Author Topic: [FF7PSX] Final Fantasy VII: Revisited (Demo 1)(Download Missing)[DEAD]  (Read 66238 times)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Re: [WIP] FFVII: Revisited (PSX)
« Reply #50 on: 2011-03-28 23:33:03 »
It looks like I may just have a day or two to sit around and work on the project.  I am making good progress, but the scene work is tedious and repetitive in some cases.  I have many factors to consider when adjusting enemy stats.  For enemies that are usually present at x point in the game, it is a bit more straightforward (Edit Formations, Beef up stats, Set Exp/Gil/Items).  For enemies that I've transplanted from other points in the game, it is a bit more complex.  For instance, I've stuck some SOLDIER 2nds and Death Machines in Sector 6 (where you usually see Hell Houses) and given them stats similar to other enemies for that point in the game - except these two enemies have various multi-attack actions.  Each Death Machine blasted me with Matra Magic, then proceeded to 100 needle me twice, THEN W-Machine gun me twice.  Basically they performed 2 Multi-Target attacks, then 4 single target attacks.  Other enemies at this point in the game attack the player only once, sometimes twice.  Therefore, these enemies' stats need to be reduced comparitively speaking (they were meant to be the toughest enemies around at this point, but they are a bit too powerful).

Another factor that I need to pay attention to is what can be won at different points in the game.  Seems basic, but certain semi-bosses can give you some excellent items - which in their own right are appropriate for that stage of the game, but once you have 3 of them, or choose to farm them for gil, you can become quite wealthy fairly quickly.

While testing my changes, I've noticed that many battles just aren't tough - but then I ask, "Do I want every single battle to be a challenge?"  The answer is no.  However, I am hesitant to increase the Exp/Gil/Ap/Item rewards for tougher battles because they are the standard, and the easier battles are the exception.  So here it is - about half the random battles will be a moderate challenge.  A few random battles will contain semi-bosses of varying difficulities (some semi-bosses that are not too tough, some that are nearly as tough as a boss).  The other half of the random battles are there for your benefit - take advatnage of the fact that you can still gain average amounts of Exp/Gil/AP/Items from these enemies, because they are not the only ones lurking around.

I am beginning to experiment with battle stages.  Just as with the Hundred Gunner -> Heli Gunner battles, and Hojo ->Helletic hojo -> Lifeform hojo battles - there will be many battles that transition into another battle.  I had more to write, but I gtg, I will edit this later.
=======================
Alrite well transition battles work perfectly.  Now I have a few thousand more options when it comes to altering this scene.bin.  I can basically have any battle transition into any other battle in the game.

Right now I am still just fixing all the little nuisances and whatnots up through Midgar.  Mostly just little things (Adjust HPs, Strs, Item Drop rates, Enemy positions in battle).  The only major issue I've encountered so far is the Elevator Boss battle ceases to progress if a SOLDIER tries to use a Short Range attack.  Two possible fixes - make their attacks long range, or replace the enemies in this battle.  FIXED, but otherwise the mod is looking great.  I may be posting a new video once I get the fixes taken care of.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-29 23:59:35 by xLostWingx »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2011-03-29 23:58:44 »
Progress feels so slow.  Between Formations, Camera Angles/Focuses, Enemy Attacks, Enemy Stats, Drops, Steals, AP, Exp, Gil, Transition Battles, and making sure everything matches the Formations the games calls, then Testing everything, this is taking forever.  If something doesn't work, it prolongs the process.

But progress is being made, although I feel modded out at the moment.  PrC changes are complete up to Mt. Corel (excluding 2nd continent World Map encounters).  Hojo changes are made up to the same area, but many will require further tweaking.  I must say though, that most of the more difficult battles are just plain awesome.  I started to get that feeling while playing VII that we used to get before we beat it 30 times and took it apart.  Anyway, I'm fixing minor kernel issues as I go, but the Limit Breaks and Shops work perfectly.  Look for some new videos soon, but I probably won't release another Demo version, but then again that depends on how interested everyone is.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2011-03-30 00:34:39 »
Oh crap!

I began testing it and it is quite fun. But I found a glitch. I entered a battle with 2 Grunts and 2 Monodrives. One of the Monodrive moved to do an animation, and... FREEZE! The battle still continue, but nothing happens. I can't escape either. Maybe check that...

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2011-03-30 01:50:37 »
Strange, I will check that out.  Thanks for letting me know.  Is that in the first reactor on the bridge?
-----------------------------------------

I have to revise my estimates for the date of completion for this project.  I can get a rough version of the scene done in 2-3 weeks.  Once I have this, I can play through the game and keep a log of what tweaks need to be made.  Or I could guess, but its tough to estimate in-game behavior - PrC says an Elphadunk's Bodyblow (or something) attack is 16 Strength and I gave the thing 88 Strength and made it level 36...it hit me for 70.  So its basically mandatory to test things first hand.  As I've been complaining about in previous posts, the scene really is a massive amount of work, and I'm cutting corners in some areas and speeding through them, Now I understand why some projects die and others take years.  Perfection isn't my goal however, so this won't die or take years...but it may take a month or two.  Much more time than I usually spend on something.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-30 07:25:08 by xLostWingx »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2011-03-30 10:41:04 »
No, in the screen before you put on the bomb.

