Author Topic: [PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry (v1.5)  (Read 251015 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Re: [REL] Tonberry v1.1 - External Texture Support for FF8
« Reply #25 on: 2014-06-16 07:18:55 »
Yikes. Just had a big crash after fighting Ifrit. Got his card and then when it went into the name input screen, it crashed hard when the text loaded on screen.  I do have the new GF avatars enabled, so that might be the problem.

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2014-06-16 13:41:45 »
There's no reason I can think of for that, my dlls only try to set the texture and if they fail to the default texture is used.  Are you using any other mods?

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2014-06-16 14:17:34 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 17:00:32 by dkma841 »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #28 on: 2014-06-16 15:12:17 »
Calm yo tettas sunz :P We still get crashes... Haven't tried it myself yet though!

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2014-06-16 16:16:30 »
I thought Aali said this was not possible??  :o looks like you proved him wrong many thanks for this epicness Omzy now let ff8 modding begin :evil:

For the record, and this is something I have already discussed with Omzy in the thread that led up to this project, this kind of hash based identification of textures is something I have experimented with in the past but did not, and still do not, want to support & develop because of the many unknowns and the hackish nature of it. The fact that Omzy has taken it upon himself to do so is great news for everyone involved, including me ::)

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2014-06-17 02:09:03 »
For those playtesting and trying to build support for other texture types, I just uploaded a debug version--see the main post for instructions.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2014-06-17 03:28:38 »
Omzy, would it be too much to ask for a alternate version of Tonberry that reads 2x upscaled textures instead of 4x the original size ?

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2014-06-17 03:36:01 »
Omzy, would it be too much to ask for a alternate version of Tonberry that reads 2x upscaled textures instead of 4x the original size ?
At the moment, since we are in debug phase and all, I'm not going to mess with the DLLs much unless there's something gamebreaking. I don't think it will be that difficult, however, to support 2x in the future, especially since I plan on posting the source once I'm confident everything works.

Update:
If you're experiencing crashing after playing for a while, it may be due to my inattention to garbage collection to free up unused resources--its on my priority list.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-17 05:04:41 by Omzy »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2014-06-17 12:16:58 »
Will it be possible for you to make a similar tool for the FF7 rerelease?
I only ask this once because I personally have no interest to play the rerelease with is it's buggy directx9 renderer, but other people may like to have an external texture support.

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2014-06-17 17:17:04 »
Will it be possible for you to make a similar tool for the FF7 rerelease?
I only ask this once because I personally have no interest to play the rerelease with is it's buggy directx9 renderer, but other people may like to have an external texture support.
I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, but its not something I plan on doing right now. If I don't end up doing it, someone could probably modify my source for it in the future. I do intend on fixing FF9's graphics in the future though, despite the fact that it was never released on PC.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-17 17:19:32 by Omzy »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2014-06-17 17:29:51 »
I do intend on fixing FF9's graphics in the future though, despite the fact that it was never released on PC.
Yet  :-X

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2014-06-17 18:07:03 »
Yet  :-X
I'm afraid it will never happen.

I do intend on fixing FF9's graphics in the future though, despite the fact that it was never released on PC.
Impressive Omzy! I can't wait for both FFIX and FFVII similar tool. Thanks for your dedication and hard work!

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2014-06-18 01:05:30 »
My reasoning on FF9 is that one of the popular emulators (pSX) uses directx 9, which should be all that I need to use my interceptor. I'd have to rewrite portions for each game, since each game sends its images to memory in a slightly different way, but I'll have to put FF7 and 9 on the backburner, big test coming up in a month.

ElectricPrism

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2014-06-19 17:23:03 »
@OP - This mod is hella kickass, great work!!! :)

I can't wait to see what the community does with FF8 for PC. FF8 is a legend that deserves fresh work.

