Author Topic: FF7 Remake general thread  (Read 84630 times)

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 Remake Gameplay Reveal
« Reply #125 on: 2015-12-08 22:55:16 »
The switching means you'll be able to change over and control Barret or Tifa instead of Cloud.

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2015-12-08 23:04:25 »
I also think it's telling that some English voice acting has already been recorded.  That's very telling.

It's possible they've recorded both VO sets from the get go instead of the JP dub first and then the Eng one later on nearer the western release as is often the case, you can see the JP lip synch not matching the Eng voices, it's also possible they've simply pulled the cast in for just that trailer which would also explain the non-matching lips.

EDIT: Oops didn't realise I wasn't modifying my previous post.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2015-12-08 23:13:57 »
They don't generally pull in a VA session for a trailer.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2015-12-09 00:45:20 »
They don't generally pull in a VA session for a trailer.
To me, Cloud's "not interested" sounds like I've heard it before.   Maybe in Kingdom Hearts or Advent Children, but it's definitely very familiar.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2015-12-09 00:48:44 »
To me, Cloud's "not interested" sounds like I've heard it before.   Maybe in Kingdom Hearts or Advent Children, but it's definitely very familiar.

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-used the same VAs for the main characters, but may or may not have used placeholder ones for Avalanche & co.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2015-12-09 01:27:06 »

It's a signature Cloud line - he says it in probably all media (the line is spoken by Cloud in original FF7 at least ten times. Edit.. far more than that).  But there's also the jessie, Barrett and Wedge dialogue in that trailer. There's no way they've just plucked some dudes off a street for a trailer.  It's highly likely these are the final VA.

Edit/.  There is also "I don't care about your politics". 
« Last Edit: 2015-12-09 05:12:38 by DLPB »

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2015-12-09 03:06:03 »
Actually, as sad as it is, I can tell you exactly where you recognize that line. The only time I know of that the line is actually spoken by a voice over is a cringe-worthy scene in Advent Children where Rufus makes a half-assed attempt at teaming up with Cloud. That exchange irritated me so much, mostly because of the weird dialogue attempting to match lip-syncing, that I can't seem to forget about it.

You can hear it at 3:20 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-t1UyQ2e0

Edit: He actually says it twice, both in that same scene, the earlier one is just hard to hear because of the weird, aforementioned terrible dialogue exchange that has Rufus talking over him.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-09 03:13:02 by StickySock »

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2015-12-09 03:47:53 »
Their voice acting really is crappy compared to other media at that budget. I can't watch advent children in English. Too much cringe. Here's to hoping the remake will be better.

Calone

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2015-12-09 09:15:31 »
It sounds like Steve Burton is back for Cloud's voice, which to be honest is the only thing I really liked about the trailer. I don't know, I prefer the original dub to the English, but they could have done far worse for Cloud. That said, I'm still incredibly disappointed. Oh god, what if they get Lance Bass back for Sephiroth... I mean if anything I would assume they hire George Newbern again. On that note, how much do you think they will mess with Sephiroth's appearance?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2015-12-09 14:42:56 »
They'll surely use their most recent voices for all characters, where possible. That means Steve Burton, George Newbern...

AND QUINTON FLYNN! YEAH!

Seriously, if they don't bring back Quinton I'll be annoyed; his Reno was one of my favorite parts of the compilation.

Az

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2015-12-10 23:27:31 »
I don't really want a 1:1 remake, honestly. If we'll get a trilogy encompassing (or reimagining) FFVII with lots more content, I'm more than happy. The trailer would get me hyped, but I generally tend to not care about games until they're a week or two from release.

