Author Topic: FFVI Steam Release  (Read 9288 times)

StickySock

• View Profile
FFVI Steam Release
« on: 2015-12-08 19:31:30 »
In case you do not know, FFVI is coming to steam on December 16th, 2015. It looks like it is a pc port of the controversial iOS "remaster", however.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/382900/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: FFVI Steam Release
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-08 19:53:16 »
I would literally rather they toss the SNES or GBA version into an emulator. This port was trash on mobile, and it's even worse on PC because it's got an ill-fitting mobile UI.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-08 20:32:16 »
If this is going to be as awful as the FFV re-re-port I think I'll stick to my GBA.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-08 23:34:22 »
If this is going to be as awful as the FFV re-re-port I think I'll stick to my GBA.

Ditto. Also ugh, those graphics look bad. Not as bad as the FFIV port, but still bad. If the port is pretty solid, I would probably get it, but if it ends up like the mess that was FFV, I'm having none of it.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-09 00:26:30 »
I would literally rather they toss the SNES or GBA version into an emulator. This port was trash on mobile, and it's even worse on PC because it's got an ill-fitting mobile UI.

Same, i actually played the Android version... Just no. The UI is TERRIBLE even on a phone. I could live with the graphics but that UI in general... Nasty..

Ditto. Also ugh, those graphics look bad. Not as bad as the FFIV port, but still bad. If the port is pretty solid, I would probably get it, but if it ends up like the mess that was FFV, I'm having none of it.

It's way worse in my opinion, i recommend you watch some walkthrough or reviews before spending money cause it is an abomination.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-12-09 00:30:37 »
It's way worse in my opinion, i recommend you watch some walkthrough or reviews before spending money cause it is an abomination.

Don't worry, it will have to be a *very* solid port before I can consider getting it. If I see a bunch of "don't get it, port is bad" I won't pay two minds about it :P

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-12-09 08:07:30 »
It's been a while since I last logged on Qhimm and came here because of this release since it's an android port.
I remember a user was working on modding the SNES rom back in the day (can't find the thread or the user), has anyone came close to do something like that? A proper definitive version?

Since AFAIK we got this thus far:

SNES (West version): (Pros: runs smoothly)
-Censored sprites
-Removed scenes
-Poor translation
-Censored translation
-Game-breaking bugs
-Gameplay bugs

PSX (Pros: Uncensored sprites)
-Long loading times
-SNES translation
-Gameplay bugs

GBA (Pros: Extra content, better translation and only version with all bugs fixed).
-Censored sprites
-Removed scenes
-Poor Framerate
-Terrible soundtrack.

AFAIK the android version is a port from GBA, and the Steam version is a port from the android.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-12-09 14:41:35 »
The art is completely different in the mobile/Steam version, and the UI is terrible for anything that isn't a touchscreen device.

EagleGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-12-10 12:13:20 »
I wonder if it would be possible to mod the new FFVI port into not being awful. I'd particularly like a UI overhaul (ugh, that font...) and a way to keep the Ted Woolsey script (with the censorship removed I guess, it's not a big deal but I do like Woolsey's different interpretations of characters and occasionally playful dialogue) while also having the GBA version's new item and enemy names.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-10 12:15:02 by EagleGuy »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-12-10 15:59:49 »
A script mod will definitely be possible. I don't know how easy or difficult, but definitely possible. UI might be; someone already did a similar mod for FF3.

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2015-12-10 23:05:57 »
not so true Nightmarish as the gba is the best version as you can fix the music and colours with rom hacking, it is also in 3:2 rather than the super nes 8:7 aspect ratio which tends to work better on 16:9 screens, with that being said the picture is zoomed so you may or may not like that.

i actually completed FF6 on an android 5" phone when it came out on it, it was reallly nice to play FF6 without a horrible text font, but the battle interface was terrible, ff5 interface was perfect.

but yeah the interface will be really bad with a keyboard for ff6, i have ff5 android port on pc and it is literally just using the keyboard to move between actions which are designed for touch interface, it will be really really bad on the ff6 one, if they allowed mouse pointer on screen for battles it might be okay, you can even do that right now using an android emulator for pc and play it that way but there are some issues, mostly related to pressing the back button.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2015-12-14 15:20:15 »

kenichi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2015-12-16 21:32:42 »
my friends send gift me this game and i starting play but will be any mods changing battle interface probably?

picklejar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2015-12-17 01:37:08 »
Saw this link today:

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way/

Relevant.

Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed that article. Very impressive what the upscaling algorithms can do these days!