Author Topic: Thank You WIRELESS  (Read 8313 times)

Midgar

• View Profile
Thank You WIRELESS
« on: 2006-05-21 21:47:01 »
I have been without internet for a week, everyone may have noticed the lack of useless information for the past week. I have never bought internet yet, my first internet was when Netzero had every right to be called Netzero, because it was free. My second internet came from the UIC, which was a dial up, and worked until about 3 years ago. Afterward the age of DSL set in and wireless internet was everywhere! Therefore I used my cousin's internet, which the approved of, but their mother didn't. That worked for about a year, and then she found out and took down the internet. Now I am using someone's linksys and getting no signal except if I am right by one of my windows,and it frequently cuts off, so no more direct downloads. What I am trying to ask is: is there some way for me to never get kicked off their router, and if you have any simular stories, please tell them and how it ended. Looking forward to hearing them!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Thank You WIRELESS
« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-21 22:18:03 »
There is no way to prevent that. Besides, you are using somebody else's bandwidth that THEY ARE PAYING FOR. Frankly, I disapprove wholeheartedly.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-21 22:48:43 »
I think that they have ended my free ride already. I can't use internet for a while anymore... bye for a while everyone...

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-22 01:04:53 »
Move to an apartment building ^^

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-22 03:45:38 »
Most libraries and cafes (Starbucks) have free internet for public use, and it's pretty fast as well -- given you live in the US.

Don't mooch off of your neighbors, that slows them down and costs money...

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #5 on: 2006-05-22 07:30:47 »
...and every neighbour will probably cut you off after some time, probably all routers have an access-list of IP's (or MAC adressses) only which can connect to them.
I recommend dealing with some neighbour on that you will use part of his bandwith and will pay him a little for it, or getting some very cheap internet if you have any, like dialup internet or something.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-05-24 01:38:09 »
Quote from: Midgar
I have never bought internet yet...

Well consider it a good long ride while it lasted.  You can get affordable DSL in the US for like $20 a month.  Don't mooch off your neighbors, it sucks.  Once my neighbor right next to me was stealing my digital cable TV.  I would be watching TV, and then the channels would suddenly change like someone was channel surfing.  I called Comcast and they came out and found my neighbor spliced the line.  You might save a couple of bucks a month, but now everybody in the neighborhood looks at this guy like a crook.  What price should be put on respect?

VincentVal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-05-24 02:17:14 »
I would not recommend stealing from peoples service, My neibor was stealing bandwith from our router, and he got arrested! BUT! if you ask them, then pay for it, Im sure they would gladly accept, now all you have to do it get that anntenna extended to your Living Quarters

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #8 on: 2006-05-24 07:05:15 »
VINCENTVAL:  I would like to hear details about the arrestment. What was the reason for arrestment ? Was it in any way related to the internet-stealing ? What was the accusation ?

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-05-25 00:05:40 »
I would have loved to put an "O RLY?" owl here or on this page( http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0805-07.htm ), but I suppose its regional like Canadians giving a six-month (or somewhere around there, as the longest sentence) sentence to a child molester V.S. here (America) sending them to life.
Problem is I don't know whose wireless this is. I am trying to "use" the school internet since it is after all our tax money and it doesn't slow them down much, but I need a good program for that, WepLab doesn't work with me for some reason :(. I don't mind not reading Maddox and ninjapirate, Maddox sold out to me...

ye-roon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-05-25 10:33:58 »
well someone in my imediate area, has wireless internet. So i've been using that for a LONG time now with my Nintendo DS :) But since last week i have wireless router/modem and am currently using that. And the first thing i did was put in a nice 128bit WEP key thats so stupid that no one can guess it, either then trying to crack it. And i can still use the network from one of my neighbours if mine is down :p

Imho if people dont secure their wireless connection its their fault others are using it. And free bandwith ftw! :)

Synergy Blades

« Reply #11 on: 2006-05-25 11:26:33 »
Imho if people dont secure their wireless connection its their fault others are using it.

Rubbish. I'm in university accomodation, and the connection is unsecured. Uni accomodation is not willing to change the router and it's locked in a box we can't get to, so we have to stick with what we're given. Quite frankly it pisses me off when I find one of our neighbours is using BitTorrent on our connection when we're paying for it, especially when they think they're so damn clever finding a free ride, and the whole thing slows to a crawl.

ye-roon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-05-25 19:15:34 »
well i was talking about a situation where u are able to change it so its secure, but the people dont. your case is: you want it, but you are unable :)

Synergy Blades

« Reply #13 on: 2006-05-25 19:46:07 »
Still, I don't think it's fair to steal what someone else is paying for based on other people's technological ignorance.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-05-26 20:51:42 »
You don't have be be ignorant about the technology, just block it ghetto style, with foil and all. It will make it reach shorter, and If you can, just pull the cable or cut it and use wired internet, its faster and safer also.
I am trying to use WEPLAB still, and no sniffers...
(Edit: I am now sitting outside to use the internet, and I think I know who it belongs to: the guy who looks like a child molester  :-()
« Last Edit: 2006-05-29 13:43:52 by Midgar »

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-05-29 14:10:18 »
(Edit: I am now sitting outside to use the internet, and I think I know who it belongs to: the guy who looks like a child molester  :-()

That still doesn't make it right. Even if he looked like a Cylon it's still his Internet. (I have been watching way too much Battlestar Galactica...)

We have a Wireless routermodem in my house, and if anyone other than me or my housemates were to use it, I'd kick them hard. It's just plain annoying and uncool.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-05-29 14:15:30 »
Naa thats now what I meant. I meant that I was going to talk to him, but now I'm afraid >< :oops:

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-05-29 14:36:53 »
lmao :lol: