Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Rerelease thread  (Read 309556 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII Rerelease thread
« Reply #275 on: 2012-08-05 09:15:23 »
weird that they would allow people to download then pull it again?  But at least we an be fairly sure about the protection and what it is going to use.

Mods that use ff7.exe are pretty much finished with this particular version.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 2012-08-05 09:18:48 »
weird that they would allow people to download then pull it again?  But at least we an be fairly sure about the protection and what it is going to use.
Yeah i wonder if they put it on there by mistake so they took it down again fast, or maybe they realized the securom protection wouldn't allow people to activate and took it down till its fixed (i doubt this), i guess we will have to wait for official word to see what happened.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 2012-08-05 10:31:35 »
also covarr since you likely now have a near complete PC version there, what about the field backgrounds?  Not touched at all or better?

Terid__K

« Reply #278 on: 2012-08-05 13:03:07 »
What about the FMVs?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 2012-08-05 13:27:38 »
Yeah, as far as I can tell, it was released by accident and then pulled. I got it just in time, for all that's worth considering it won't activate.

The FMVs are definitely upscaled. They look to have done a reasonable job with it, too. Not amazing, but better than some of the upscaling attempts I've seen. No clue why they used VP8 though.

The backgrounds are the same. I suspect (but can't confirm, thanks to not really knowing hlsl) that they are upscaled in realtime via shader. Hard to say for sure, since I can't actually run the game.

I had issues with touphscript and hack7, but this is probably my own fault. Loveless opened flevel.lgp just fine. Can anyone point me to a field that is known to have a typo or other obvious translation goof in it so I can see if they fixed it?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 2012-08-05 13:32:26 »
I should be able to since I have been working on it all, there are 1 or 2 in there that are abysmal.  There was a problem with the "Watch my back to the end... partner" text with barrett and cait.  I remember the dialogue box being broken or some of the text being broken.  Look at original and see if that is the case.

I am not surprised they have upscaled or that they've prob done virtually same with the backgrounds.  I think that being the case we can safely assume that the rumours square lost/dismantled the original work is spot on.

edit.  I will try and find you a typo...
« Last Edit: 2012-08-05 13:36:49 by DLPB »

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 2012-08-05 14:27:08 »
That's kinda nice that they have the upscaling done in-engine, but really? MIDIs converted to OGG? I mean on one hand it's good that the game uses OGGs since we can put the original/new songs in easily without an external program - but it doesn't even make sense that they would convert the midis.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 2012-08-05 14:40:02 »
Also forgot to mention, there are five exe files: four for different languages, and one launcher. All of them are different from what we have (go figure, considering the drm), so mods like Menu Overhaul won't work without being rebuilt.

On that note, there seem to be files for English, German, Spanish, and French in here, including re-sub'd movies. I'm hoping that language switching will be a simple configuration item in the launcher, but I can't say for sure since I can't get past the activation screen.

I went ahead and did a side by side comparison of all the shaders, and even though they're in two different languages, and even though I don't know either language, they're obviously pretty similar, some of the same math is clearly being done, etc. I dunno if that's math that would need done anyway or not, though. More in-depth analysis can be saved for someone who understands this, once it's released.

There is a folder called xarch, filled with .fgt files. I have no clue what these are or what they do.
There is a font included, Sackers Gothic Std Square. It doesn't resemble any ff7 font, so I have no clue what it's for.
There are a few lgp files that I don't recognize, such as disc_us.lgp in the "cd" folder.

I'll take a deeper look in a few hours, when I have time to mess around with the lgps. I wish someone more technically inclined than me had gotten this, I'm really not the best for attempting to figure out what's changed here in many cases. :/

BloodShot: It *kinda* makes sense. This is still an improvement, since we won't have volume issues, and the engine is there to replace it with whatever we want. My guess is that somebody put those in as filler until proper OGGs were delivered, but that never happened. Y'know, poor intra-company communication and all that.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 2012-08-05 14:46:11 »
I won't ever be getting this game or working on it tbh :)  I am happy with the PC version we have at the moment and in time I am sure it will also get ogg support.  I have already made the ogg installer (so people can use that with this download version if they wish).

