Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] Ragnarok Rebalancing Mod (v1.2.3 & v1.1b)  (Read 331203 times)

levantine

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Ragnarok Rebalancing Mod (v1.2 & v1.0)
« Reply #425 on: 2020-04-15 15:09:35 »
Okay thx for your answer, i'll wait them, draw much than 9 magics per draw is like a child's dream lol
Also I'm waiting for get some HD mods for the remastered, in hope that thoose would be campatibles with your mod :)

Rikku

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: 2020-04-27 18:16:17 »
Is there any posibility to make Seifer or Edea playable ? Maybe on late disc 3 ?

Ayoyo

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: 2020-04-28 11:33:03 »
Is there any posibility to make Seifer or Edea playable ? Maybe on late disc 3 ?
Chipping in because I just realized I've totally forgotten to bring this up myself as a suggestion for additional/surprise bonus content, something the mod already incorporates quite a lot of. Specifically Edea because I imagine 'twould not be monumentally hard to pull off since she's already playable so the groundwork is there, and isn't unreasonable story-wise. Also the logistics of her joining the party would potentially be relatively straightforward to pull off & fit into the story seeing as she's just chilling around with Cid for the final parts of the game so it could just be a simple dialogue option that pops up. But I'm sure there's a lot on Cal's hands atm anyhow with hard mode and all, so consider this as more of a long-term pitch.

Not sure if I'd like Seifer though, from a lore perspective or otherwise. Seems more complicated/awry.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-28 11:38:43 by Ayoyo »

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: 2020-04-30 07:02:11 »
Making Edea and Seifer permanent party members is possible, but their field models are not present in most of the field maps, so they would not be visible if they are in the active party (battles would be fine). They could be added in via hex edits, but doing so for every field map would mean a lot of work. So I'd rather wait until there's a tool that is capable of adding custom field models to a given field.

I generally like the idea of having them available until the end, especially Edea, as nothing would conflict with it story-wise, as Ayoyo already mentioned. Seifer would indeed need a good reason to join after the events at the end of disc 3, but I guess a custom cutscene after disc 3 could be used to make it appear more reasonable. But as I said above, a tool that supports custom field models would be required before that can be accomplished.

Oh, and levantine, the Remastered version is fully compatible with any graphics mods, like those from Mcindus. Just remove the Gerogero decensors inside textures folder to avoid any conflicts in-game. Sorry for the late reply.

@Hard mode: Needs some more days, as I decided to do a little more than just stat increases for enemies. The standard version will also need a few adjustments. Making good progress overall though.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-30 07:13:28 by Callisto »

Dealer1993

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: 2020-05-04 17:01:01 »
hey there Callisto
I created an account just for this, I have never played ff8 remastered so I'd like to play it for the first time with the ragnarok mod. I want to play with the hard mode option, hopefully it's coming out this week, i'm really looking forward to play it

DrHojo123

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: 2020-05-09 18:31:43 »
Is there a guide for this mod that shows you the location of the stuff you moved around like Pet pals vol 3 and 4?

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: 2020-05-10 02:22:46 »
Hard Mode is now available for both versions, called Lionheart Mode for now. Please check out setup instructions for information on how to apply it (the possibility of selecting difficulty after starting a new game might be added in the future).

Main changes:
  • Stat increase for almost all enemies compared to Standard version
  • AI changes for many enemies (example: Diablos will stop using Gravija if all party members are in critical health)
  • Some enemy elemental weaknesses have been changed or have had their severity lowered
  • Status resistance has been increased for some enemies
  • Various changes to enemy attacks, also a few new ones have been added
  • Some formation changes to certain boss battles
  • In Remastered, enemies now use custom versions for Tornado and Quake as well

Standard version adjustments:
  • Critical hit rate for a few late-game physical attacks has been decreased
  • Slight to moderate stat decrease for some enemies
  • Some more enemies lost the ability to spam powerful attacks multiple times in a row
  • Phoenix Down and the Life spell now restore 25% of a character's max HP (up from 12.5%, Steam 2013 only)

New in all versions:

Expanding on the idea in regards to weakening some bosses by drawing their GF, beating those bosses without drawing it will now be rewarded with some additional items after the battle. Keep in mind that every GF in question will be automatically added to the player's inventory after the battle, whether it has been drawn or not. The idea behind this is adding one more decision-making element to the game (in this case, weaker bosses vs better rewards), so unless the boss gives the player serious trouble, it is advisable to NOT draw the GF. Thanks to Nesouk for the incentive to implement this.

Spoiler: Additional rewards for not drawing GF • show

Elvoret: 10 Silence Powders (drawing Siren will make its Magic drop by 20%)
Iguions: 4 Dragon Skins (drawing Carbuncle will make them lose their Auto-Reflect)
NORG: 1 Water Crystal (drawing Leviathan will prevent him from casting the Water spell)
Fujin: 1 Windmill (drawing Pandemona will prevent her from casting Tornado)
Edea: 5 Spr Ups (drawing Alexander will make her Spirit drop by 20%)
Ultima Weapon: 1 Dark Matter (needs to be defeated with Auto-Protect and Auto-Shell on)

EXP for bosses and the option to disable it will be added soon. Haven't had enough time to implement this, unfortunately.

@Dealer1993: Thanks for the interest, I hope it's not too late. If you need advice in regards to how to set it up for Remastered, let me know.

@DrHojo123: Yes, there is a document in the DL that has information about the things that were moved around. Changes to Pet Pals are as follows:

Pet Pals Vol. 3 and 4 can no longer be purchased from Timber Pet Store without Familiar Ability unlocked. Pet Pals Vol. 3 is now one of the items that can be found as part of the dog sidequest in Dollet when doing it on disc 1, while Pet Pals Vol. 4 is now received randomly after staying at Galbadia Hotel in Deling City. Pet Pals Vol. 5 and 6 can be obtained by completing new sidequests in Deling City and Balamb Garden, respectively.

Nesouk

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: 2020-05-10 06:15:41 »
Great I'm going to do an Hard Mod run once I'll have finish my FFIX Alternate Fantasy playthrough.

goodmorninpluto

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: 2020-05-10 16:34:15 »
Are sidequests and other expanded things the same between normal and hard mode?

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: 2020-05-10 18:13:22 »
@Nesouk: Ok, I hope you are getting more of a challenge this time. The new Hard Mode should be around Requiem levels in terms of difficulty (some battles are easier, some harder), but still below Reloaded Mod, mainly because it doesn't limit player resources as much as Reloaded does.

@goodmorninpluto: Yes, all additional content is the same across all versions, with the exception of minor changes to most of the optional enemies themselves (higher stats, AI changes etc).

DiscoCokkroach

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: 2020-05-10 22:59:44 »
Hard Mode is a very welcome addition! I'll definitely check it out after my Normal Mode playthrough.

levantine

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: 2020-05-12 13:46:09 »
Hello, glad to see you finally realease a hard mode :)
And it's good that it's still bellow reloaded, and did not like this one because the only way to win fights was to spam renzokuken...
Is it now possible to draw more than 9 magics and hit more than 9999 with physical hits in the remaster version of your mod?

Thx for your answer and to keeping up your work :)

Yuey

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: 2020-05-13 19:04:14 »
It's out! I'll be making some time to play through Lionheart Mode for sure. Been looking forward to this ever since you've hinted at being interested in a higher difficulty version. There also seems to be many great additions since I've last played. I couldn't help but notice you added a sidequest for the little girl in Dollet. Thanks for making my day!  ;)

Tingcos

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: 2020-05-15 01:18:31 »
Hey Callisto,

I just finished streaming a full playthrough of your Ragnarok mod yesterday and I had to create an account to say it was an amazing experience!

I never had any issues playing vanilla ff8 years ago and wanted to try something different with my recent playthrough. The rebalancing changes you have made actually caused me to struggle quite a bit in a good way.
I'm probably closer to the middle of the line player who doesn't abuse cards or mechanics if they don't need to, I wasn't trying to get tornados and quakes ASAP but rather letting the game unfold as naturally as i could until the end of disc 3.

I really enjoyed the Omega fight (without using The End or Invulnerability items) I feel like the Yunalesca secret fight was a bit too easy after doing Omega first and was kinda disappointing.

There was a crash after the two elnoyle fight in Fire cavern post Lunar tear which meant I couldnt experience the Fire cavern sidequest. I was playing on the 2019 steam remastered version.
I tried several times on disc 3 and once again on disc 4 to no success.

