Author Topic: I lost my PSP, and...  (Read 8025 times)

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
I lost my PSP, and...
« on: 2010-11-10 19:59:44 »
OK, here is the story : normally, everyday before going to work, I take the bag that holds my PSP with me, so I can entertain myself with it during the day (especially while eating, at 12). But today, when I took the bag, I had the horribly bad surprise of noticing that the PSP compartment was open & empty. I looked everywhere in my house, but nothing. Impossible to find it. Needless to say, I went to work without it.

So, tonight, I started to search everywhere, and tried to recall what previously happened to it. Yesterday evening, I waited in my car and I played Brigandine, while a friend of mine went to do some errands. Then, as she came back in the car, I put the PSP away, and she handed me her bag so I could also put it away. Then I drove her back home, went into my house, put the PSP bag on my desk, and used my computer until maybe 2 am, before I went to bed.

Here is the thing though : when my friend handed me her bag, it interrupted me in my sequence of action of putting the PSP away. For this reason I indeed put the thing into the bag where it belongs, but forgot to close the zipper. So, as I left my car, I didn't notice the PSP fell from the bag and ended its course into the wet evening grass.

To give you an idea, I live in a quiet and small residential area, near a school, so lots of kids walk in front of my house everyday. So, when I finally realized what happened to my PSP (tonight), I was absolutely certain that some kid saw it and took it.

Anyways, just to be sure, I had to go outside and check it out. And amazingly, the PSP was still there, at 10 pm ! It spent 24 hours lying in the grass in front of my house (and near the pavement), and no one stole it. Unbelievable.

I just took it home, and cleaned it. It's very wet, with some dirt located in the L and R buttons, and I hope it still works. I cleaned what I can, but I'm not going to put it on just yet (this would be asking to finish it, IMO) - I think I'll just wait 2 or 3 days before trying to turn it on - but I'd like to know what you would do. This thing (I have the fat one) seems quite water-tight and tough, so I have good hopes of it still functionning. At least, the Memory-stick seems all right.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-10 20:19:02 by Armorvil »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Re: I lost my PSP, and...
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-10 22:54:07 »
Depends on a few things.  How much liquid do you think made it into the device?  Is the warrante still valid?

You could treat it like a phone.  Disassemble it and let each piece dry serpately.

I do find it incredible that nobody took it.  Guess people in your neighborhood don't walk around looking at the ground.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-10 23:10:22 »
Well, it rained so I think a lot of liquid made it in. As for the warrante, no, it's not valid anymore. I also don't feel comfortable in disassembling it - I'm not an expert in these parts.

And yeah, I'm very lucky that it wasn't picked up. Still, I fear for the screen... ...and maybe it won't work at all anymore :/ We'll see in two or three days.

Thanks for the advices anyway :)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-11 00:36:50 »
When I dropped my phone in the river a while back I put it in the oven for like 5 minutes on 150.   I THINK.    Do some research on a good way to put it in the oven and you should be set.   Or take it apart and manually dry everything.   And of course remove the battery asap.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-11 03:28:35 »
Submerge it in rice and let it dry there for a week.

rice will sap all the humidity from the insides.

quite a few of my friends have done so with their phones to great success.

ps : obviously, dry rice.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-11 05:09:39 »
Submerge it in salt water - the water inside your PSP should leave by osmosis :P

(But personally, I wouldn't put in the oven for fear of melting something inside.)

Good thing I don't live in your neighborhood, or you'll have never seen that PSP ever again ;)

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-11-11 09:38:33 »
Thank you very much, guys :D
And yeah, it's a good thing you don't live in my neighborhood, Seer XD

EDIT:

It works, guys :D I don't know how exactly, but I was sure that it would still work. This thing really is tough!
« Last Edit: 2010-11-12 13:47:32 by Armorvil »

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #7 on: 2010-11-15 18:26:13 »
When I dropped my phone in the river a while back I put it in the oven for like 5 minutes on 150.   I THINK.    Do some research on a good way to put it in the oven and you should be set.   Or take it apart and manually dry everything.   And of course remove the battery asap.

I read that taking the phone apart and putting it distilled water is the best way to ionize the minerals that may have deposited in your phone from the river water (otherwise the minerals could cause a short circuit). Then, let it dry and re-assemble.

If I did anything to wash a PSP, I would use distilled water since it will leave nothing behind when it evaporates.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #8 on: 2010-11-15 19:25:58 »
let dry in rice +1 .

DO NOT TURN IT ON untill its dry and u should be ok .. leave it for  a week or so .

youknowiknow778

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-11-22 01:52:01 »
yep rice would be the proper way of drying it out next time. Your lucky it was still there.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #10 on: 2010-11-30 12:11:49 »
I wouldn't have considered rice, but usually if electronics are made wet they can still function if they're not turned on and you let them dry completely before you use them again. It's mostly capacitors' faults that things explode. :)

Luckily, the design of the PSP makes it easy enough to replace in case of hardware failure. The memory cards can always be swapped out (and with the help of a PC, backed up) and the battery is replaceable in case anything happens to it. Just the price is too high to prevent me from saying "just go get a new one".

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-11-30 18:36:09 »
Thanks for your replies guys, but I already stated a while back that my PSP still works great (3 or 4 days after the event, I think)  ;D Everything works perfectly, from the UMD player to the Memory stick, to the battery... ...I'm very lucky!