Author Topic: New Project: Bombing Mission!  (Read 527343 times)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: New Project: Bombing Mission!
« Reply #675 on: 2010-07-16 20:57:28 »
My issue is that the lower face looks too feminine. The lips seem to give it away, as does the redness under the yes. Hard to tell in-game, though.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #676 on: 2010-07-16 21:29:47 »
Is everone dead set on keeping the chibi cloud face features like they are now (apart from bosola)?  I still think it needs a lot of changing to be more faithful to the original.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: 2010-07-16 21:31:37 »
I think he could be a bit more anime/moe and less realistic, if that's what you mean...

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #678 on: 2010-07-16 22:21:24 »
I don't wanna keep repeating myself because it'll sound like I'm whining when it's not really my place, and considering everyone seems to like it how it is - but yeah, that's kinda what I'm saying. Compare the original apz cloud face to the original model, then do the same with the new timu/millenia face. In fact, the entire new head looks like it was taken straight off the battle model with minimal modifying. It just doesn't have the style the original had.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: 2010-07-16 22:35:08 »

small compilation in PS,
to see the clouds in the 'natural' environment  :-)

Must be carefull things don't become to crowdy/busy...

Still I think it looks beautifull, exept for the L-bows, a bit to anorexic. ::)

(Still no train...)

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #680 on: 2010-07-16 23:05:42 »
Okay, For the Chibi, seeing him in the environment makes the arms seem less weird. But there is a problem with the connection of forearm to the skinny piece there. If you could make that transition a little smoother, and maybe beef those arms up just a little, that would be nice  :)

Another option would be dumbing down the chibi a bit as mentioned earlier.
Sorry for whining so much, It's just that I understand the dedication to the original skeletons but with a new body, a reference to the old model is better than an exact copy with updated textures. Those arms are just hard to look at lol.  ;D

albertopsp

• Spanish NoOb (Or so I think) xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: 2010-07-16 23:11:11 »
This chibi cloud is real?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: 2010-07-16 23:15:04 »
Of course it is.  ;D

Miseru

• "Help! One of my main characters is black!" - xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: 2010-07-16 23:57:19 »
 Frankly I'm more curious about Barret chibi. :3 Hehe he's the first chibi model of the playable characters to be seen ingame if my memory doesn't fail me(Aerith doesn't count as it's just a movie). Oversized top and tiny legs(only legs? XD) that'll be hilarious to see. A pity through it's a "Bombing Mission" not Mission: Date:P with those two models there will be at least 1 person to play over with them over date part having Barret with most love points - me.

Defensive stance:
 And no I'm not one of those guys who create deep relationship with an ingame character and feel gay if they don't get Aerith/Tifa/Yuffie on their gold saucer date=]. I take that part of the game quite hilarious.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #684 on: 2010-07-17 00:18:42 »
it looks really good. it looks to me completely like a chibi version of the new clould.at first the style of the head looks a bit off but then if you consider what the original cloud battle model's head looks like the old chibi really has the same one. i think if they are all done like that it will really improve the field alot.

also i for one can't wait to see barret....

romeo14

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: 2010-07-17 04:31:25 »
wow, the battle cloud is amazing and i wouldnt change a thing  :lol:
the only suggestion i have is that in the chibi version the elbow/bicep area doesnt look right to me so thin, maybe it could be beefed up just abit. maybe like 25% bigger

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: 2010-07-17 05:01:19 »
a little update for you wonderful people :P

1. thanx for all the comparisons NCS in one nice post, i have ideas on how to fairly quickly and easily fix up the face, but, that'll be tomorrow, i'm too tired now.
2. As to cloud's elbows, i imagine you're all refering to the chibi version, well... this is my best interpretation of the... 12 or so polygons that made up his arm :P. It both follows the sillhouette, and adds an entertaining style. I might expand his biceps a bit, to give him a bit more tone, but as to the elbow, i'd rather keep it as it is. As Kudistos points out, we're going for something kinda moe... the oversides forarms/hands, give a slightly cute, offbalance feel to the character, and expanding the elbows would reduce that quite a bit.
3. Barret is undergoing an overhaul, his uvs need to be redone (most of the old texture will stay, just needs to be scaled down/adjusted). Among the updates he'll receive :

-updated proportions (the old model was much less buff/giant/uber than the original)
-dog tags
-belt with ammo
-his gunarm-stub wont be screwed up (right now the skin part is solid black, and the gun bit.. not sure of... but yea it'll get fixed)

Stay tuned for updates tomorrow!