Overall its a big success in my eyes and I look forward to playing the Lionheart variant in a few months time.

If you have any questions on about the experience from a fresh player I'll be glad to answer them.
If you wanted to check out any of my gameplay footage, the vods will be live for 2 weeks on Twitch.tv/Tingcos otherwise pm me and I can upload anything you need to youtube.

mackoz

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: 2020-05-15 03:39:21 »
hey, not sure if caused by the mod or i'm doing something wrong. i did the beginner chocobo forest fine, went to the basics forest and for some reason i can't sound my whistle. i'm playing with ff8 remastered. thanks for your work on the mod!

Tingcos

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: 2020-05-15 05:25:45 »
hey, not sure if caused by the mod or i'm doing something wrong. i did the beginner chocobo forest fine, went to the basics forest and for some reason i can't sound my whistle. i'm playing with ff8 remastered. thanks for your work on the mod!

For some reason the whistle is tied to Triangle after the first forest. This means that you will keep opening the menu when you need to use the whistle. The only work a round I found was to hold triangle and continously open and close the menu, using images of the best places to proc the whistle.

Changing menu button away from triangle will also change the whistle button as well so I couldn't find any better method outside of the one outlined above. I played on the remastered version too and eventually completed the chocobo side quest.

JLOUTLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: 2020-05-16 03:05:03 »
Wow!!! First fight on Standard mode, gangbanged by 3 Grats. Instant game over. I can tell this play-through is going to be interesting. Congratulations.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-16 03:06:52 by JLOUTLAW »

levantine

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: 2020-05-17 00:02:20 »
Lionheart mod isn't as hard as the reloaded mod as you said (thanksfully because realoaded have nice ideas, but it's really a nightmare to play in my opinion), but bring some challenge (never play to the standard version of your mod, I directly start with the lionheart one), actually at the begining on the CD 2 and I really enjoy playing your mod on ff8 remastered, if you want any feedback just ask ;)
Thx for your work, successfully bring a new experience of this game, could be upgrade in some points, but what I saw is that's a solid mod.

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: 2020-05-17 07:32:40 »
Updated the Remastered version with several bugfixes:

• Fire Cavern sidequest no longer crashes after the Elnoyle battle
  • Some Draw point contents have been corrected
  • X-ATM092 battle model has been fixed
  • New scripted encounter at Centra Ruins has been ported over correctly
  • Cid's field model no longer disappears right after the SeeD mission introduction in Balamb Garden
  • Lefty and Righty are no longer invisible when appearing together with Vysage
  • SAM08G now uses Wild Cannon Blow instead of Blaze, as intended

@Tingcos: Many thanks for pointing me to your stream, it was really helpful with spotting all these issues. Some of the incorrect Draw point contents actually made your playthrough harder than intended, such as the Draw point at the Tomb of the Unknown King containing Confuse instead of Double, which would have helped against Brothers or Edea at the end of disc 1, for example - sorry for that.

The hidden Sorceress in Ultimecia's Castle is a little harder in the 2013 version, as she removes positive status effects with her normal attack, just like Yunalesca does. Such an attack (damage + Dispel effect) is unfortunately not possible in the Remastered version at the moment, but I hope that this and all the other currently missing features can be ported over in the future.

Whenever you decide to give Hard Mode a try, it would be really interesting to see how it goes. Hopefully it will be enough for more than SeeD Rank 1 next time 8)

@DiscoCokkroach: Thanks for stopping by. I hope you are enjoying your current playthrough. If you have suggestions for improvement, don't hesitate to tell.

@levantine: I guess you noticed it already, but no, it's still not possible to draw more than 9 spells in battle in Remastered. I'll try hooking the game to a debugger as soon as I have the time, to see if I can find the new address that controls draw amounts.

It's good to hear that you are enjoying the Remastered version nevertheless. How did the altered prison boss battle go? I've been thinking about making it so that the buffs from the Elite Soldiers don't count towards the GIM52A's Ray-Bomb counter, as it's probably a bit too much.

@Yuey: No problem, your suggestion with the little girl was not only a good opportunity for adding a new sidequest (as the problem with her mother is never elaborated on), it also helped me a lot with understanding FF8's field scripting. To be honest, what I've come up with it isn't very creative after all, but at least it gives another reason to return to Dollet other than just for card-related things, and the reward for completing it should be pretty useful.

@mackoz: I can't really tell what the problem with the buttons is. It's probably not related to the mod, but rather a problem with Remastered itself. The Chocobo Forests are actually the only fields that were altered by the developers (to remove the Chocobo World stuff), so maybe something has been messed up (similarly to Zell's Duel, which also has buttons swapped for some moves). I'll have a look when I get the time nevertheless.

@JLOUTLAW: Was it a back attack against the 3 Grats? If so, then yeah, it's almost guaranteed game over with Squall alone. I guess I should remove the possibility of back attacks for this specific encounter to keep things fair right after the beginning of the game.

levantine

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: 2020-05-17 12:35:31 »
@Callisto : About the boss in the prison, well the first time i try It they just destroyed me lol, first think was does It really possible?
But after some tries, I finally find a strategy for killing them :
Spoiler: show
cast bio on soldiers and buff my team a lot of with protect and cura, also associated lightning in elemental defense.

finaly what can I say about this fight is that this one bring challenge, and need some strategy, also accept that some game over would coming lol.
In fact, all that is what I'm waiting for a hard mod :)
If you need any other feedback just ask ;)

Indeed I notice that in remastered I can't draw more than 9, but I know that you are working for this, no problem, I just use the x3 function when I need to draw a lot in a fight.
An other time, thx for this mod.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-17 12:41:11 by levantine »

Dealer1993

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: 2020-05-18 09:26:00 »
Callisto I got the mod working with zzzdearchive I couldn't get it to work with demaster. However Squall doesn't have some spells by default but the library draw point contains double and the grats in the training center definitely hit harder than the vanilla version. Do I have it properly installed?

levantine

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: 2020-05-18 12:46:01 »
@Dealer1993 Do you try  with a new playthough or try with continue one?
Asking that because Squall have some spells by default only if the mod is correctly installed AND you launch a new game.

Dealer1993

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: 2020-05-18 19:45:33 »
@levantine I think I tried with a new game, but it doesn't seem to matter because I'm in Dollet just before elvoret and the mod is working nicely

mackoz

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: 2020-05-18 20:40:31 »
For some reason the whistle is tied to Triangle after the first forest. This means that you will keep opening the menu when you need to use the whistle. The only work a round I found was to hold triangle and continously open and close the menu, using images of the best places to proc the whistle.

Changing menu button away from triangle will also change the whistle button as well so I couldn't find any better method outside of the one outlined above. I played on the remastered version too and eventually completed the chocobo side quest.

thanks! will give it a try today

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: 2020-05-19 00:42:25 »
The issue with Chocobo Forest controls was caused by the mod after all, sorry for the inconvenience. I managed to fix it as well as a few other things I noticed through Tingcos' stream:

• Trauma boss now properly enters rage mode after both Dromas have been killed.
  • Standard battle theme reverts back to normal after doing the secret boss in Ultimecia Castle (fixed in 2013 version as well).
  • Cleaned up some dialogue and Rinoa's positioning on the White SeeD Ship.

Also removed the possibility of back attack for the 3 Grats encounter in BG-Training Center. Thanks to JLOUTLAW for pointing it out.

@levantine: Alright, so I'll leave the prison boss fight as it is for now. I was worried about this battle the most, as the pressure increases significantly with another Elite Soldier present. But knowing that you managed to defeat them after some tries is kind of relieving. Whenever you think a certain boss is too easy or too hard, let me know.

@Dealer1993: If you're only missing the default spells the characters start with, and everything else works as intended, then it appears to me that you didn't start a new game after installing the files using zzzdearchive, as levantine said. If you don't, you'd also miss some GF Abilities already learned by default, increased GF compatibility values and Edea starting at level 40 instead of 26, but if you are already past Elvoret, it's probably not worth starting all over again.

Just to make sure, can you confirm that the kernel.bin file (inside main.fs) has been installed correctly? You could easily check by having a look at Break or Pain spells. If Diablos' Pain inflicts damage in addition to status effects, and Break does earth-elemental damage, then all is good.