Excellent work dude.

shOcKmAnz

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2014-06-20 14:57:44 »
it say , , zlib1.dll is missing from your computer

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2014-06-20 15:08:19 »
Then you need to install zlib1.dll. Google will help you to find a way to do it.  ;)
There are a few self made programs which needed it as well (epsexe for example). So you better install it properly to your windows system.

monty777

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2014-06-20 23:23:00 »
I assume since the d3d9.dll gets replaced, this won't work in combination with "sweetfx" and its FXAA filtering which requires you to overwrite the original d3d9.dll file with the one that comes with sweetfx to take effect in the first place? Sorry for my noob question, was just wondering.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-20 23:26:13 by monty777 »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #42 on: 2014-06-21 00:02:58 »
FF8 seems to crash and burn whenever i take a screenshot through the steam screenshot hotkey while Tonberry's active - it has a texture glitch whenever you hit F12 and hard crashes.

Just fyi

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2014-06-21 00:34:49 »
I assume since the d3d9.dll gets replaced, this won't work in combination with "sweetfx" and its FXAA filtering which requires you to overwrite the original d3d9.dll file with the one that comes with sweetfx to take effect in the first place? Sorry for my noob question, was just wondering.
FF8 seems to crash and burn whenever i take a screenshot through the steam screenshot hotkey while Tonberry's active - it has a texture glitch whenever you hit F12 and hard crashes.
These are related questions, I think. Yes, this mod will not work in conjunction with any mod that also replaces d3d9.dll or also intercepts directx calls in another way. Interestingly, steam's method of generating an overlay on top of the game for checking friends lists or opening other steam things which may include screenshots as well also uses this same interception technique, so unfortunately, I have to break it (you can still use Fraps for screenshots). These are the limitations of this approach to external texture support, but its a tradeoff we have to make if we want better textures. In the future, however, it is possible to combine user-made d3d9 dll's into single combo versions since I will provide my source files when this project is finished.

Edit: I've added support for non-256x256 textures, support for non-4x replacement textures (just for you 5way :P), and support for character and object sprites that will be in the next release. This support was built into the DLL but I have not done the hashing for anything else yet--will wait for modders to help with that.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-21 00:54:34 by Omzy »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #44 on: 2014-06-21 00:44:00 »
Wonderful! Thanks for the support Omzy!

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2014-06-21 01:52:44 »
I've added support for non-256x256 textures, support for non-4x replacement textures (just for you 5way :P), and support for character and object sprites that will be in the next release.
Much appreciated Omzy, can't wait for the next release!

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2014-06-21 02:52:20 »
Is there no way to do this with OGL? i only ask because of your statement about FF9 and pSX having a DX9/D3D renderer Both emulators (ePSXe, PCSX-r) and both plugins i use (Petes OLG2, GPUBladesoft) are OGL :/ i suppose i could try pSX, but if it can't raise internal resolution of the 3d models, i find it almost pointless (GPUBladesoft i use for 2d games :P)

Omzy

• View Profile
Re: [REL] Tonberry v1.2 - External Texture Support for FF8
« Reply #47 on: 2014-06-24 01:01:08 »
Is there no way to do this with OGL? i only ask because of your statement about FF9 and pSX having a DX9/D3D renderer Both emulators (ePSXe, PCSX-r) and both plugins i use (Petes OLG2, GPUBladesoft) are OGL :/ i suppose i could try pSX, but if it can't raise internal resolution of the 3d models, i find it almost pointless (GPUBladesoft i use for 2d games :P)
There may be a way to do it with OGL, but I'm not going to look into FF9 for a long time, so I'll do that research in the future to see what the pros and cons are.

In other news, Mcindus has done some more work on Tripod and I've updated the main post with Tonberry v1.2 to add support for his new version. I've also added the following features I mentioned before: support for non-256x256 textures, support for non-4x replacement textures, and support for character and object sprites. I've also decided that instead of releasing an extra debug version, I'll just include debugging in the main releases. You just have to rename the 'debug0' folder to 'debug' and it will work--you can read the main post for more instructions on debugging.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #48 on: 2014-06-24 02:45:57 »
Anyone else having issues downloading?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: 2014-06-24 02:49:41 »
It's set to private, so need to wait until he changes it public.