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: 2010-07-17 05:13:12 »
I think Barret's fine as it is(at least for me). I thought that black part in his arm was a cloth or something to cover his arms(how stupid of me). Tomorrows a good day. ;D

Edit: Btw the dog tags and belt with ammo. Those aren't in the original model am I right? So you're going to add some things to your models to make it better? I can think of something that can be added to some characters to make them look good. :)
« Last Edit: 2010-07-17 05:17:06 by nikfrozty »

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: 2010-07-17 05:17:20 »
So, tomorrow then. So i can stop checking this thread for updates :lol:

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: 2010-07-17 05:19:21 »
Edit: Btw the dog tags and belt with ammo. Those aren't in the original model am I right? So you're going to add some things to your models to make it better? I can think of something that can be added to some characters to make them look good. :)

well, new things that are not in any model, but are in the concept art/cinematics. the belt was in the old model tho :P. same with cloud, the old model dident have a lot of details we put in (the armbands that are black/white on each arm, studs on the gloves, belt, bolts on the bangle and pauldron etc) the list goes on. Point is we want the content released to be as awesome as possible ^^

Tyr

• "To be forgotten is worse than death"
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: 2010-07-17 09:01:53 »
Very cool stuff, I'm a modeller and can help out if you need it. ;)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: 2010-07-17 15:01:36 »

Indeed we do. I think the only battle model that we have left is mono drive (the rest have been spoken for). We do also have a few field scenes that need to be worked on. As well as a few random things like the save point and potion.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: 2010-07-17 15:43:16 »

Can we see some of your work?

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: 2010-07-17 16:11:15 »
On the topic of Cloud's lips:
look at the ending videos they show Cloud's face a lot.  His lips are almost non existent and I think this model should try to mimic the CG cloud the most.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: 2010-07-17 17:03:51 »

thoughts?

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: 2010-07-17 17:06:18 »
Right side i think

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: 2010-07-17 17:08:49 »
Right side is better. However, I think you're better off starting from scratch with his face for the chibi model. Since the battle and chibi models have such different artistic styles, I don't think that resizing the battle model's face is going to work.

What might work is some kind of chibification of the face of Cloud's model in the original game's FMVs.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: 2010-07-17 17:19:12 »
er.. the right n left sides are the same, the line is just my 3d camera floating around obnoxiously...

@ kudi
What might work is some kind of chibification of the face of Cloud's model in the original game's FMVs.

i didnt understand that at all ^^"

I kinda like using the same texture for chibi and battle as 1, it saves production time, and 2. adds consistency.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: 2010-07-17 17:32:45 »
er.. the right n left sides are the same, the line is just my 3d camera floating around obnoxiously...

Really? Maybe his hair style made the two sides of his face look different ;D

@ kudi

i didnt understand that at all ^^"

Well, the current prototype is a chibification of the battle model, right?It's the battle model with the proportions changed to more chibi-like ones. What I'm saying is that the face would look better if it were a chibification of the face of Cloud used in the FMVs of the original game. The FMVs may have been lower quality than the current battle model, but the faces are more conducive to chibi models because they were like 3D anime charactersn with very smooth, simple faces. The battle model is great as a battle model because realistic proportions go well with realistic features. Unfortunately, chibi proportions don't go well with realistic facial features. As a general rule, games that use chibi-style models tend to give them extremely simple faces with little difference in colour and tiny noses (see FF9 and the DS remake of FF3). Peronally I'd rather have chibi models with extremely smooth textures (kind of like N64 models), but FF9 and FF3DS are good examples of chibis with more detailed textures that still look good.

Tyr

• "To be forgotten is worse than death"
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: 2010-07-17 18:32:33 »

Can we see some of your work?
I have only made weapon models so far. I'm haven't got anything cool to show. But I would like to help anyway I can :D