It seems clear to me at the mo that there are no real benefits that would want me to change.  As predicted, upscaling seems to be the order of the day.  No chance for the limited benefits that I am redoing all this.  :mrgreen:

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 2012-08-05 15:25:34 »
I'm actually curious to see the in-engine up-scaling vs the released packs on here, as well as not having to use FF7Music, as simple as it may be.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: 2012-08-05 15:45:14 »
I can't remember where the typo was...  there were a few of them too still remaining in PC.  I correct them sadly, not keep them  :D

Oh well!  You could always compare with an oiginal flevel with loveless or something.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 2012-08-05 15:57:15 »
I'm actually curious to see the in-engine up-scaling vs the released packs on here, as well as not having to use FF7Music, as simple as it may be.
Yeah I'm still interested, albet a bit shaken. The shaders are a bit more advanced then anything found here. and depending on how the engine itself scales the image it might not need that much filtering. I'm also more interested in the bug fixes they implemented.

All-in-all they are packaged the same way, and the games shaders and plugin folders are out in the open. The game looks to be MORE moddable. =/

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 2012-08-05 19:55:42 »
I had issues with touphscript and hack7, but this is probably my own fault. Loveless opened flevel.lgp just fine. Can anyone point me to a field that is known to have a typo or other obvious translation goof in it so I can see if they fixed it?
I remember a minor typo (well, a commonly confused word error) in one of the PC version lines: "It's you're fault for running around like that!" in Junon.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 2012-08-05 23:30:25 »
They have added the current Square-Enix logo and ding before the eidos logo; it's in the same video file, so they probably didn't change any code to show it :P

Also, have some opening.avi, it's not looking half bad.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 2012-08-06 00:33:12 »
Wow, pretty good.

Now we just need to see how the engine-upscaled field files look.

So how exactly did you get this again?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 2012-08-06 00:38:48 »
They put it in their online store, and I bought it before they took it down. I can't play though, since it won't activate :(

see: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/05/final-fantasy-vii-pc-released-early-then-pulled/

edit for great justice: Pretty much the only thing that changed significantly in existing files was the exe. It's got some securom stuff added to the beginning, about 7MB of other stuff added to the end, but the middle is pretty much the same (albeit offset; add C00 to make old edits new again). The part of the exe that causes the chocobo crash is UNCHANGED, so if they fixed it, it's in the further data at the end. Assets (backgrounds, text) is all the same; if backgrounds have been upscaled, it's being done in realtime by the engine. Minigame LGPs are also the same. flevel.lgp has some minor changes (different checksum, at any rate), but I couldn't find them in loveless; it's by and large the same.

What we're looking at is, at least in basic concept, not too different from Aali's driver. It's the 1998 release with stuff tacked on, rather than cleanly integrated. It is handled very differently in some ways, though. Modified exe, loads a ton of DLLs (counted 29, but I think most of them are for SecuROM), uses Direct3D, etc... The fact that it's built AROUND the original instead of into it suggests to me that the team that worked on this suffered from one of the same core problems that Aali always had to work around: no access to the original source code. Except there's far less excuse in this case, what with it being a professional endeavor. I wonder if maybe Eidos didn't keep the source when they were done in '98. It's a sad thought, but it seems likely at this point; I can't think why else the new stuff would go AROUND the old stuff so much.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-06 03:20:33 by Covarr »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 2012-08-06 08:47:02 »
Well its nice to know it still uses mostly the original files, since it does use the original files have you thought about trying the 1.02 FF7 EXE in the new games folder with aali's driver to see if its possible to run it ? if it uses the same files it should be possible and it would help a lot with existing mods if we could use the old EXE with the new release.
Also on a side note is it possible for you to make a list of the DLL's ? i am interested because instead of patching the EXE they may have decided to patch it in realtime by hooking into the EXE via DLL (although i doubt this, it is more likely you are correct and they will just be securom DLL's).

savage-xp

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 2012-08-06 12:18:28 »
Still using MIDIS? What they`re thinking????

spy__dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: 2012-08-06 14:15:05 »
I have a question. The translation is the same of original PC? In English or other language? I think that they did not change
the translation.

Still using MIDIS? What they`re thinking?

