Author Topic: FF7 without random encounters  (Read 10065 times)

AADA7A

• View Profile
FF7 without random encounters
« on: 2015-12-28 07:36:18 »
I want to replay FF7 but don't want to spend any significant amount of time in battles or managing my characters/inventory. You know, a story playthrough. What options do I have? Iirc, there is some story in some battles, is this correct? This could pose a problem. I was thinking I might emulate the game and hopefully find a fast-forward button as I know there is when emulating SNES games. Is this possible for FF7 on a PS1-emulator? Is there perhaps a mod of some kind which might help me?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 without random encounters
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-30 22:44:28 »
You can use Ochu to disable or enable random battles. But that's for PC only.  Any battle that is part of story will still occur.   For PSX, it can be done (and should be very simple) - but I don't know Ps1 assembly language.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-30 22:46:05 by DLPB »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-31 04:29:15 »
Not gonna criticize as I know it can be done, but avoiding all non-boss battles is pretty difficult on a casual playthrough. Most bosses are story related, but some (e.g. Materia Keeper) are just plain random. Demon Wall can still be challenging when fighting everything. I've usually been overleveled by that point and still nearly lost to it a time or two.

Just saying cause it sounds like it would take MORE planning per boss than with random battles.

I'm not saying don't do it. In fact if you do you should make a YouTube series of it. :D

AADA7A

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-31 13:45:06 »
Ochu? What is Ochu and how do I use it? I'd like to cheat myself to level 99 then as well so the boss battles won't be hard. Is that possible?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-31 14:56:53 »
Ochu (or Oytugh :p) is a tool that adjusts things while you play. You can make yourself invincible, turn off random battles, speed up the game's frame-rate, and a bunch of other cool things.

I think another option is to find the old enemy editing tool called 'Hojo' and use it's mass-edit function to set all enemy HP (including bosses) to 1; that way you can just breeze through. Or for lv.99, you can use the Black Chocobo tool (or Steam's character booster) to set Cloud to Lv.99; everyone who joins the party from there will be Lv.99 as well, or close enough to it.