Yay!  I get to say something positive:  I think this is actually a good thing.  The renewed interest in Final Fantasy VII will be win-win for Qhimm's, modders, and projects already released. It's true that a lot of the people introduced to Final Fantasy through this won't want to play an "old" game.  But a lot of people - especially those alienated by this "remake" - will.
I'd say the FFVII modding community would grow rapidly if tools and mods were all readily available in one place such as the Nexus. Having lurked for years, I can say that it can be a tremendous pain to find anything here. Many links are dead, and the person whom the site is named after has seemingly been AWOL for years (little to no relevance). Nexus Mods has literally millions upon millions of members, and a page dedicated to FFVII already exists (courtesy of Kaldarasha, I believe). Moving projects and tools over there is the only way I can see modding for these games having any real future at this rate. Not only is it a consistent and reliable place to host your files, but it will also welcome new blood into the FFVII modding community.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #136 on: 2015-12-11 00:39:58 »
Personally I have no problems with the gameplay changes. FF7 is iconic for it's story line, not necessarily it's battles (other than the ridiculously long animation that plays in the final Sephiroth battle lol). The more active battles will probably be more engaging this way. I also love that they're using the Unreal Engine 4. After seeing what Rocksteady was able to do with the UE3 (though heavily modded) in the Arkham Knight it really makes you wonder about it's potential. And it could have great potential for modding. Plus although incredible looking their new Luminous engine sounds like a pain in the ass and would probably much up development.

I do agree, I'm iffy about the episodic releases. I personally hate Tell Tale Games in this regard, and always wait to buy the whole package when it's completed. The tidbit about each release being the size of an entire game sounds interesting though. I just hope though as we progress through the story we can revist and explore different locations as we please, instead of having to load a particular episode. On a side note I'm not sure how it'll work, as in needing to play episode 1 before 2, as the game does include character development and customization. I'm hoping they'll release bits of the game as it's ready and just have each new part downloaded as dlc for the core game.   

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2015-12-11 05:24:07 »
Unless they release tools and they won't, best we could do would be textures.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2015-12-11 09:34:24 »
UE4 is definitely a win-win. Could allow for some tremendous modding.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2015-12-11 20:07:08 »
That is really vague and full of marketing speak and doesn't really explain anything.

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2015-12-12 01:25:28 »
After hearing that this won't be episodic like Telltale games, I'm more optimistic.

I've also heard that there's a possibility for level caps before the next release so we could carry at least some semblance of progress forward.

I would accept this and probably enjoy it. Getting to play earlier would be great if it all lines up and adds on.

My other hope is the free-roaming of the world map added on and not some garbage map with location choice like in final fantasy 10.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2015-12-12 09:37:49 »
Truth be told...  If space limitation is really the issue they could just do the same thing they did 20 years ago, 1 release with more than 1 disk inside of it. Anyway, we shall wait and see how it all turns out.
I have a feeling they might take the FF13 saga approach though, a storyline divided across 3 games but all of which can make the average gamer spend anywhere from 30 to 80 hours in it.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-12 09:41:08 by -Ric- »

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2015-12-13 01:40:55 »
Since it's on Unreal 4, I hope it's mod friendly, so I can make it look more like this, and less like FFXV with its drab and colorless vibe.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #144 on: 2015-12-13 02:15:07 »
Since it's on Unreal 4, I hope it's mod friendly, so I can make it look more like this, and less like FFXV with its drab and colorless vibe.

That pic looks much better than the trailer haha! It actually looks like FF7.

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2015-12-13 04:40:53 »
I did some tweaking on a bunch of screens from the trailer using approximately the same set-up in my image processing software that I use for filter on my video-game project, a soft cell-shade filter, some bloom and increased saturation, and the above is how it came out (threw the hud together just for fun) - here are the rest of them, just for comparisons sake.

« Last Edit: 2015-12-13 04:43:21 by hian »

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2015-12-13 05:50:35 »
@hian, would you mind doing one of those for the shot of Cloud's face after he hops off the train at the end of the trailer? That shot of him bothered me the most, because he looked like a meth-addict, and I want to see if your color tweaks makes him look somewhat normal again.

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2015-12-13 06:13:52 »
Nemo problemo -

Here's a comparison for you -
Not all that much I could do to save this model though. Thankfully, it seems to be one of those "cut-scene" HD models that SE use to cheat to make their games look better during close ups in scripted events, rather than the model you have to look at throughout most of the game.
Nomura also hinted at in the interview that Cloud only looks like this in the beginning due to just having awakened from his test-tube.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2015-12-13 07:01:25 »
I love that you've really livened up the purpleness of his outfit.The reduced saturation is my biggest gripe with the art in the remake from what I've seen, much more than the models.

Zetaman

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2015-12-13 07:19:02 »
In Team Avalanche I am currently working on the guard Scorpion.. I took inspiration of the design from the trailer for my current sculpt, hoping to post some pictures soon of my progress.