Author Topic: Q-Gears team needs developers/artists/scripters!  (Read 11815 times)

paul

• View Profile
Q-Gears team needs developers/artists/scripters!
« on: 2015-01-20 22:23:25 »
I see quite a few people in the past seemed like they would help out but then gave up because  they couldn't even get it to compile/run.

Hopefully things have changed now that the project has moved to github/travis-ci.

Anyways I thought I'd start this topic as a fresh shout out to anyone that wants to help out. Even if you feel you don't have the skills then still let me know, you could do something as simple as fixing up the license in each source etc :) We need some artists too to help with things like: https://github.com/q-gears/q-gears/issues/39

You can find me on IRC most of the time:

Servername:  irc.esper.net
Groupname:  EsperNet
Default Port:  6667
Channel: #qhimm.com

And off course the project is here, and as of now there are 2 branches of the project:

Q-Gears: https://github.com/q-gears/q-gears

New: If you want to help and are new and don't know what to do, you can start by checking out the issue list and seeing if you can fix or help with any of them: https://github.com/q-gears/q-gears/issues

And you can find builds (binary runables) here:

http://www.itscovarr.com/storage/qgears/

Some ideas about what would be useful skill knowledge wise:

-Gimp/Photoshop/Blender/3d modeling/animation (if you want to do art stuff)
-LUA/C++ or any other language (LUA is simple while C++ is harder, but most of the code will end up being in LUA)
-Git/github
-Someone with a mac to test mac builds/help get the build working
-Being able to reverse stuff or just general FF7/8/9 knowledge
-Knowing FF7 file formats
-Being able to figure out why stuff doesn't work (debugging)

« Last Edit: 2015-10-07 16:44:22 by Tom »

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Re: QGears team needs more people!
« Reply #1 on: 2015-01-21 12:31:27 »
ubuntu/debian builds are availble from my daily-ppa

https://launchpad.net/~sithlord48/+archive/ubuntu/ff7-daily

its autogened from https://github.com/sithlord48/q-gears-launchpad when commits are added manually so its usually one or two behind . Due to a technical issue with the history(that should be fixed now) i was unable to use the main repo . and now us using subproject it back to being an issue since launchpad for some reason doesn't work with  subprojects. (hopefully they fix this soon )

about mac os i can fix up my mac but the newest mac os i can put on there is gonna be 10.8 . and with how mac os is you usually need the most current build after a month or so of it being released. so we need someone with a newer machine then mine.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-24 14:28:15 »
We should sticky this

Also, whoever does not have an IRC client should use this link: http://webchat.esper.net/?channels=qhimm.com&nick=

(But really, you should get an IRC client, its better than web chat)
« Last Edit: 2015-01-24 14:30:42 by Tom »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-09 09:09:33 »
Is it possible to add inbuilt editors to QGears some day?
I personally looking for an model editor (simple mesh editing, but with an advanced animation builder) and a script editor as makou reactor but be able to test the scripts instantly.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-02-09 12:14:01 »
Its sort of possible to do this already. You can use any 3d software that has OGRE mesh import/exporter to make your mesh/uv/textures/animations.

Then for the scripts they use LUA, so edit the text file, save, and re-enter the field to re-execute the script. You can also type script/LUA directly into the console (use ~ to display the console).

valentino

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-03-26 06:33:39 »
Hello, i'm some newbie 3d artist with abit programming knowledge. Currently learning and....comparing, Lua, C++, Python.

I found my way to Q gears because me and my friends, a freelancing 2d artist, were trying to solve this engine too with BGE and Unity.
But this seems to be the more ambitious project to mimic the original in details and abit more.

We're mostly more into Xenogears, but this engine seems to illustrate similar capacity for many classic PSX Square games.

Currently i just got here, haven't even tried Qgears, or even OGRE, but if things work out and we can bond here,
let me know if you need some custom art and i'll help. We're currently looking forward to releasing our first shareware (maybe commercial idk) game to some sites we frequent, and maybe have our own personal game engine as a reference for future creative outlet.

I hope we all can get along. :)

regards,
Atena
« Last Edit: 2015-03-26 06:39:29 by valentino »

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-03-26 12:34:15 »
We would like to create a small RPG that shows what the engine can do, with 100% new assets. Obviously this is no small task :)

If you join the IRC channel that is usually a good place to talk.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-03-27 13:02:43 »
We're mostly more into Xenogears, but this engine seems to illustrate similar capacity for many classic PSX Square games.

The engine has few exported models from Q-Gears (you can see them in demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPnej8iKMPg). And now I'm working on things related to Xenogears: I want to export all Lahan related walkmeshes and make our walking algorythm work with it. Maybe add Jumping sliding and related things from Xeno.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-27 13:04:30 by Akari »

valentino

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-04-02 05:08:48 »
Nicely, i thought you will be needing original assets for this small prototype/showcase..

We just booted the qgears engine 0.21... and being a noob we are...we can't really find any authoring tools for it, to change the background, set the walkmesh, change character models, or import a new one...

Help?

I read somewhere writing engine is "easy". If you could point us to the right direction, we'd love to help expanding its environment and capacity.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-04-26 13:18:09 »
To see how to change fields/walkmeshes/scripts/models look in the data/ directory, you will find scripts and stuff to get you started.  LUA files are the scripts
And for authoring tools any will do as long as you can convert to ogre.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2015-04-26 20:49:25 »
Nicely, i thought you will be needing original assets for this small prototype/showcase..

We just booted the qgears engine 0.21... and being a noob we are...we can't really find any authoring tools for it, to change the background, set the walkmesh, change character models, or import a new one...

Help?

I read somewhere writing engine is "easy". If you could point us to the right direction, we'd love to help expanding its environment and capacity.

Run the data installer project (q-gears-launcher) on the PC data to obtain pretty much all game assets for the field module. There are lots of issues that need to be fixed though - check the github issue list. The only person who said it was "easy" was Akari, and by this he means to write an engine for this specific purpose I believe.

Also there are no authoring tools, models/animations are in Ogre mesh format. Everything else is XML, someone needs to write an editor/IDE type thing for this data.