have no problem with the song (Alcohol 120%). However, I have made ​​CD 3 as a mds file ...

cloud9

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-05-04 09:39:11 »
Any other software that can play audio like Alcohol120% and suppose to be MagicDisc Virtual DVD? I'm planning on testing those 2 for the next couple of days, more or less. My pc is kinda working on something, rendering some stuffs.

archerxtreme

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-05-04 15:57:06 »
I use my old ff8 ps1 cd and run it via emulator on pc....i think the sounds are way better. Naturally because midi emulation on pc is terrible most of the time....

archerxtreme

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-05-04 15:59:12 »
most like "eyes on me" doesn't play on your system is due to a midi related error. Kinda the same when it comes to ff7 pc....then again i dont know for sure, cuz i have Final Fantasy 7 for pc while 8 is for my old ps1..

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-05-05 00:22:00 »
"Eyes on Me" is stored as a normal audio track on the CD with CD-quality and thus has nothing to do with MIDI.
 This is also the reason why I did it as MDS.

Edit:
Also with Daemon Tools Lite plays the song correctly.
Surprisingly, with the original CD will not play the song, if you have a SATA DVD drive :-o.
(Supposed to find out that I had to dust my originals... :wink:)
« Last Edit: 2012-05-05 15:47:02 by Kompass63 »

cloud9

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-11-07 05:26:00 »
In deamon tools pro advance edition, there is a button that says 'add virtual IDE drive'. I'm using windows 8 at the moment. I only found it just a couple of days ago. I didn't realized about it when I've installed deamon tools on windows 8. Although when I add a virtual IDE, it will ask to restart after installation. When my pc restarted there is no IDE drive. Maybe because I'm using win8. Although deamon tools was installed properly on win8 with no problem. When I was on win7, I either use virtual DT (daemon tools) drive or the virtual SCSI drive.

Maybe the virtual IDE drive will play eyes on me. Since I've stated before that old CDROM drive have some kind of audio cable that is plugged from the CD drive to the mobo. Did someone already test it?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #13 on: 2012-11-07 11:44:14 »
Maybe the virtual IDE drive will play eyes on me. Since I've stated before that old CDROM drive have some kind of audio cable that is plugged from the CD drive to the mobo. Did someone already test it?

SATA DVD drives didn't suddenly lose the ability to play CD tracks just because they don't have that cable. The audio data is being streamed through the SATA connection because it can support the bandwidth of the audio along with the data. The problem is with VCD and its inability to play audio tracks. Possibly the ripping software for not including it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-11-07 13:26:40 »
Use Roses and Wine.