On another hand, this is really a good mod :D And take your time, if it is gonna make this mod better :D

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2011-03-30 18:47:42 »
Yes, this kind of project takes ages, and I understand why you'd want to breeze through some parts. Still, when I did breeze through some parts in the past (be it for the beta or FFVII AV) and played said parts, it left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I think the most important part of a mod such like this is not to make it seem half-assed. So I take my time... ...Yesterday evening for instance, I spent maybe two or more hours working on a single enemy... ...it didn't feel too good to dedicate so long on a single monster when there are hundreds in the game, but I know this is the kind of effort, patience & dedication that will lead to a great single-player experience.

So yeah, it's important to take your time and not limit yourself to a deadline. It's annoying I know, but if such a mod is your thing and you have the time to spare, then don't be afraid to push back your release date. I don't have one for a reason :P
« Last Edit: 2011-03-30 20:23:06 by Armorvil »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2011-03-31 17:35:35 »
Thanks for the input.  I think I will spend the time to make sure everything is up to a certain standard of quality.  I am very happy with all the boss battles I've created up to this point, and most of the random battles are how I want them to be provided I only do like 10 scenes at a time, then go test them, then tweak them appropriately.  So, progress will be slower, but most of my ideas are working without incident.  For example, I replaced Aqualung with Blizzard (using Shivaless Diamond Dust anim), then Switched positions of Beta and Blizzard, and added a second Zolem to the Midgar Zolem battle (may not be like this in the final version, but wanted to test it).  Now there are two Zolems that will cast Diamond Dust on the party.  Its pretty awesome.  I deliberately switched a lot of attacks and so far every one that I've tested works perfectly - well the Rumahless Judgement Bolt didn't work, but thats ok.  I will post some vids I think once I finish taking a small break from modding.  Just talking about certain things doesn't do them justice.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-01 05:09:24 by xLostWingx »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2011-04-01 04:58:33 »
Well I guess I didn't take a break, I just had to get that Chocobo Boss battle working.  But here is a new vid of some of the battle changes. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVoBmGNVBSs

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2011-04-01 07:18:45 »
dude I've been meaning to test out that demo of yours but I have been way too busy the last week. I'll probably get around to it whenever I give myself a break haha. Glad everything seems to be going good. Nice video, those boss battle look promising. Two Zolems is bound to be a pain but honestly I really like that idea so I hope you don't change it  :-D

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2011-04-03 07:03:01 »
Notes to self:

-Increase Jenova's Defense, Incease HP, Eliminate Ice Weakness, Edit Red Light
-Decrease Mythril Mine/Junon Area EXP
-Increase Serpent's Speed, Edit Viper Breath
-Edit Yuffie Battles
-Increase Str/Mag/HP second continent
-Increase Super Sweeper HP, Switch Atomic Scissors w/ Cannon Ball
-Fix Battle Backgrounds (refer to original scene.bin)
-Increase Gil all around
-Edit EXP curves
-If Dyne dies before Land Worm, battle halt.  Delete something in AI?
====================================
« Last Edit: 2011-04-05 05:33:53 by xLostWingx »

artz

« Reply #60 on: 2011-04-05 04:23:52 »
very nice project
when will it done?

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2011-04-05 05:18:28 »
Thank you.  I am taking Armorvil's advice not to set a release date, but if all goes well, it should be done in 4-6 weeks.  I has taken about 2 weeks to complete 40% of the scene.bin, and I need to create a seperate scene.bin for Disk 3, which will take ~1.5 weeks.  Of course, my demo is available and with gameshark codes you can check out all the equipment/materia/spells.  You could also check out FFVII:  Lost Wing - my first project.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2011-04-05 22:05:26 »
Have most crude changes up to Rocket Town taken care of.  Still can't get Zolem to successfully cast Blizzard...very confusing since it cast it successfully the first few times I fought it.  Need to test battles up to Rocket Town.  Right now am at Gongaga.  Progress slow and not much fun anymore.  Anyway, World Map battles are 65% done, Field battles are 50% done.  Disk 3 is 0% done.  Need to fully restore the kernel because I had to fix Cait Sith, so kernel is 95% done.  Need to reorganize Limit Breaks because many of them caused glitches - might have to leave them in their original placement, or do extensive testing to see which Limits can be placed in which positions.  Have to tweak the shops a little.  Oh, and I need to go through all the scenes when I'm done to tweak Elements and Statuses and Items.  And I haven't done any of the text editing, but that may or may not be necessary anymore - the game is a little easier than I originally wanted it to be, so the warnings and tips are probably not necessary anymore.  So I really have a lot left to do. 

