Author Topic: change FF7 battle music  (Read 5973 times)

phyzix

• View Profile
change FF7 battle music
« on: 2015-09-05 06:34:52 »
 I was installing Tifa's mod again and I was looking everywhere on the BFE for an option to keep the current field music on during battles. After pulling some hair out I remembered to my dissapointment that that option was on the New Threat mod and not Tifa's mod, however I'm still getting really sick of that battle bgm playing every ten seconds, and I was wondering if there is any way I could include that tweak alongside the mods that are already available. I'm not 100% sure how modding works but I'm doubting that it would be as simple as moving files from one mod to another. Any help appreciated.

:-o

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: change FF7 battle music
« Reply #1 on: 2015-09-05 15:07:02 »
The music option in NT is handled by some flevel script in each field screen that has random battles in it, and unfortunately flevel script is the most problematic part to share between mods (for instance, if you copied out NT's field script then you'd be getting everything else and not just the music option).

I think your best bet would be to add the command line that sets battle mode to not play the Battle BGM; it'd take an hour or two to get it done, but it'd be a case of just copy-pasting it into each field screen that has random battles on it. Open your flevel with Makou Reactor (make sure it has writing permissions and that you can save changes; do one field screen and try saving/loading it to make sure the changes persist) and then go into Field 116: md1stin; this is the first field in the game that you play on.

Click on the 'dir' group and the S0 - Init script. These Init scripts are the first thing that are run when a field screen is loaded, and are generally the best place to put a battle mode function. You want to add the command line to set the battle mode to not play Battle BGM right at the end, the line above Return (which is the end of the script) so click on Line 14 and then click on the green + button to add a line.

From the new window that appears, select Modules for the top drop-down menu, and then select Battle Mode 1 from the 2nd drop-down menu (the contents of the 2nd menu depend on what is selected for the 1st menu). You'll see a bunch of Flags all marked with a 0. Set a '1' in the third flag, and the text above should change to read: Battle mode: Do not play the battle victory music. This actually disables the Battle BGM as well so that field music plays instead.

Hit OK, and the new command line should appear in your Init script. Now right-click it and select 'copy', and get ready to paste that into the Init script of each field that has random battles in it (try to favour the Direct/Dir group when you can). The two problems that will arise with this are boss battles not using their specific BGM, and areas where the music is handled differently or that has no proper music (Great Glacier and certain fields in the Underwater Reactor for instance). To get around that, you'll need to either avoid placing the Battle Mode command in any field screen where a boss appears, or go a little deeper into the scripts and add a Battle Mode: None to the script prior to the command that starts the boss battle.

phyzix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-09-06 01:15:27 »
Wow man, thanks Chief for such a quick and detailed reply. That doesn't sound too hard at all, I'm gonna get started right now ;D Thanks again!

-
-
-

UPDATE: Awesome, it works great. Now comes the tedious part.
« Last Edit: 2015-09-06 02:43:41 by phyzix »

phyzix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-07 10:09:29 »
If, like me, anyone else out there gets tired of that same random battle music cutting in every 15 seconds then I may have an easy solution for you. I've modded my own flevel.lgp file to have most of the maps in the game keep the field music on instead of playing the default battle BGM when you get in a fight. In places like the Temple of the Ancients and the ShinRa mansion, I find this really helps keep the vibe intact. The default track isn't gone forever though, it still plays in fights on the world map and on a few others. If you feel like giving it a try then all you need to do is replace your ff7/data/field/flevel.lgp file with this one I'm linking (make sure to save your original somewhere else first in case you want to go back ;]).

<snip>

Hope someone else enjoys this as much as I do. Cheers.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-07 12:18:17 by Vgr »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-07 12:20:13 »
We do not allow posting links to the game's files here. If you wish to distribute such a change, you will need to make it as a patch and distribute that. -Vgr

phyzix

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-12-08 02:00:58 »
oh bummer, sorry folks my bad  :-X