In other posts, I have read, Krammer said that they transformed in archives ogg.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 2012-08-06 14:26:32 »
Well its nice to know it still uses mostly the original files, since it does use the original files have you thought about trying the 1.02 FF7 EXE in the new games folder with aali's driver to see if its possible to run it ? if it uses the same files it should be possible and it would help a lot with existing mods if we could use the old EXE with the new release.
Also on a side note is it possible for you to make a list of the DLL's ? i am interested because instead of patching the EXE they may have decided to patch it in realtime by hooking into the EXE via DLL (although i doubt this, it is more likely you are correct and they will just be securom DLL's).
The folder structure is different (a lot of stuff is sub-divided by language). The original exe probably wouldn't be able to find everything. Like I said, there's a ton of new stuff at the END of the exe, which doesn't appear to be SecuROM-related (that's all near the beginning). My best guess is that much of the new programming is there, and it cherry-picks what parts of the original it needs. Super magic pointers.

Here is a list of dlls that I found:
Code: [Select]
avcodec-52.dll
avcore-0.dll
avformat-52.dll
avutil-50.dll
libeay32.dll
libmpg123-0.dll
libogg.dll
libssl32.dll
libvgmstream.dll
libvorbis.dll
libvorbisfile.dll
paul.dll
phonon4.dll
QtCore4.dll
QtGui4.dll
QtNetwork4.dll
QtWebKit4.dll
QtXml4.dll
QtXmlPatterns4.dll
quazip.dll
ssleay32.dll
unicows.dll
plugins\designer\qwebview.dll
plugins\imageformats\qgif4.dll
plugins\imageformats\qico4.dll
plugins\imageformats\qjpeg4.dll
plugins\imageformats\qmng4.dll
plugins\imageformats\qsvg4.dll
plugins\imageformats\qtiff4.dll
Most of them appear to be related to Qt, which I suspect is only used for SecuROM (unless there's a config screen I haven't seen that uses 'em). I know paul.dll is securom. There's also a few that pretty clearly belong to the new music player (libmpg123-0, libogg, libvgmstream, libvorbis, libvorbisfile).

I have a question. The translation is the same of original PC? In English or other language? I think that they did not change
the translation.
The English translation appears to be the same. I don't have any of the other original translations to compare to, but I'd bet they are the same also. Interestingly, it does come with four (English, Spanish, French, German) rather than just one. Even a few of the movies are duped, with different versions by language. I'm hoping this means that translation will be as simple as choosing a language in the launcher.

Still using MIDIS? What they`re thinking????
Not quite. The MIDI lgp files (awe.lgp, midi.lgp, xg.lgp, ygm.lgp, and some soundfonts) are still included, but they appear to be unused. It uses an OGG player and includes OGGs made from the MIDIs (stupid), but those OGGs should be easy enough for anybody to replace. I bet the OGGs that Sir_Awesome III looped from FinalFan Tim's remastered OST work without anything more than dropping them in the right place and renaming 'em.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 2012-08-06 16:48:04 »
I will also note for those of you who do get this PC release that my ogg's should work fine too.  So Anxious Heart will become the best way to get the free original sounds working with the game.  Very simple too if it is drag and drop :) Of course, a rename will probably be needed.  We will see.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 2012-08-06 16:59:30 »
My biggest hope is that this will bring a lot more attention, and hopefully more talent, to FF7 modding.

It's too bad we can't do EXE mods unless somebody cracks it or something though.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: 2012-08-06 17:01:47 »
My biggest hope is that this will bring a lot more attention, and hopefully more talent, to FF7 modding.

It's too bad we can't do EXE mods unless somebody cracks it or something though.

We can do exe mods ;)  If it is using the same code (which Covarr tells me it largely probably is) with just a different offset, it will be as simple as it is now. All I would need to do is add C00 to my current menu project addresses and the game would be modded the same.  (Of course, Aali would need to update his driver for use with it).  Currently though I have no plans for this since from what I have heard here, it is merely the same game with ogg support, something I am sure Aali is working on.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 2012-08-06 18:26:43 »
Is it possible the other font found maybe has something to do with the achievement system?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: 2012-08-06 18:29:33 »
Possibly, but I looked it up and it's just the font that they use for the current Square-Enix logo. Whatever it is, I doubt they're using it for too much; it's not really suited for anything that requires more reading than a logo.