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2011-04-07 05:36:29 »
Changes to be made:

-More HP for second continent enemies
-Turks more HP, more STR
-Gi Cave Boss> More HP
-Get 'Blizzard' to work with Zolem
-Set Drops/Steals second continent
-Test all chocobo bosses
-Tweak Mt. Nibel beasts
-Edit 'Shotgun'
-Tweak Elements/Statuses
-Fix 'Meltdown Reactor' encounters
-Add more 'smoke bombs'>increase price

Next Stage:  Field Battles up to Ancient City, World Map battles up to Icicle Area

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2011-04-14 07:47:50 »
Just letting anyone and everyone know that I am still working on the project, just in smaller pieces over longer periods of time.  I have literally pounds of homework to do and can't spare the time to work on Revisited as much as I would like.  I do have rough scene changes completed up to the Ancient City though.  Whenever I do actually have a day to work on the project, I should make some serious progress.

Has anyone tried the Demo?  Are there any kernel.bin issues that I need to be aware of? 

EDIT:  Unfortunately I was being hasty with my scenes the other day and made a bunch of changes in PrC to 'scenea.bin' (meant to be a backup, not the file I am working with) and made the corresponding changes in Hojo to 'scene.bin'  So bad news is I need to make the changes in whciever scene.bin i decide to use, good news is I can just copy the changes over.  I think it will be faster and easier to use the 'scenea.bin' with PrC changes, and just copy over the Hojo changes.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-15 05:51:50 by xLostWingx »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2011-04-15 18:21:27 »
No, I pretty much stopped playing 7 after I started my new project. I didn't play it a lot because of AVgr too. But still good.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2011-04-16 07:02:43 »
UPDATE

I have completed the enemy stats, EXP, AP, GIL, and formations for Disc 1.  I must still do drops, steals, status, elements for all enemies.  There are many minor changes to be made to the modified enemies.  School work is abundant.  I need to make a few changes to the kernel too (exp curves, limits, initial data).

I might release a second demo since the scene is really only like 30% complete overall.  I decided to make the difficulty increase a few notches post-rocket town since you have a chance to complete side-quests and level up and collect any items/materia you may have passed up.

Gallion-Beast

« Reply #67 on: 2011-04-23 20:10:05 »
Very cool looking project. Can I ask will it be compatible with the PAL version of the game or would I need an American copy?

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2011-04-25 17:41:46 »
I don't know if I can answer that.  I would guess NO, but someone else here can probably give you a better answer.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2011-04-25 17:47:24 »
Ask Bosola. Awaiting that, here's an answer to the best of my knowledge:

Partially yes. Pal have the same kernel, scene and menus files. The rest is something different. Except for a few issues, the demo would be.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #70 on: 2011-04-25 22:37:32 »
It depends on what the current version of the mod does.

If your mod impacts anything in the executable, or your mod is delivered in a patch for the whole disc (e.g. PPF), you will need the NTSC build of FF7 to play Revisited.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2011-04-26 17:57:13 »
Thanks Bosola.

I intended to release Revisited as a .ppf patch, but from what you're saying, you seem to imply that there is a method I could use that would expand compatibility?  I'm no expert at modding PSX games, so I'm only familiar with PPF and that Patch Maker program that VGR posted a link about.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #72 on: 2011-04-26 21:03:25 »
If all you're doing is touching the SCENE.BIN and KERNEL.BIN files, you could release individual patches for those files. This would make for cross-region compatibility, but it would also force your players to manually extract, patch, and reinsert the files, which newbies will find fiddly.

Earlier in the thread, though, it looks like you also wanted to change the names of stats in the equipment menu, which means modifying executable files. These files differ from region to region, so if you want everyone to play your mod in its full glory, no matter which version they have, you'll have to produce PPFs for each edition of the game.

You might want to find another forum member with a PAL copy and a basic understanding of the PPF-making process. I'd do it, but my hard drive has died (again!). I'm only able to post thanks to an old Linux LiveCD.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2011-07-10 23:20:31 »
Project is Alive

Hey guys.  Just popping by to say that I will finish this project.  I have been working full time and attending classes at night, so I've had literally no time to do anything aside from dishes and laundry by the time I make it home.  I will continue this project in the late summer/early fall. 

Just in case you were wondering...
I left off with 99% [glitch free] completion from New Game -> Ancient City (for both world and field content), and about 50% completion [some glitches to fix] from Ancient City -> Whirlwind Maze. 

=======================
Edit:  Alrite, so I went and looked at the most recent modded files that I had.  I don't remember wtf I was doing when I left off.  I found where I left off at in Hojo, but it is a little less clear in PrC.  But, I am doing what I need to do in order to get this project back up and running.  Just needed to remind myself how awesome it was turning out.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-25 02:13:16 by xLostWingx »

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2011-07-25 21:57:05 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-29 17:17:32 by dkma841 »